Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 11)

Comments

• ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I was going to say the same thing.

That was such a great episode and it's a shame that this thread is going to be full of people ignoring the majority of the episode and crying about the brief 2 minutes the teens were in it.

The wedding was actually the main focus, the teens were filler/half serious. You moan about the teens being the main focus and how they should be filler, if anything. Here they are, as filler.

Shame, really, because it was a great episode.

How can anyone not complain about the teens in this episode? What their storyline was about isn't really the point, although I don't know how they can make out that Ruby and Jono are something special. The point is that while Darren and Nancy were saying their vows and viewers are on the edge of tears, they suddenly cut to another storyline, another group of characters, one that didn't need to be shown in this episode. Then while they show in the background Darren and Nancy, the focus is on Jono trying to talk to Ruby! I would have complained even if it was the students instead of the teens, this episode should have been all about the wedding and nothing more.
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    Lovely episode. Jess Fox and ATD were great as always. I'm so glad they got their happy ending. It's satisfying to see two characters who you've grown to care about finally come together.

I could have done without the teens, as always. But they didn't bother me too much.

ETA - I agree though Reo, I really wanted to hear the full vows, but instead had to listen to Jono :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I loved the James Morrison song nearly had me in tears. Wish they could have shown more of reception.
  • haygrandhaygrand Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Smithwick knows the vast majority of us hate the teens, so why on earth would she think that having them steal the limelight from Darren and Nancy's wedding( Who are both two very popular characters!) was a good idea? I was actually getting pretty emotional in that wedding scene until Jono turned up, it was like my emotion level went from optimum to zero in a second. :D But seriously if she wants us to like them, then how on earth would doing this be a good idea?!? Get it sorted Hollyoaks!
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Is Joel going to be Mitzeee's rumoured love interest?

I think he's got designs on Theresa and since Riley is coming back maybe they'll so something with her and him, although I find that a bit weird.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    ally08 wrote: »
    It was a great episode and I'm not complaining about the teens being shown, I am complaining about them cutting away from the wedding ceremony for a totally pointless, go to the shops and get some beers, scene.

It wouldn't have mattered what they cut away for it was intrusive and stupid and the fact that it was nothing important at all is massively annoying.

I didn't let it ruin it for me but I just wish they wouldn't do such daft things all the time.

I can understand that. It annoyed me too. But I know people are going to complain about the teens themselves, not necessarily the scene suddenly changing to a filler storyline. Which is a shame because it'd be better to be discussing the whole episode and the positives. And there were a lot more positives than negatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate the teens but I do hate Sinead, Jono and maddie, it's annoying and the Ruby/Jono stuff is getting on my nerves!!!!
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved that episode but was so disappointed by the teen scenes, they were not needed at all! Twitter is saying the exact same thing, hope ES is taking note - people REALLY don't enjoy the teens ruining huge storylines! First Silas, now the wedding! Its so annoying!
    Forum Member
    I can understand that. It annoyed me too. But I know people are going to complain about the teens themselves, not necessarily the scene suddenly changing to a filler storyline. Which is a shame because it'd be better to be discussing the whole episode and the positives. And there were a lot more positives than negatives.

In general I agree with you, I think its always better to try and see the best in something but even myself - and the majority of the teens I actually like - am really annoyed that happened. I really really am. And maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if Jono wasn't such a facile weak character and if Ruby wasn't such an idiot for going back to him and if their whole storyline didn't make me want to start taking hostages then maybe i'd be more lenient but anything interupting that moment would have been a mistake and the fact that it was for that pathetic moment and couple makes it 100 times worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great E4 episode. Though I agree awith most that the scenes with the teens were unnecessary and a total waste of time. I get that the whole EP should have been detracted from the wedding here and there, but it could have been about Cheryl and Lynseys SL about Cheryl not being a friend anymore, or Jacqui indulging in the party food - anything . Okay they are just fillers but there has not been one episode since christmas when the teens have not either dominated the EP or shown themselves as a filler and its too much. Can we please have an EP that does not show any of the teens, PLEASE !!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chazmaxi wrote: »
    I loved the James Morrison song nearly had me in tears. Wish they could have shown more of reception.

that's when i started blubbing! haha! That song is one of my favourites! ATD and Jessica Fox were incredible tonight. I really enjoyed the episode tonight :)
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrific episode overall, loved Frankie's role in particular. Good ending, looking forward to Joel reentering the fray.

Didn't mind the 30 sec scene with the teens at Diane's as a transition but Jono popping up in the back row during the vows left a really bad taste in the mouth. I was willing him to **** off but he wouldn't go. If they had to do it have Darren and Nancy in the foreground and Ruby/Jono in the background. Utter negligence on the writers (and ES's) part.

Sends a terrible message too. Jono deserves to pay for being a spineless git, but nah, no chance of that...
    Forum Member
    In general I agree with you, I think its always better to try and see the best in something but even myself - and the majority of the teens I actually like - am really annoyed that happened. I really really am. And maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if Jono wasn't such a facile weak character and if Ruby wasn't such an idiot for going back to him and if their whole storyline didn't make me want to start taking hostages then maybe i'd be more lenient but anything interupting that moment would have been a mistake and the fact that it was for that pathetic moment and couple makes it 100 times worse.

