Unlocking mobile phones.

Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I turn this Sony Ericsson K600i on the screen tells me the phone is locked. I know it is not the SIM card. Is it illegal to get this phone unlocked?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not illegal to unlock any phone as far as I know. Most market stalls do it for £10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only unblocking is illegal (ie barred stolen phones)
    although it may be a phone lock code it is asking for and not the unlocking code
    if so the default is 0000 i think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote:
    When I turn this Sony Ericsson K600i on the screen tells me the phone is locked. I know it is not the SIM card. Is it illegal to get this phone unlocked?

If it's been stolen and locked because of that, then yes it's illegal.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone isn't stolen but been found by a relation returning from Asia. It seems the best advice may be to chuck it away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuck it towards me if you like :D

As others have correctly stated, there is nothing illegal about unlocking a mobile to use on all networks. If there were, there wouldn't be a sticky at the top of this forum offering a free remote unlocking service. Unfortunately a Sony Ericsson cannot be remotely unlocked for free, but a market stall will unlock it for you for about £10 or less. It doesn't matter what network it is currently locked to, even if it is not locked to a network in this country. You don't even need to know which network it is currently locked to if using a market stall unlocker.

However, is this a network lock, or just a handset lock applied (i.e. needs a PIN to unlock the handset)? Normally the error message on a SE in such case is "Pin blocked - Unblock?"

If the handset comes from Asia, I doubt it is blacklisted - the blacklist system does not operate worldwide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote:
    The phone isn't stolen but been found by a relation returning from Asia. It seems the best advice may be to chuck it away.

Unlock it and use it!!! Finders keepers!!!