Options

Alien: Isolation

Comments

• Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can easily get through the whole game without using the rewiring boxes. I think on hard difficulty is when they could start to get more useful though.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the hang of the rewiring boxes now, thanks.

Finally managed to get out of the medical facility. Spent hours trying to dodge that damn alien. I found that dodging around the corridors and sending it the wrong way was more effective than hiding and waiting for it to go. I swear it reacts to the sound of the motion tracker, even when you are hiding in a locker.

At the moment I am torn between liking the feel and design of the game, and getting a bit bored by endlessly walking around corridors and rooms looking for items. It's good that the gameplay area is quite large and there are lots of areas to explore, but it does take a lot of time to get round. The medical area seemed to be the worst example of this...so far.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the hang of the rewiring boxes now, thanks.

Finally managed to get out of the medical facility. Spent hours trying to dodge that damn alien. I found that dodging around the corridors and sending it the wrong way was more effective than hiding and waiting for it to go. I swear it reacts to the sound of the motion tracker, even when you are hiding in a locker.

At the moment I am torn between liking the feel and design of the game, and getting a bit bored by endlessly walking around corridors and rooms looking for items. It's good that the gameplay area is quite large and there are lots of areas to explore, but it does take a lot of time to get round. The medical area seemed to be the worst example of this...so far.

It does react to the motion tracker when you are hiding in a locker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew...finally got out of that damn medical bay...now just started a level with marines leaving a ship to search the planet. I saved and stopped at that point to continue it later.

I was frankly relieved at that point to just be doing something different...as I said before I found the medical levels quite tedious in parts, very time consuming to complete and though the graphics, atmospherics and the problem of trying to stay away from that damn alien were very well done, it just seemed a little drawn out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    It does react to the motion tracker when you are hiding in a locker.

Yeah...now I know

I mentioned it because during the save/loading sections you are given hints and tips, and a few on how to avoid the alien (don't sprint or it will hear you, for one), and that was not mentioned.

It's not that I expect to be too easy (though I am playing on easy mode), but thought on easy mode that tip would have been forthcoming.

Talking of the alien and hiding in lockers, one other thing I noticed was if the alien walks past the locker and comes close, if it detects you a couple of prompts come up such as 'press l2 to hold your breath' and 'pull on L to lean back'...but they come up on screen literally as the alien yanks the door off.

I have moved on from that section now, but that was annoying.

That said, I did learn that hiding was really the last resort and not the best option...just get out and run, and try and dodge/outwit the bugger.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew...finally got out of that damn medical bay...now just started a level with marines leaving a ship to search the planet. I saved and stopped at that point to continue it later.

I was frankly relieved at that point to just be doing something different...as I said before I found the medical levels quite tedious in parts, very time consuming to complete and though the graphics, atmospherics and the problem of trying to stay away from that damn alien were very well done, it just seemed a little drawn out.

I have found the medical bay, to be the part where I needed a swearbox. I was hoping to have a look around in the end ,I just *legged it* and wiped the sweat off my palms.

So far the game has a old school feel which I have missed.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else get angry at the human inhabitants getting in the way and set off a noise maker near them so the Alien kills them. Did you beat one of the non hostile people to death just to get some supplies from their dead body or take the moral high ground and show compassion?
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying this so far.

The concept is great and I really enjoy the games of cat n' mouse with the alien. I actually find the sections with humans and androids more difficult than the alien so far.

Was struggling with escaping the medical bay when all the alarms started going off and you have to escape from humans AND the alien, until I discovered that you can use the alien to kill the humans and make it a lot easier on yourself :D I either used a noisemaker/flare to attract the alien to where the humans were, or got the humans to spot me and fire off a shot, which brought the xenomorph out of hiding. Cool gameplay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the androids and humans are more difficult to deal with the alien. Once you work out the aliens movements you can generally avoid it. You don't have to get into combat with it, a pointless exercise.

But the fact there are more androids and humans coming at you relentlessly makes them more difficult to fight off, especially in the early stages when you don't really have any weapons

Of course once you get the shotgun and the flamethrower it becomes much easier.

