2016: Year of the Celebrity Deaths?

Comments

• RBRB Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Pixie24 wrote: »
    Neither do I. It annoys me that people don't bother to check things before they repost. I never realised how stupid people were until I went on Facebook.

His son has died Frank Sinatra Jr
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RB wrote: »

But that was about a month ago.

EDIT: Just checked, died 16th March, 2016.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pixie24 wrote: »
    I see on my Facebook feed that Terry Nutkins has died. Again.

I loved Terry Nutkins and thought his name was really appropriate.

An otter bit one of his fingers off once.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RB wrote: »

Still not Frank Snr though.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be glad when there's no celebrities left.
  • Sweet_ChocolateSweet_Chocolate Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    If missing the point about the difference between the anonymous 'Elsie and Madge' whose deaths, while sad, impact only the few that know them, and well-known and much-loved public figures who, through their talent and personality, impact hugely on people's lives in so many significant, beautiful and profound ways, were an Olympic sport, you'd win gold.

I don't know. The person who serves me in the local corner shop or cafe is probably more used to me than a celebrity. And at least I know them more than any celebrity. But doesn't mean I worship them like some sort of God.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    I don't know. The person who serves me in the local corner shop or cafe is probably more used to me than a celebrity. And at least I know them more than any celebrity. But doesn't mean I worship them like some sort of God.

^ I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

And mourning the death of talented and admired public figures is not God-worshipping.
  • TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people get so upset about a celebrity popping their clogs save your grief and energy on family and friends who know you.
  • willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people get so upset about a celebrity popping their clogs save your grief and energy on family and friends who know you.
    I personally don't get too upset with any celebrity deaths in the main, but I can understand why some people do get upset because if you have grown up watching that person on TV or listening to their music, etc then it hits you hard to hear they've gone. A couple of deaths have shocked me, mainly the ones where they've died too soon.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

Perhaps people have been a fan, respected their talent etc & feel genuinely sad at the loss of someone they admired.
    Of course losing a family member is different but people are also allowed to feel sad about the death of a celebrity even if you don't.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,163
    Forum Member

When a much loved entertainer dies, like Victoria Wood, who has brought so much laughter and entertainment into our lives it is quite natural to feel grief, and to probably feel more upset than the death of a distant relative who we haven't seen in years.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,369
    Forum Member

People don't tend to have limited amounts of grief, you know. It doesn't need to be saved incase it runs out.

A few celebrity deaths have gotten under my skin recently. Partly it's because I grew up admiring these people and their work, but also because my father is dying of cancer and is a similar age to a few of the stars we've lost to cancer in 2016. Each celebrity we lose to cancer is like a little, morbid reminder that soon my father won't be with us either, and it makes me sad both for my family and the celebrity's family, because I, and I'm sure countless others, can imagine how they feel. That's a horrible feeling, whichever way you slice it, whether you knew the deceased or not.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    People don't tend to have limited amounts of grief, you know. It doesn't need to be saved incase it runs out.

A few celebrity deaths have gotten under my skin recently. Partly it's because I grew up admiring these people and their work, but also because my father is dying of cancer and is a similar age to a few of the stars we've lost to cancer in 2016. Each celebrity we lose to cancer is like a little, morbid reminder that soon my father won't be with us either, and it makes me sad both for my family and the celebrity's family, because I, and I'm sure countless others, can imagine how they feel. That's a horrible feeling, whichever way you slice it, whether you knew the deceased or not.

Beautifully put! Having watched my own dad go through a terminal illness, thoughts are with you. As you suggested in your own way, there is no boundary for grief- nor 'rules' around compassion for those living through dark times.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way things are going - Queen's Another One Bites the Dust should be the song for the year...
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It only seems that there are many famous people dying now because many people got famous in the 1960s and 1970s and if you were to assume they were 20 when they got famous in 1960 they would now be 76 and probably would have taken drugs when younger so they would be more likely dying. There was a similar thing in 2009 when Michael Jackson died, South Park did an episode about it.

Although there are theories that Prince's death and Paul Daniels deaths are related because when Prince worked at a five and dime store his boss was Debbie McGee's dad and Paul Daniels was old enough to be her dad.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a celebrity death counter for the year? like a website or something?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that Arthur Scargill is still alive (hes 78), i thought he died years ago :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many more have been added to the list recently - Muhammad Ali, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Rick Parfitt and of course George Michael today.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Grim Reaper might still not be satisfied until the clocks chime Midnight on Saturday/Sunday!
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 2016 is the warm up and 2017 is gonna get worse. I had a massive inkling that 2016 isn't done with and we are gonna have a major shocker of a loss. That came last night in George Michael, who I am devastated about. However, there is just under a week of the year to go and I think we may lose more, however I hope I am wrong.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was on This Morning recently and I thought he looked a bit frail and shaky.

I'm sure he'll be fine. But he needs a good meal in him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was on This Morning recently and I thought he looked a bit frail and shaky.

I'm sure he'll be fine. But he needs a good meal in him.
    He'll be one to watch out for next year I feel.