Options

Overrated Video Games

Comments

• Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would like to add a very highly regarded retro game sensible soccer,
    although i like this game,there are times when i played it and would annoy the crap out of me.
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already alerted this thread for a merge with the other thread.

One game I'd like to mention here is Sonic Colors.

Very overrated. Many people thought it was "the best 3D Sonic game in years" but I completely disagree with those statements. I never really understood the hype. I thought it was a huge step down in terms of what was brought in Sonic Unleashed which i thought was far superior. The daytime stages weren't satisfying in the slightest. It also had 90% of 2D gameplay which was horribly unbalanced and the small 3D segments weren't handled very well either. I also thought the platforming was very blocky and poorly paced. The wisp gimmick wasn't very interesting either and only worked decently in the 2D sections. There was also too much automation and this was the start of Mario elements entering Sonic which I really didn't like. The game as a whole is very boring and uninteresting in terms of both gameplay and story. I have never gone back to playing this game. There was honestly nothing exciting or special about this game at all. I consider it to be below average at best. Definitely one of my least favourite Sonic titles.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    metal gear solid, red dead redemption, fifa games

Love Red Dead. It's epic in every way. A 10/10 game for me.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I actually consider Red Dead Redemption to be quite underrated. It's loved by the majority of people who play it, but then there are many people who seemed to miss it as well. For me it was the best game of the last gen.

As for overrated, I'd have to say Batman: Arkham City as one. Don't get me wrong it was a superb game in its own right, but Arkham Asylum which came before it was so much more engrossing. Admittedly it was a lot more linear but there was usually enough going on to distract you from that, and frankly it helped keep the story coherent and building.

Another would be The Last of Us. an undeniably good game, but note the 'good' rather than 'groundbreaking'. For its supposed deep plot the game just sort of ended with a mediocre level that felt like it was building to something that never actually came. It was quite the letdown, and in terms of gameplay it didn't have much to say for itself either. Hugely linear to make the story work, and then an absence of variety in what you could actually do within that linear environment. The lead characters were interesting enough but I feel the final third of the game just lost it totally - from where she leaves with the horse it just got a bit ridiculous.

And whilst I'm late to the game (literally!) I've just started playing Uncharted, after all the praise that got as well. Avoiding spoilers as best I can, but so far I'm frankly not too bothered. The controls are horrendous, and the story is interesting enough but nothing special. I hope it picks up soon, or else the sequels will be a bit more laborious than I'd hoped.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually consider Red Dead Redemption to be quite underrated. It's loved by the majority of people who play it, but then there are many people who seemed to miss it as well. For me it was the best game of the last gen.

As for overrated, I'd have to say Batman: Arkham City as one. Don't get me wrong it was a superb game in its own right, but Arkham Asylum which came before it was so much more engrossing. Admittedly it was a lot more linear but there was usually enough going on to distract you from that, and frankly it helped keep the story coherent and building.

Another would be The Last of Us. an undeniably good game, but note the 'good' rather than 'groundbreaking'. For its supposed deep plot the game just sort of ended with a mediocre level that felt like it was building to something that never actually came. It was quite the letdown, and in terms of gameplay it didn't have much to say for itself either. Hugely linear to make the story work, and then an absence of variety in what you could actually do within that linear environment. The lead characters were interesting enough but I feel the final third of the game just lost it totally - from where she leaves with the horse it just got a bit ridiculous.

And whilst I'm late to the game (literally!) I've just started playing Uncharted, after all the praise that got as well. Avoiding spoilers as best I can, but so far I'm frankly not too bothered. The controls are horrendous, and the story is interesting enough but nothing special. I hope it picks up soon, or else the sequels will be a bit more laborious than I'd hoped.

I'd have to agree with Unchartered. I am currently playing Unchartered 2 and its so linear its not funny.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The leap in quality between Uncharted and Uncharted 2 is absolutely massive in my opinion. It's also the best game of the 3, so if you don't get along with that, I wouldn't bother playing the third one.
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Dead Redemption for me is one of the most over-rated.

I completed the story but never managed to get invested in it and the world was mostly empty with no real incentive to explore it all.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA by far, poor gameplay

COD
    GTA 5
    Elder Scrolls games
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    The leap in quality between Uncharted and Uncharted 2 is absolutely massive in my opinion. It's also the best game of the 3, so if you don't get along with that, I wouldn't bother playing the third one.

Really want to play Uncharted but I don't want to buy a PS3 for it just in case it sucks. I learned my lesson from Last of Us.
    whedon247 wrote: »

I suck at Fifa :blush: Only game I'm not very good at.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Really want to play Uncharted but I don't want to buy a PS3 for it just in case it sucks. I learned my lesson from Last of Us.

You'll be able to play them when PS Now launches here. Or if you have a US account, you might be able to try them now. I'm not sure if those games are on the service yet.

It'll save you having to buy an old console. They play similar enough to the new tomb raider so if you played / enjoyed that, you'll enjoy Uncharted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    You'll be able to play them when PS Now launches here. Or if you have a US account, you might be able to try them now. I'm not sure if those games are on the service yet.

It'll save you having to buy an old console. They play similar enough to the new tomb raider so if you played / enjoyed that, you'll enjoy Uncharted.

Forgive me but what's Playstation Now? :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Forgive me but what's Playstation Now? :blush:

You are ...... Forgiven.

