Options

James Arthur's Fall Begins....

1252627282931»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been thinking he is cracking under pressure & can't handle what's happening to him, it could perfectly well be true.
    The phrasing is awkward ("worldwide fame" when it's not exactly what I would use for him), but the truth is his behaviours & some of his tweets (while being not nice at all) seemed strange or erratic enough to hint at some sort of inabiity to deal with his current status.

I don't think anyone is saying that what James said is something that should have been said: using homophobic language is never a good idea, but many people do without being truly homophobic. Maybe he has understood where he went wrong, maybe he hasn't. But if he hasn't, people attacking him won't help him understand, just make him more deffensive.
    Those who dislike him (for their own good reasons) could just start ignoring him, not tune in for the X factor for example, instead of talk about him repeatedly. I really dislike him, but I get where the concept of a witch hunt is coming from because I almost feel sorry for him (despite the fact that I think he has brought it on himself...).

However, if this could spark a general discussion about the use of homophobic language in our daily lives (or the fact that saying someone is "gay" has been used as a way to attack some people), it could be great. There just is no need to talk about JA because the issue is a lot bigger than that.
    I kind of think the point is that, whether he views himself as homophobic or not, he uses that language. A lot of people use it and probably would say they aren't homophobic either which is just a way of waving it through. People seem to imagine that unless the user of the language is a card-carrying hang 'em high bigot, its ok because 'he's not a homophobe really'. Thats been one of the most interesting issues this has raised, how casual it is and how ready people are to excuse it (not referring to you here btw). Someone on FB used the example of Jade Goody and the racist language she used on BB. She didnt see herself as a racist but was that seen as an acceptable excuse? I don't recall that it was.
    I think the point of the JA thing has been example, as the Alex Baldwin thing was in the States. Only they took it a bit more seriously there.
    ETA As for the mental collapse, I would definitely take that more seriously if he weren't continuing with major commitments. Surely going on Xf in these conditions will be a major emotional strain if he's fragile. And yet there's no question that he's doing it. If he shouldn't be doing it, why is he? I would agree that he has shown he cant cope with his current status, but that isn't going to stop him trying for more of it and Sony-Syco aren't going to stop pursuing their investment either.
  • Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been thinking he is cracking under pressure & can't handle what's happening to him, it could perfectly well be true.
    The phrasing is awkward ("worldwide fame" when it's not exactly what I would use for him), but the truth is his behaviours & some of his tweets (while being not nice at all) seemed strange or erratic enough to hint at some sort of inabiity to deal with his current status.

I don't think anyone is saying that what James said is something that should have been said: using homophobic language is never a good idea, but many people do without being truly homophobic. Maybe he has understood where he went wrong, maybe he hasn't. But if he hasn't, people attacking him won't help him understand, just make him more deffensive.
    Those who dislike him (for their own good reasons) could just start ignoring him, not tune in for the X factor for example, instead of talk about him repeatedly. I really dislike him, but I get where the concept of a witch hunt is coming from because I almost feel sorry for him (despite the fact that I think he has brought it on himself...).

However, if this could spark a general discussion about the use of homophobic language in our daily lives (or the fact that saying someone is "gay" has been used as a way to attack some people), it could be great. There just is no need to talk about JA because the issue is a lot bigger than that.

Besides the fact that James Arthur started it all over a year ago and the fact he was told to wind his neck in and then just went on to abuse that artist and so many others, with the assistance of modern media.

It was his and his Management Company's choice to promote him as contentious and it works two ways. A lot of the comments on here are from people that are genuinely offended. What response have they received, ridiculed for voicing an opinion. What he has said and done has been ignored as the focus goes on an isolated incident. You cannot have it both ways, being contentious and hoping you receive positive feed back in return.

