Options

Alex Salmond maybe planning to return to Westminster-BBC NEWS

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
Shall get a link shortly.

This is gonna be very dramatic potentially.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29750610

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given this is his theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0LKuoiTqI

that is rather surprising news ....
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Anyone would think SNP are going to hold the balance of power next May? What Cabinet job does he want?

A welcome addition anyway to dullsville.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    The portly little narcissist does love the limelight.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea - if he remained in Holyrood he would undermine Sturgeon's rule. And it's good that he still wants to stay in British politics.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Good to have Alex Salmond in Westminster making sure Scotland is not shoved to the side and who knows maybe a seat in Cabinet as well
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Alex taking the 'if you can't beat them join them' approach to Westminster now?
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Westminster be interesting if the likes of Salmond, Johnson & Farage are in it.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Anyone would think SNP are going to hold the balance of power next May? What Cabinet job does he want?

A welcome addition anyway to dullsville.

Er, well they are somewhat critically important in Scotland.

It's comments like this that make me wonder why Scotland voted to stay. Other members of the UK seem to have nothing but contempt for Scottish politics, and therefore, the Scottish people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall get a link shortly.

This is gonna be very dramatic potentially.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29750610

He'll have to be elected to fight a seat first and he is still an MSP.

He hated Westminster last month.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't take him very long to consider returning to the gravy train that he so reviled.

I note that he won't be giving up as an MSP just in case he won't be elected as an MP if he was to stand.

He pretty much chapels to reinforce the worst aspect of politicians for me.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Didn't take him very long to consider returning to the gravy train that he so reviled.

I note that he won't be giving up as an MSP just in case he won't be elected as an MP if he was to stand.

wonder if SNP's surge in the polls for next years GE and the possibility of ending up in a coalition with labour had anything to do with this decision

surely not, he wouldn't be doing something like this purely to get a seat at the top table with the party he was so dismissive of ...
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea - if he remained in Holyrood he would undermine Sturgeon's rule. And it's good that he still wants to stay in British politics.

Stay in British politics? He lead a campaign to leave British politics.
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    wonder if SNP's surge in the polls for next years GE and the possibility of ending up in a coalition with labour had anything to do with this decision

surely not, he wouldn't be doing something like this purely to get a seat at the top table with the party he was so dismissive of ...

But he wouldn't even consider working with the Red Tories would he?

Oh wait, the SNP have previously worked with the real Tories and so working with labour would be almostvthe same.

He actually said on the show that the SNP were winning the campaign until the infamous Vow.

I really do think he believes that too and he's clearly annoyed about it, continually saying that the Scottish people would have their voice heard at the GE. Didn't we already have our voice heard?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »

Maybe even deputy PM. It would be interesting seeing him represent the UK on the world stage when he has spent his whole life trying to leave it.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member

"Chapels" ? :confused:
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons...Wee Eck at the head a phalanx of SNP MPs could well hold the balance of power. :D
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

Well, would you, in his position?

He may, however, decide to give up his MSP seat after election to Westminster
  • Options
    MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that devolved powers to Scotland won't happen until after the General Election, I would assume he wants to have a strong position to challenge the LibLabCon on their home turf of Westminster if they try and water down the proposals or start dragging them out over 'English Votes for English Laws'.

The SNP will be pushing for their largest ever number of MP's at the next General Election, they stand to gain at the expense of Labour. I imagine they would want a strong hitter to lead that team (I can't name a single SNP Westminster MP, can any of you?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that devolved powers to Scotland won't happen until after the General Election, I would assume he wants to have a strong position to challenge the LibLabCon on their home turf of Westminster if they try and water down the proposals or start dragging them out over 'English Votes for English Laws'.

The SNP will be pushing for their largest ever number of MP's at the next General Election, they stand to gain at the expense of Labour. I imagine they would want a strong hitter to lead that team (I can't name a single SNP Westminster MP, can any of you?)

Angus MacNeil (but don't ask me to spell the constituency)...he is a particularly assiduous attendee at debates and frequently called to speak.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Maybe even deputy PM. It would be interesting seeing him represent the UK on the world stage when he has spent his whole life trying to leave it.

Can't see that going down well with the rest of the UK, Scotland punching a bit above its weight there, especially in the vast swathes of England that already feel unrepresented and marginalised. Especially if the SNP only has a few MPs in one part of the union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Can't see that going down well with the rest of the UK, Scotland punching a bit above its weight there, especially in the vast swathes of England that already feel unrepresented and marginalised. Especially if the SNP only has a few MPs in one part of the union.

If any area of the UK has punched above its weight it's Northern Ireland...for years the Tories had a pact with the Ulster Unionists...and once they were electorally annihilated their successors the DUP were promising Cameron their support to form a govt even before the election in May 2010 when it was becoming clearer no overall majority was likely.

And TBH living in England I'd rather the balance of power rested with the SNP than a bunch of sectarians who on social policy would make a medieval Pope look like a raving liberal.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably the SNP are thinking they can replace a fair number of Scottish Labour MPs.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Presumably the SNP are thinking they can replace a fair number of Scottish Labour MPs.

and the SNP MP's won't vote on English issues. At leazt they tend not to at the moment.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    That evil oppressive Westminster.

Or not, apparently.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

They do and they almost certainly will. They reckon they can add at least 12 seats to the 9 they already hold; some think they can add as many as 15-18 seats, taking a few off the Lib-Dems too of course. That would give them over 25 Westminster MP's and a good chance that'll be more than the Lib-Dems will have.

Real problem for Ed Milliband, as where in England/Wales can he find an extra 12+ seats on top of the ones he already needs to win back? It is starting to look like Ed has no chance unless he can deal with the SNP. And Lo and behold....looks like Alex could be back in Westminster. lol . I thought he was daft giving up the leadership so quickly, but it looks like he knew what and where his best chances of having some clout were all along.