Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,975
    Forum Member
    Mmmm, frozen carrots! ;)

Anna's got a great recipe for Christmas dinner sorbet from her new Heston cookbook :D
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I thought it was realistic, due to Tracy's many misdeeds over the years.

Those in the pub were all long-term neighbours who have either been at - or, witness to- the wrong end of her tongue.

Her own ( step) father knows her the best of all. He may love her - but I doubt that he likes her. He will forgive her, though. What else can he do - he has to consider Amy...

Her selfish machinations always involve & hurt other people.

Unfortunately, I know a, 'real-life' Tracy. She has caused so much pain !!

IMO, Kate Forde is a brilliant actress :)

You certainly wouldn't want your neighbours knowing about whatever relationship difficulties you were having though.

That's always a massive SOR in soaps, arguing in front of a large group of people when most people do so in private.....there are a whole load of reasons why it is never a good idea to air your dirty linen in public.
  • Options
    CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You'll never get an ambulance on Christmas day; not for love nor money"

Norris, when complaining to Kevin and Tim, mustn't have remembered his own accident on Christmas day in 2002 when he required the use of an ambulance after falling over in Emilys kitchen, and one arrived within minutes.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    nessa said alex was with his friends at the day centre

which is open on christmas day?

Erica was in the cast but i didnt see her. as mention

no Gary and no Jason, Alya or her grandad either

the first view in Emily's house since the move to the new studios

BIB: I thought she said he was with his friends from the day centre which means they could have been anywhere. It's a variation on the sleepover, though, as an excuse for the absence of characters.
  • Options
    TNPCATNPCA Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    You certainly wouldn't want your neighbours knowing about whatever relationship difficulties you were having though.

That's always a massive SOR in soaps, arguing in front of a large group of people when most people do so in private.....there are a whole load of reasons why it is never a good idea to air your dirty linen in public.

My dad owned pubs when I was in my teens and I remember helping collecting glasses etc and being shocked at what people would argue about in public / pour drinks over each other etc in a local similar to the RR where people know you.

One couple would break up in the pub at least once a month. One time they both stormed out leaving their kids there for hours before she came back for them.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I thought that too. Even if they didn't approve of Tracy it was horrible the way Robert asked her about Rob in public - and that was an SOR too. Why didn't he wait till they were alone? It would have been more in character.

Why should they consider her "feelings"? If it was anyone else Tracy would just sneer and make remarks. She deserves all she gets, just a pity she doesn't get humiliated or shown up enough during the year, too many characters take crap from her.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,975
    Forum Member
    Why should they consider her "feelings"? If it was anyone else Tracy would just sneer and make remarks. She deserves all she gets, just a pity she doesn't get humiliated or shown up enough during the year, too many characters take crap from her.

It's not so much that they should consider her feelings, but that they shouldn't come down to her level. Ganging up on people or enjoying their discomfort is horrible behaviour, no matter what Tracy or anyone has done to deserve it. Nice, principled people would not do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TNPCA wrote: »
    My dad owned pubs when I was in my teens and I remember helping collecting glasses etc and being shocked at what people would argue about in public / pour drinks over each other etc in a local similar to the RR where people know you.

One couple would break up in the pub at least once a month. One time they both stormed out leaving their kids there for hours before she came back for them.

The drawback to it though is everyone knowing your private business and judging you and also a loss of status within your community. There are clearly some people who simply don't care, hence them doing it repeatedly in public.
  • Options
    TNPCATNPCA Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    The drawback to it though is everyone knowing your private business and judging you and also a loss of status within your community. There are clearly some people who simply don't care, hence them doing it repeatedly in public.

Like Tracey, these were people who probably don't care what people think or status (Robert's character doesn't seem like the type to do it in public though)
  • Options
    Jane_Lee3Jane_Lee3 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is an SOR?
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane_Lee3 wrote: »
    What is an SOR?

Suspension of reality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suspension of reality.

Oh how bloomin' obvious haha. Thank you! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TNPCA wrote: »
    Like Tracey, these were people who probably don't care what people think or status (Robert's character doesn't seem like the type to do it in public though)

Robert's actions were totally out of character and implausible. He seems emotionally intelligent and quite sensitive (God knows what he is doing with Tracy).
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What type of cancer does Hope have?
  • Options
    Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Luke still staying in Tyrone's? Why doesn't go and stay in Maria's empty flat while she is away? Can't be easy having being a family with two small kids, one a sick kid and some lodger constantly in the bathroom when your youngster needs it...
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

Tracey might be a vile horrible cow, but she is their vile horrible cow that some of them have known all her life and supported her when she has done far worse than just two timing a boyfriend!
    I think it would be unusual for friends and family to do nothing while a stranger humiliates on of their own. (even if she deserves it)
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She doesn't have any friends except for Beth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapster1 wrote: »
    Is Luke still staying in Tyrone's? Why doesn't go and stay in Maria's empty flat while she is away? Can't be easy having being a family with two small kids, one a sick kid and some lodger constantly in the bathroom when your youngster needs it...