It is not just the LGBT brigade he has upset, but so many others. If he was just taken out of the limelight and either allowed himself to be treated or focused on why he has offended so many, nobody would be complaining. The story would be yesterdays fish and chip paper. However, the decision to allow him to appear on a family friendly show and those whose agenda is to promote the show and products associated with it, who view his behaviour as socially acceptable, that is what offends so many.

I will not be tuning into the X Factor or purchasing any product from either sponsors or advertisers on tonights show. I switched off from watching the X Factor in 2010. However, I will stop voicing my concerns when I can open a magazine, read a newspaper, watch a video on You Tube, or a TV programme without any adverts for his products or whatever and actually go about my life, without the intrusion of the JA publicity drive affecting it. When I am faced with that then I will happily stop expressing my opinion with regards the X Factor winner known as James Arthur.

Should he take time out from the business and focus on getting himself better, then all the best to him.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's been acting like a bully, he lashes out and he still thinks he is in the right. He can't understand why he is the one being critisised not the other parties and prob feels it is all unjust.

Quite frankly the way he spoke to Dan Wootton on twitter...he wrecked his own career, he bought on all he negative press from The Sun.

You dont need to reply to every tweet, and he has to accept just like he had negative opinions about other's music, then people therfore had the right to have negative opinions on his music too...he just wouldnt get it. And this line about him penning all the songs himself, why does he keep going on about that when he's worked with a long list of writers for every song. He's in major denial.
  • Options
    manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AMS13 wrote: »
    Besides the fact that James Arthur started it all over a year ago and the fact he was told to wind his neck in and then just went on to abuse that artist and so many others, with the assistance of modern media.

It was his and his Management Company's choice to promote him as contentious and it works two ways. A lot of the comments on here are from people that are genuinely offended. What response have they received, ridiculed for voicing an opinion. What he has said and done has been ignored as the focus goes on an isolated incident. You cannot have it both ways, being contentious and hoping you receive positive feed back in return.

It is not just the LGBT brigade he has upset, but so many others. If he was just taken out of the limelight and either allowed himself to be treated or focused on why he has offended so many, nobody would be complaining. The story would be yesterdays fish and chip paper. However, the decision to allow him to appear on a family friendly show and those whose agenda is to promote the show and products associated with it, who view his behaviour as socially acceptable, that is what offends so many.

I will not be tuning into the X Factor or purchasing any product from either sponsors or advertisers on tonights show. I switched off from watching the X Factor in 2010. However, I will stop voicing my concerns when I can open a magazine, read a newspaper, watch a video on You Tube, or a TV programme without any adverts for his products or whatever and actually go about my life, without the intrusion of the JA publicity drive affecting it. When I am faced with that then I will happily stop expressing my opinion with regards the X Factor winner known as James Arthur.

Should he take time out from the business and focus on getting himself better, then all the best to him.

Seems a shame that you will miss out on Rebecca.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Probably because I don't enjoy seeing people being persecuted, and before anyone goes, he is not a victim, really?? Check yourselves. 30 pages of the same thing.

Also some may choose to believe all gay people are united in this witch hunt, but that is not the case. I work with a gay man who isn't comfortable with the way people have dealt with this.

This article from the Independent was written by someone who is gay. While he is not excusing anything James has said, he doesn't appear to agree with the witch hunt.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/a-petition-wants-james-arthur-dropped-from-the-x-factor-but-i-can-spot-a-homophobe--and-this-man-isnt-one-8970196.html

The homophobic comments where just the straw that broke the camels back.....people have seen his pattern of behavior and it's just too much, and his apologies not believable when he lashes out again. He is swearing at people who booed him now, instead of taking a minute to apologize for his comments if they offended anyone in the audience and hoping he could move on.
  • Options
    AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manderley wrote: »
    Seems a shame that you will miss out on Rebecca.

I wish her all the best and I will be purchasing her new album.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how he comes across tonight. I just read the DS article about his sister. I have no sympathy for him at all. If you're going to come out with the nasty, homophobic comments that he does, then you have to be prepared for people not to like you.