Like I said, I think moaning about the teens ruining the moment by the scenes cutting away, or Jono being at the wedding, is fine. But sometimes it seems as if people complain just because they're the teens. If that cut away to, say, the freshers, although people would disagree with me I doubt they'd complain as much. Unless, of course, there was a fresher at the wedding, taking the focus off Darren and Nancy.

It's a shame Ruby didn't hang on long enough for Jono to get the message. In the beginning I liked them. And even after the first breakup I was interested. After the second time it just got repetitive. I hope they're going somewhere with this and not have them living happily ever after...for a few months. If they're sending a message with this then they'd need Ruby to let go of Jono.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, I think moaning about the teens ruining the moment by the scenes cutting away, or Jono being at the wedding, is fine. But sometimes it seems as if people complain just because they're the teens. If that cut away to, say, the freshers, although people would disagree with me I doubt they'd complain as much. Unless, of course, there was a fresher at the wedding, taking the focus off Darren and Nancy.

I agree with u here, I think it's just because most of us do not like the Jono/Ruby stuff though and thats the main reason people are moaning about it and not the actual teens themselves.
    Forum Member

I agree, thats what I was sort of saying. That it annoyed me more because I intensely dislike Jono. Any interuption would have annoyed me but the fact that it was that nonsense made it much worse for me - and also because it happened with the memorial as well. Different characters but just as irritating and for a simillar stupid reason.

I actually find the complaints about the teens increasingly exhausting and repetitive and I really do enjoy watching Callum, George, Maddie, Ricky, Esther and Tilly - and Neil is ok I suppose. So I generally don't get involved in the teen hating and it puts me off coming on half the time anyway. So I think you're totally right.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summary of the episode:

Loved:

Joel's return
    Mitzeee in general
    Frankie stripping Margaret down to size
    Cindy getting drunk
    'Can I call you mummy now?'
    Ruby telling Jono to shove it
    Nancy's scenes with Charlie
    Nancy and Darren's scenes

Disliked: Jono interrupting the wedding

Didn't mind: The party scene although they would have been better having it at the start or something instead of interrupting the wedding scenes
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed! They cut to the teens at the wrong time and Jono turning up at the wedding was really not needed! Why is ruby such a push over?
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the reason people wouldn't have been so pissed off with the freshers interrupting is because we never see them. I'm starting to wonder if they've been dropped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »
    Agreed! They cut to the teens at the wrong time and Jono turning up at the wedding was really not needed! Why is ruby such a push over?

I think she's insecure and Jono is using it as an advantage...
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    It's a shame Ruby didn't hang on long enough for Jono to get the message. In the beginning I liked them. And even after the first breakup I was interested. After the second time it just got repetitive. I hope they're going somewhere with this and not have them living happily ever after...for a few months. If they're sending a message with this then they'd need Ruby to let go of Jono.

I don't want to moan generally, either, I'd rather be specific now. But I agree with this so much. The Jono/Ruby story is an epic fail. There is no way on this earth that it is 'romantic' that she takes him back after he has treated her like crap. They've rewritten Ruby's character to do it (and I liked her a damn sight more before), and Jono needs to be made to feel what he's done.

And implying that they are as important in some way as a relationship as Nancy and Darren is just misguided.
    Forum Member
    I agree, thats what I was sort of saying. That it annoyed me more because I intensely dislike Jono. Any interuption would have annoyed me but the fact that it was that nonsense made it much worse for me - and also because it happened with the memorial as well. Different characters but just as irritating and for a simillar stupid reason.

I actually find the complaints about the teens increasingly exhausting and repetitive and I really do enjoy watching Callum, George, Maddie, Ricky, Esther and Tilly - and Neil is ok I suppose. So I generally don't get involved in the teen hating and it puts me off coming on half the time anyway. So I think you're totally right.

In a way it's similar to the tribute the teens did after the Silas storyline. It was a nice tribute but then people didn't like the fact that it was the teens that did it, or because they did it as an apology. Which I agreed with them about the second part.

The bit about that tribute that did annoy me was how they turned it to be about Bart and Sinead with the comment Jason made. The Bart and Sinead relationship was more important to him than a tribute set up to remember his mother being killed by his grandad, as well as the other girls.

In this it looked like they were going to turn the wedding speeches about Ruby and Jono. Luckily they didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »

The Ruby of last year would never have stood for this
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    ally08 wrote: »
    It was a great episode and I'm not complaining about the teens being shown, I am complaining about them cutting away from the wedding ceremony for a totally pointless, go to the shops and get some beers, scene.

It wouldn't have mattered what they cut away for it was intrusive and stupid and the fact that it was nothing important at all is massively annoying.

I didn't let it ruin it for me but I just wish they wouldn't do such daft things all the time.

Yep I agree with this.

And I'd argue the wedding stuff was wonderful and the best stuff that's been on screen since Silas.
  • Plant_PiePlant_Pie Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah agree it just cut so suddenly as well and in a good scene as well.Build up all then get a bit awwww and then suddenly random teen scene!
  • Susie-RSusie-R Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the episode as well, it had me in tears although Jono interrupting the Wedding did annoy me.
This discussion has been closed.