Just got through the galleria area and back to the marshals station. Feeling I must be not too far from the end now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the androids and humans are more difficult to deal with the alien. Once you work out the aliens movements you can generally avoid it. You don't have to get into combat with it, a pointless exercise.

Yep I can't seem to understand people complaining about a lack of flamethrower ammo. Granted, I'm playing on Medium, not the "recommended" Hard difficulty, but I've tonnes of the stuff, and it only takes one quick blast to shoo it away.

I use it as a last resort - if the alien spots you and runs at you, then flamethrower it. You'll lose some health but that means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Something tells me as soon as some people got the flamethrower they started changing how they played, actively seeking out the alien to go burn its ass so they can sprint around for 10 seconds. Of course the only problem with that is that attacking it with the flamethrower simply makes it hunt more aggressively - which is a very cool touch indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I use it as a last resort - if the alien spots you and runs at you, then flamethrower it. You'll lose some health but that means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I used it that way too. I found it took some of the fear out of the alien spotting you as I felt like it wouldn't be killing me then.

The androids were the most difficult enemy, especially when they're in numbers. The humans I just turned into alien bait :p
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Something tells me as soon as some people got the flamethrower they started changing how they played, actively seeking out the alien to go burn its ass so they can sprint around for 10 seconds. Of course the only problem with that is that attacking it with the flamethrower simply makes it hunt more aggressively - which is a very cool touch indeed.

Also sometimes the flamethrower's useless- 9 times out of 10 the bastard'll peg it if you flame its ass... the other time it'll just stand out of reach until you either stop flaming or run out of ammo.
    Yeah...now I know

I mentioned it because during the save/loading sections you are given hints and tips, and a few on how to avoid the alien (don't sprint or it will hear you, for one), and that was not mentioned.

It's not that I expect to be too easy (though I am playing on easy mode), but thought on easy mode that tip would have been forthcoming.

I think the key with this game is to assume that stuff's "realistic"- ie if someone/thing could hear a thing in real life, they'll hear it in the game. It's like a stealth game built from the ground up, rather than as another iteration of Splinter Cell or whatever. Go into it as if you've never played any other games.

(Obviously sometimes this logic doesn't work- I found the "exit locker" animation and sound to be a bit frame-breaking; slamming the thing open seems stupid, really. Mind you, I guess if the animation was of you slowly inching the door open and creeping out, it would get real annoying real quick, so it's probably a fair compromise).
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Anyone else get angry at the human inhabitants getting in the way and set off a noise maker near them so the Alien kills them. Did you beat one of the non hostile people to death just to get some supplies from their dead body or take the moral high ground and show compassion?

I tried to kill as few people as possible- I got so immersed in it, I kept thinking "if this was an actual Alien movie, would I be thinking she was being an utter dick right now and wanting the alien to kill her?" and trying to make it seem like a movie where I was rooting for her. If that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Does the flame-thrower really have a variable effect on the alien?

TBH, I've pretty much given up with the main game (I just can't be arsed with it) but I've been giving the Crew Expendable DLC a bit of a go and it seems a bit iffy to me.

Basically, it seems like if you give the FT a quick blast it just attracts the alien and you die whereas, conversely, if you give it a good blast (so that your view of the alien is obscured) the alien just vanishes.

I've never yet actually seen the alien retreat because of the FT.
    It always either keeps on coming or it just flat-out vanishes when you use the FT enough that you lose sight of the alien.
    I've even deliberately experimented by running backward and forward along long corridors until the alien appears and then using the FT.
    I've also tried the same thing in large rooms where, realistically, the alien couldn't have gotten away without me seeing where it went but it's always the same; you either don't give it a big enough burst and it eats your face or you give it enough that you don't die and the alien vanishes without a trace.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere that the FT becomes redundant once the Alien learns that it cannot be hurt by it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The alien most definitely retreats because of the FT. But you need to make sure you're close enough to get it properly. Sometimes it will pounce on you as well but if you blast the FT right before it gets you, it'll just damage you and then disappear.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

TBH, I've pretty much given up with the main game (I just can't be arsed with it) but I've been giving the Crew Expendable DLC a bit of a go and it seems a bit iffy to me.