It is a game streaming service. It currently in the beta testing stage in the US and I think we're due to get it next year. I haven't tried it tho(with my US account)

So you select your game and how long you'd like to stream it for. I think the time frames you can choose ranges from a few hours to a day, a month and 3 months. And the prices ranges from about a quid to ~£20ish depending on the game and how long you want it for.
    As you are streaming a game rather than downloading it, Sony recommends an Internet connection of at least 5 mb/s.
    The U.S. Are currently testing it on PS3 and ps4 but it will come to Sony TVs, Playstation TV and other devices too.

Here is a link to the games on the service with time frames and prices

Linky link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    You are ...... Forgiven.

It is a game streaming service. It currently in the beta testing stage in the US and I think we're due to get it next year. I haven't tried it tho(with my US account)

So you select your game and how long you'd like to stream it for. I think the time frames you can choose ranges from a few hours to a day, a month and 3 months. And the prices ranges from about a quid to ~£20ish depending on the game and how long you want it for.
    As you are streaming a game rather than downloading it, Sony recommends an Internet connection of at least 5 mb/s.
    The U.S. Are currently testing it on PS3 and ps4 but it will come to Sony TVs, Playstation TV and other devices too.

Here is a link to the games on the service with time frames and prices

Linky link

Uh oh. And that's where the sale lost me. My internet is 50mb but the actual connection is unstable. I predict a loss of many saves...

Thanks for the info though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Uh oh. And that's where the sale lost me. My internet is 50mb but the actual connection is unstable. I predict a loss of many saves...

Thanks for the info though.

No bother.

The service won't suit every game. I can't imaging FPSs would be good on it. Too much lag. Oh and the prices are ridiculous.
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption for me is one of the most over-rated.

I completed the story but never managed to get invested in it and the world was mostly empty with no real incentive to explore it all.

I'm about to try that game for myself to see what the hype is about.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I find this difficult to answer because I don't like the term overrated isn't that just a way of saying everyone else is wrong and I am right? Using the phrase 'it's not as good as everyone says it is' seems to suggest that too, surely it is that good to some people. I know i'm being nit picky about it but it's just a phrase that gets used a lot and I don't think it adds much to a discussion.

Its added enough discussion for a page 2.

I agree about TLOU, the clickers were a terrible design gameplay wise. No defence against them? Terrible design.
  • Options
    TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member

I agree about TLOU, the clickers were a terrible design gameplay wise. No defence against them? Terrible design.

There was. If they grabbed you and you had a shiv, you could use that to break free and either shoot it, attack it with a melee weapon, or run away.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never enjoyed any Sonic game on any system...from the megadrive to the Dreamcast to the Wii U (although I keep trying just in case :D). To me it's a very jarring game (I hated the controls /slippy movement for platforming) Never understood the love...best thing was the character.

Didn't like Ocarina of Time at the time it launched. Even back then I found it almost unplayable thanks to the awful framerate(very jarring compared to other Nintendo games)...it was only until the 3DS remake that I was really able to get into it.

Never liked Assassin's Creed, tried Meta Gear a couple times and hated it....didn't like Final Fantasy VII ..didn't like Timesplitters 2. Thought LEGO Star Wars, Batman etc were really overrated (the only LEGO game I've ever really loved is LEGO City Undercover on Wii U).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was. If they grabbed you and you had a shiv, you could use that to break free and either shoot it, attack it with a melee weapon, or run away.

Yeah if you were our of shivs you were stuffed.

Run away? Where to? Do i forget your there if you run away?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

whoever,hey made similar comments back in June in one of TLOU threads, saying that the Clickers were the "worst design ever" and that they "destroyed the gameplay" and had "no defence against them".

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=73001840#post73001840

Myself and others pointed out that whoever,hey was incorrect, but received no reply so perhaps whoever,hey didn't see the posts?

Still, as you say - there *are* defences against the Clickers.

You can kill them with a headshot from an arrow or shotgun, plus can kill them with other guns if you have sufficient ammo.

You can sneak up and melee them, preferably with a shiv.

And if you upgrade the appropriate skill (Shiv Master?), you can also kill them with a shiv if they grab you, meaning you should never again be killed by a Clicker so long as you have sufficient shivs. The skill itself could also be upgraded so that shivs don't break when you use them to kill a Clicker that's grabbed you, meaning one shiv would let you break free from and kill multiple Clickers.

Or you can throw a brick or something to distract them while you sneak off in the other direction...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    .................Myself and others pointed out that whoever,hey was incorrect, but received no reply so perhaps whoever,hey didn't see the posts?...............

Oops, i hadn't read that back then.

Maybe i was just crap at the game because i never found melee or anything useful against them. Shooting didn't help too much either because it just alerted more clickers.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the hotel basement level aside, I really didn't find The Last of Us a difficult or overly frustrating experience at all.

I am not blowing my own trumpet and saying I'm a great gamer because I find constant sources of frustration in COD, FIFA...heck, even inFamous Second Son I found one of the hardest games I've ever played.

But The Last of Us didn't even register on my radar for difficulty. Once you knew the mechanics and the rules, and had a bit of patience, it was easy enough to get to grips with.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

COD
    GTA 5
    Elder Scrolls games

i don't understand how fifa is so popular. games are all about gameplay for me.

gta5 was a very good game, but it came no way near san andreas. feel like SA will be the height of the gta series.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna say Watch_Dogs too, probably about half way through and can't get around to completing it, it's borrrrrrrrring
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    I'm gonna say Watch_Dogs too, probably about half way through and can't get around to completing it, it's borrrrrrrrring

i don't think too many people are overrating it tbh. seen quite a few reviews give it 7/8 out of 10.