This is what I find so stupid and pathetic and laughable about the soaps; how people constantly live with each other, and distant relatives who have not seen the people in the street (or square) for decades, just move in. If a random second cousin of mine who I had not seen since 1979 came to my house and expected to live here, I would send them off with a foot up their @rse. I am not even keen on visitors, and start watching the clock after half an hour when they're here; I am pretty sure I would never have anyone living here; and certainly not a flippin' work colleague!

And everyone in the Corrie (And EE) seems to share 2 bed terraced houses with 10 other people. WTF! Daft. Just daft.
    It's also ridiculous how they get a job within a day of appearing. That silly cow Vanessa getting a job at Audrey's is singularly the most stupid storyline this year (for me.) As if that would happen. Audrey hates her, she doesn't know her that well, and the woman is not a qualified hairdresser! 'Oh I cut my niece's hair once in 1980, so I can be a hairdresser.' How about I administered some aspirin to my nephew in 1990, so I am a qualified doctor!

Stupid!

And re Tracey; I agree. As if her dad would have thrown her out for sort of two timing Rob! And then let Rob stay while Tracey sleeps on the streets!
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    This is what I find so stupid and pathetic and laughable about the soaps; how people constantly live with each other, and distant relatives who have not seen the people in the street (or square) for decades, just move in. If a random second cousin of mine who I had not seen since 1979 came to my house and expected to live here, I would send them off with a foot up their @rse. I am not even keen on visitors, and start watching the clock after half an hour when they're here; I am pretty sure I would never have anyone living here; and certainly not a flippin' work colleague!

And everyone in the Corrie (And EE) seems to share 2 bed terraced houses with 10 other people. WTF! Daft. Just daft.
    It's also ridiculous how they get a job within a day of appearing. That silly cow Vanessa getting a job at Audrey's is singularly the most stupid storyline this year (for me.) As if that would happen. Audrey hates her, she doesn't know her that well, and the woman is not a qualified hairdresser! 'Oh I cut my niece's hair once in 1980, so I can be a hairdresser.' How about I administered some aspirin to my nephew in 1990, so I am a qualified doctor!

Stupid!

And re Tracey; I agree. As if her dad would have thrown her out for sort of two timing Rob! And then let Rob stay while Tracey sleeps on the streets!
    To be fair, Nessa did say she was qualified and had worked at a posh salon in town . . . . but she was taken on on a trial basis, so really Audrey has every right to tell her the trial hasn't worked out.
  • Options
    MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    To be fair, Nessa did say she was qualified and had worked at a posh salon in town . . . . but she was taken on on a trial basis, so really Audrey has every right to tell her the trial hasn't worked out.

but, in true Corrie style, simply rolls her eyes every time Nessa lets her down. :(
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Cuishla wrote: »
    "You'll never get an ambulance on Christmas day; not for love nor money"

Norris, when complaining to Kevin and Tim, mustn't have remembered his own accident on Christmas day in 2002 when he required the use of an ambulance after falling over in Emilys kitchen, and one arrived within minutes.

What Norris said was complete rubbish anyway, things don't just stand still because its Christmas.
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dial 999
    "thank you for calling the emergency services. we are now closed until january the 4th" :o

who the hell writes these scripts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »

I musta missed that bit! :o

Convenient though eh?

And still, Audrey was within her rights to say no, and she should definitely say 'on yer bike!' now, seeing as how Vanessa has not showed one single sign that she is a qualified hairdresser, and is bone idle..
    dial 999
    "thank you for calling the emergency services. we are now closed until january the 4th" :o

What was that one?
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dial 999

What was that one?

Steve is referring to Norris saying something along the lines of "you can't get an Ambulance for love nor money on Christmas Day" :D
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the amount of people they shoehorn into each house, often on the flimsiest of pretences, it was interesting that in the last episode, Tracey actually referred to their house as a "tiny little two up, two down! :D
This discussion has been closed.