Basically, it seems like if you give the FT a quick blast it just attracts the alien and you die whereas, conversely, if you give it a good blast (so that your view of the alien is obscured) the alien just vanishes.

I've never yet actually seen the alien retreat because of the FT.
    It always either keeps on coming or it just flat-out vanishes when you use the FT enough that you lose sight of the alien.
    I've even deliberately experimented by running backward and forward along long corridors until the alien appears and then using the FT.
    I've also tried the same thing in large rooms where, realistically, the alien couldn't have gotten away without me seeing where it went but it's always the same; you either don't give it a big enough burst and it eats your face or you give it enough that you don't die and the alien vanishes without a trace.

Really? The most common thing I'd see with the FT was the alien either pegging it or going into the nearest ceiling vent. When it's run, I've always seen it going.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Really? The most common thing I'd see with the FT was the alien either pegging it or going into the nearest ceiling vent. When it's run, I've always seen it going.

Mainly up a ceiling vent for me. It really doesn't like the FT!
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started mission 11. Found it pretty hard at times but enjoining it. Hoping to finish it by next week.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

I first noticed it in a rather bizarre stand-off in the landing-leg room where the alien would enter through one of the doors, I'd give it a blast, it'd vanish and then I'd deliberately run around to attract it again and it'd reappear through one of the doors. Rinse & repeat.
    One one occasion I was shuffling around in the shadows of the little lander-thing so the alien was up against a solid wall when I blasted it with the FT and, once the flames died down, it'd just vanished.

Similar thing has happened in the ducts.
    I've been in a fairly long duct, alien approached, gets blasted and it just vanishes.
    Obviously, in the ducts it's possible that it could have retreated before you can see where it went but I can't see any way it could have got away in the landing-leg room.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had the alien vanish when it's knocked into you and the flamethrower has saved you at the last minute. If you get it before it's right in your face then you can see it either back off or run away up a vent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

After a section where I saved when the alien was right next to me and had to immediately turn around to flame it on every reload, I can confirm that it does. It fell into one of five categories:

1) The flamethrower caused the alien to retreat up a vent
    2) The flamethrower temporarily halted the alien in its tracks but it did not retreat up a vent. It simply paused but stood in the same place before resuming its attack.
    3) The alien still manages to attack you - you will be knocked down and take some damage before getting back to your feet - but it retreats rather than killing you
    4) As above, except it's false safety - it looks as though the alien has retreated but as you get back to your feet the cutscene changes and you realise it is still there. The alien kills you.
    5) The alien is unaffected and kills you
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok i gave in and opened it....

he seems to like it:):):)
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been playing this on and off for the last week or so, really enjoying it although.
    I am just following Samuels into the Synthetics Lab, it has been a while since the Xenomorph was dumped into space, I am fulling expecting to see it back again. But all of this stuff since then has felt really stretched out and pretty boring. The tension is completely gone, the Synthetics make a poor replacement for the constant threat of the Alien.

Other than that, great game. Really nails the tone and atmosphere of the '79 original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got to the reactor section...after getting through one of the mist difficult sections so far, namely the Apollo section where you need to get to the left and right server hemispheres and flic some switches...there are 3 androids in each section that you basically cannot kill. At this point the only weapons you have are the stun baton which is useless against them, and the wrench, which you may get a few hits in with but after that they get smart and start to grab it from you...and eventually if you face off against them they will kill you.

No point taking them head on- pointless.

Best thing to do is get them to chase you, run around them and back to the server rooms and flick the switches. After this you can head on out to the reactor.

I am in the engineering section now below the reactor core.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to try getting into this again. I got stuck on a bit quiet early on where...
    ...three or four humans are searching for you and firing guns wherever they see you. It's shortly after you've switched off a generator to sneak past some other humans and then the Scottish guy gets killed by the alien.

Anyone have any tips on getting past that bit? After a fair few goes my patience ran out and I went back to playing Driveclub.