Options

Why hasn't Madonna had a #1 in the U.S. since 2000?

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Here’s a list of her singles which have charted on the Billboard Hot 100 since 2000:

American Pie #29
Music #1
Don’t Tell Me #4
What It Feels Like for a Girl #23
Die Another Day #8
American Life #37
Me Against the Music #35
Hung Up #7
Sorry #58
4 Minutes #3
Give It 2 Me #57
Celebration #71
Give Me All Your Luvin’ #10

I can understand why she’s struggling to get a hit single in today's music industry, but her success on the Hot 100 diminished over 12 years ago. 4 Minutes was a hit, but I doubt it would’ve peaked as high as it did if Justin Timberlake wasn’t featured on it. Give Me All Your Luvin’ peaked at #10 in 2012, but it fell out of the chart within a couple of weeks.

Did American radio stations turn their backs on Madonna because of American Life? Did it cost her more hit singles? Confessions on a Dance Floor sold well despite only one top 10 hit, but it's her last album to be awarded a platinum certification. Music remains her last #1 single on the Hot 100. What happened? Will she ever get another big U.S. hit single? Cher peaked at #1 in 1998 with Believe, but it was a different industry back then.

Other older female artists have also struggled on the Hot 100 for a while now. Janet Jackson’s last #1 single was in 2001, her last platinum album was in 2006 (thanks to shipments). Celine Dion’s last #1 single was in 1998, her last platinum album was in 2007. Mariah Carey’s last #1 single and platinum album was in 2008.

Comments

• Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this just a repeat thread of your many multiple accounts on here. You must have 100s.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72025642

Nice to see your obsession with Madonna is ongoing. I thought by now you might be over it.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Hung Up went to #1 in the UK and pretty much everywhere?
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably because not enough people have bought, downloaded or streamed one of her singles in that time, just a guess
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never mind
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    How did Sorry only get to #58 :(
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    US charts are based on a mixture of sales and airplay not just sales like UK charts. A lot of her singles would have charted higher if it was based just on sales.

Songs like Sorry were not played much at all on US radio, because at that time radio was playing mostly R&B and hip hop and they wouldn't play a dance based song.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Radio pretty much turned their back on her after American Life and she just didn't get the airplay required to get a hit. However I think she still continued to sell physical singles rather well, but the lack of airplay dragged her down :(
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Thing is, if you look at some of the songs that topped the US Billboard chart in the early to mid 00s, you must think to yourself "WTF?".

As already mentioned it's the lack of airplay in America that has prevented Madonna from gaining another #1 hit.

For eg; Hung Up was practically #1 in every country...except the US where song stalled at #7 :s
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I thought Hung Up went to #1 in the UK and pretty much everywhere?
    Hung Up went to #7 in America but didn't even crack the top 40 on radio airplay. It went top 10 on sales alone.

The answer? Radio turned against her after American Life + her age. Even "4 Minutes" which peaked at #3 on the Hot 100 didn't go top 10 on radio airplay (#11) and that was with Justin Timberlake.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    It could be partly because they're still pissed off about AL and partly because US radios play mostly R'n'B/rap/hip-hop rather than pop!
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because most of her songs released since 2000 have been utter cr@p.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her songs have been very week and pop music is a young persons game
    Most of the fans are 8-18 and they are not interessed in people who older their parents

I remember when i was young i sure didnt care about singers who were 50+ years old
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she's no longer relevant, had a terribly embarrassing public menopause, and her music is naff. Her lyrics are dire.

A 57 year old prancing about in next to nothing singing flakey songs? Yes the public are going to lap that up , not!

As for airplay in America you do realise it's request based not like Radio1/2 where DJ's choose. They play what the public request the most and nowadays, it isn't Madonna.

Time for Madonna fans to wake up, smell the coffee, get over it and stop flooding the forum!

She's had a better run than most (all!).
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because she's no longer relevant, had a terribly embarrassing public menopause, and her music is naff. Her lyrics are dire.

A 57 year old prancing about in next to nothing singing flakey songs? Yes the public are going to lap that up , not!

