Getting a Blackberry.. any advice on which one to get?

Point17Point17 Posts: 2,400
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, as said in the title really!

Basically I am due an upgrade in a few days and need to make a decision on what phone to get. Coming from A Sony Ericsson C902, I prefer buttons, not touch screen and think that Blackberry is an obvious way to go, mainly for BBM and I would like a Sat Nav applicaiton on my phone.

I know theres the Curve, Bold and Torch as the main ones, any ideas on which is the best and main differences between them?

I'm happy to pay up to £40ish a month for a solid contract, so any advice ont hat would be great too, I've been with Orange for 7 years now, and I am finally ready to get rid of them haha.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like buttons, I'd go for the Bold - it's their flagship brand.

There's a new Bold 9780 coming out soon, with OS version 6 I believe, so you could either go for that, or if mobile companies are trying to reduce their stocks of the slightly older Bold 9700, maybe get a deal on that instead.

I find the buttons on the curve not quite as good. Plus depending on which one you go for, the curves can have limited functionality (eg some don't have 3G, GPS built in, etc). Some of the curves are orientated towards music etc.

The torch is a very good device, and the on-screen keyboard is very good (coming from a person who's used physical qwerty keyboards for the last few phones). Web browsing is excellent on this device (and the webkit browser will be available on the Bold 9780 too), and the social networking integration is great too.
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I would also think the Bold is the standard Blackberry device that most go for.

If you are having no problems with Orange, why leave them?? You will probably be able to get a loyalty discount if you phone them up :)

What sort of stuff would you mostly use it for? Calls or texts mostly??
  • Point17Point17 Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lummo wrote: »
    I would also think the Bold is the standard Blackberry device that most go for.

If you are having no problems with Orange, why leave them?? You will probably be able to get a loyalty discount if you phone them up :)

What sort of stuff would you mostly use it for? Calls or texts mostly??

Both.. I'm a serial chatterbox, and nothing fills up my wasted time more than sending people my every thought haha!

But about Orange.. I've been with them for so long, but I really dont feel loyalty from them. My contract is a £35 one, supposed to get 1200 mins unltd texts etc, but my bills are always over £60, about 4 or 5 this yr over £100.. I make an odd few international calls, but I've added bolt ons, and I seem to pay so much without any help towards giving me a better deal.

When I signed my last ocntract, I was promised all this stuff like VAT included in the proce (o2 were doing that at the time, so I asked for it) and unlimited WAP.. and then when the contract came around for the first new month, no exclusions of VAT and i got charged about £10 for WAP because I thought it was free! So I rang them and asked them to even go back to that original call and listen to it, but they told me "we dont keep all calls"... do they hell. Of course they do, but verbal contracts obviously mean nothing to them

And after so mamny years, and paying thousands over this time (still makes me sad), i just want some sort of sentiment that they value me as a customer.. which I really dont feel they do. I mean, i got my family to switch to Orange for Magic numbers for gods sake. But if I'm forced to pay all this money for my usage of a phone, I'd just rather give it all to someone else haha

Okay Rant over :)

Yeah Bold 9780 seems like the one.. Because its a better internet server called BB6 or something??? Not too sure of the details yet, will have to pop into a phone shop and ask!

Btw, does anyone know anything about the Pearl? or is that not worth looking at?
    Forum Member
    Point17 wrote: »
    Both.. I'm a serial chatterbox, and nothing fills up my wasted time more than sending people my every thought haha!

But about Orange.. I've been with them for so long, but I really dont feel loyalty from them. My contract is a £35 one, supposed to get 1200 mins unltd texts etc, but my bills are always over £60, about 4 or 5 this yr over £100.. I make an odd few international calls, but I've added bolt ons, and I seem to pay so much without any help towards giving me a better deal.

When I signed my last ocntract, I was promised all this stuff like VAT included in the proce (o2 were doing that at the time, so I asked for it) and unlimited WAP.. and then when the contract came around for the first new month, no exclusions of VAT and i got charged about £10 for WAP because I thought it was free! So I rang them and asked them to even go back to that original call and listen to it, but they told me "we dont keep all calls"... do they hell. Of course they do, but verbal contracts obviously mean nothing to them

And after so mamny years, and paying thousands over this time (still makes me sad), i just want some sort of sentiment that they value me as a customer.. which I really dont feel they do. I mean, i got my family to switch to Orange for Magic numbers for gods sake. But if I'm forced to pay all this money for my usage of a phone, I'd just rather give it all to someone else haha

Okay Rant over :)

Yeah Bold 9780 seems like the one.. Because its a better internet server called BB6 or something??? Not too sure of the details yet, will have to pop into a phone shop and ask!

Btw, does anyone know anything about the Pearl? or is that not worth looking at?

Ahh ok thats understandable!:)

You can get the Bold 9780 in Black or White on T-Mobile for free from £35 a month.

The £35 plan will give you choice of these:
    24 month - 1200 minutes - 500 texts - Flexible Booster - BB mail included
    18 month - 600 minutes - 500 texts - Flexible Booster- BB mail included
    24 month - 900 minutes - 500 texts - Flexible Booster - unlimited internet - BB mail included (Best value IMO)

The Flexible Booster will let you choose from a wide variety of boosters which include unlimited texts and international calling & text bundles which would be handy for you.

You are able to swap your free Flexible Booster every month to whatever you want, or you can add another for £5 a month on top of your free one.

I havent heard too much about the Pearl, dont think its a very popular model compared to the others.
  • Point17Point17 Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heheh u dont work for t mobile do you?! Lol!!

Yeah more research has shown that the Bold 9780 seems a logical and popular choice, I hope its out on all networks now! Which model do u have, or if you do ? Do apps, like the sat nav one, work the same as an Iphone?

PS Sorry about all the spelling ,mistakes. New laptop with differently placed keys, still getting used to it!!

Cheers
    Forum Member
    Point17 wrote: »
    heheh u dont work for t mobile do you?! Lol!!

Yeah more research has shown that the Bold 9780 seems a logical and popular choice, I hope its out on all networks now! Which model do u have, or if you do ? Do apps, like the sat nav one, work the same as an Iphone?

PS Sorry about all the spelling ,mistakes. New laptop with differently placed keys, still getting used to it!!

Cheers

Haha nope! But i like to help others with their questions on here :)

I don't have a Blackberry personally but i know others that do and they love theirs. From what i can see, the 9780 is available on Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone...could be wrong though!

I have an iPhone but rarely use the sat nav apps but i'm guessing they perform just aswell as they have GPS :)
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a BOLD, EXCELLENT phone I must say!

The BB6 you mention is going to be rolled out to the BB9700 - which apart from the camera (Bold9700 3.2MP Bold9780 5MP) is the only significant difference, except the price of course!

Have to weigh up whether the price difference is worth the extra feature or not.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with O2, and popped into CPW on Sat and upgraded from a BB 8900 to a BB 9780.
    Gorgeous phone! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Bold 9780, have a 9700 but can't justify upgrading to the 9780 just yet! Running the leaked OS6 but missing the extra memory of the 9780.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I have had my Blackberry (9700 Bold) for 3 months now and I loved the novelty of it - Fast-forward 3 months, I loathe it. It's BRILLIANT for emails on the move, for everything else it is terrible, especially internet. It's far easier to just switch the laptop on.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Internet is FAST on the new 9780..Mind you I did upgrade from a Curve 8900 :D