As for airplay in America you do realise it's request based not like Radio1/2 where DJ's choose. They play what the public request the most and nowadays, it isn't Madonna.

Time for Madonna fans to wake up, smell the coffee, get over it and stop flooding the forum!

She's had a better run than most (all!).

Firstly, Madonna is 56 not 57. Secondly, she wasn't 56 in 2000. Thirdly, you know bugger all about how radio stations work in the USA so pipe down. An massive amount of them are owned by companies with links to the Republican party and it was his that hurt her most of all since The American Life album, which deeply offended them.

So quit spreading your ignorance on a subject which you claim not to care about.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    It's hard to be quote, unquote "Older" and get a number 1 these days. Hung Up should have gone to number 1. Confessions On A Dance Floor is the last good album she made. Everything after has been sub-par.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my parents liked the more adult contemporary/R&B stuff Madonna did around the time of Evita like Take a Bow and You'll See. I think if she was releasing that type of material now instead of then, she would be selling better. She hasn't really grown with her fanbase. She's never going to attract new fans among teens and people in their 20s.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has had her time now with regards to the single charts, like all acts really that have had a long career.

She will still continue to sell tours & albums, like all artists that have been around a while.
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    She has had her time now with regards to the single charts, like all acts really that have had a long career.

She will still continue to sell tours & albums, like all artists that have been around a while.

Couldn't agree more, I think the media and some fans are turning it into something it isn't. Many artists have had a far shorter career in charts yet continue to make music and have continued their career without the chart success. It doesn't mean what they are doing is wrong or their career is over.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow a 'new' poster starting a thread with virtually the same question in the same kind of tone, over and over again. shock horror! Next please.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    An massive amount of them are owned by companies with links to the Republican party and it was his that hurt her most of all since The American Life album, which deeply offended them.

I highly doubt this. Morrissey's You Are the Quarry has a song called "America is Not the World" which was definitely played on the radio here in the US and that album is actually Morrissey's highest charting album in the US at #11 on the Billboard 200.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I highly doubt this. Morrissey's You Are the Quarry has a song called "America is Not the World" which was definitely played on the radio here in the US and that album is actually Morrissey's highest charting album in the US at #11 on the Billboard 200.

As I said, it's more to do with her music being bloody awful since the Ray of Light album than anything else!
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    As I said, it's more to do with her music being bloody awful since the Ray of Light album than anything else!

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say it was more because the type of music she makes these days is a Dance Pop genre that just isn't popular at all in the US.

It's the same reason why Kylie Minogue isn't popular in the US. Her last song to even break the top 100 was Slow back in 2004, and it only reached #91.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go that far. I'd say it was more because the type of music she makes these days is a Dance Pop genre that just isn't popular at all in the US.

It's the same reason why Kylie Minogue isn't popular in the US. Her last song to even break the top 100 was Slow back in 2004, and it only reached #91.

Neither Kylie or Madonna have had a big hit in the UK for years. So I'd say it's mainly down to the quality of their work. I can't even name any recent Madonna songs, they ate that unmemorable.
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well it's a fact. You only have to see what happened to the Dixie Chicks when they spoke out against Bush and the Iraq war. They were blacklisted. And Morrisesy's fans are hardcore liberals..no 11 though..

.Madonna is a worldwide superstar. It hurt her immeasurably.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the question always why hasn't Madonna had a bit hit recently? You could ask the same question about most older artists. Why hasn't Morrissey had a big hit recently? What about Paul McCartney, Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper etc.

If it chart positions are truly based on quality, then why have there been almost no big hits by people over 40 recently. A lot of older artists continue to release new material. Is it really possible that all of them release low quality material? Or is there some other reason their songs aren't hits?
    And why is there this idea that unless Madonna has a big hit she's a failure? That doesn't seem to be the approach to other older artists. People seem to be happy they are still releasing records and praise them for not just going greatest hits tours.
    When Madonna was interviewed by Howard Stern, he asked her something about creating another big hit. She said she didn't know about having another hit, but she wanted to continue making music because that's what she loves. I think she's pretty realistic about the fact that she may not have another big hit no matter how good a song is because of her age and time in the music business. Too bad other people aren't as realistic in their expectations of her.