Travelling to Malaga, Spain - Can I take food in my hold luggage?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
I'm going to Malaga, Spain on Friday.

I will be self-catering and as I arriving quite late, I wanted to take some dried pasta/sauce with me in my hold luggage so I can have a snack when I arrive.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to do this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fairly certain you are - as long as it's in your suitcase and not your hand baggage is won't be a problem.

Have a lovely time!
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    I'm fairly certain you are - as long as it's in your suitcase and not your hand baggage is won't be a problem.

Have a lovely time!

I went to Hong Kong last week and I was worried I couldn't take some fruit in my hand luggage but the security woman at Gatwick said it was fine, as long as liquids are less than 100ml and in the see through bag things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    I went to Hong Kong last week and I was worried I couldn't take some fruit in my hand luggage but the security woman at Gatwick said it was fine, as long as liquids are less than 100ml and in the see through bag things.

yeah but the pasta sauce probably would be over the 100ml I would've thought. Solid food is fine on the flight though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    When I went to oz you could take food so long as it was processed - fresh food is not allowed as you could grow an non-indigineous plant etc...

dried pasta should be fine - if you're worried just declare it when you go through customs -there are usually signs and bins for any food you wan to leave before you enter the country as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the quick replies!!

Don't know how much the sauce is, it's only a small pot.

I won't take it in my hand luggage anyway - i'll chuck it in my suitcase.

Are you allowed to take food on the flight, to eat in the flight, like sweets, cookies etc?

Sorry - I feel really clueless today :o
    Forum Member
    yeah but the pasta sauce probably would be over the 100ml I would've thought. Solid food is fine on the flight though
    Oh yes pasta sauce is a liquid! In that case it would have to 100ml or less, much easier to stick in checked-in luggage.
    Forum Member
    deckchair wrote: »
    Are you allowed to take food on the flight, to eat in the flight, like sweets, cookies etc?
    Yes, and you remember you can still take on board drinks, liquids, as long as it's bought "airside" i.e after security.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best thing to do is check with airline, and check import laws for spain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the quick replies!!

Don't know how much the sauce is, it's only a small pot.

I won't take it in my hand luggage anyway - i'll chuck it in my suitcase.

Sorry - I feel really clueless today :o

can I recomemnd that you place it inside something else as well. Cos if it's in the hold it may well freeze and of course if it freezes it will burst the top off /break the the jar. This happened to me with a tub of aqueous cream :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    get some good lock and lock containers, i took them last time i went to america , and i put everything in them, yes i mean everything, one i wanted to leave them with the wife in america, and two wanted to make sure nothing got damaged. They protected everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    I'm glad to hear that someone else is asking this question also. So thanks for this thread deckchair. My mum and aunts are off to Rome on Friday and were asking about food, and I'm of to Spain at the end of the month so was wondering the same thing.

So I'm taking it that once you get through Security you can buy drinks and other things like crisps ec and take them on the plane with you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do sell food in other countries, you know...
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some of the Dolmio sachets, there is less likelihood of them splitting than the glass jar breaking in the freezing conditions in the hold.
    Pasta sauce and dried pasta in the checked in baggage will be absolutely fine. There were problems with bringing in meat during the Foot n mouth and BSE problems, but they are I think in the past.
    And sweets for the flight are fine in your hand luggage.
    Not water though - get a bottle once you get through security.
  • bigc127bigc127 Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    can I recomemnd that you place it inside something else as well. Cos if it's in the hold it may well freeze and of course if it freezes it will burst the top off /break the the jar. This happened to me with a tub of aqueous cream :(

This shouldn't be a problem anymore, most aircraft holds are now pressurized and therefore subject to the same temperatures as the cabin. That is why you're allowed to put aerosols into your checked baggage now
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some self catering places abroad give you a welcome basket with food.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coxy0211 wrote: »

Exactly! What is it with people? Do they think you cannot buy these items in other countries? Very strange. :confused::D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote: »
    Exactly! What is it with people? Do they think you cannot buy these items in other countries? Very strange. :confused::D

Some people are just mean with money too! Or they assume products are more expensive abroad or that they won't sell their favourite brand!
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to Malaga, Spain on Friday.

I will be self-catering and as I arriving quite late, I wanted to take some dried pasta/sauce with me in my hold luggage so I can have a snack when I arrive.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to do this?

Are you staying in Malaga itself ?

If so theres a great Carrefour supermarket there.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I take my own spices to Florida when I go because you try getting some of them, it's nigh on impossible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you know you'll be arriving after the shops shut surely it makes sense to take something to keep body and soul together until the morning?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of Scottish peple liketo take square sausage with them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    coxy0211 wrote: »

Yes I'm sure they do but not when you're arriving at 4am in the morning, nowhere's open. And it has been the same way the past 4 times I arrived at that time of the morning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a good nosh at the Airport and get stocked up in the morning.

You can survive for a few hours surely without food. The shops'll be open at 9 at the latest.
  • bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can take anything through Malaga airport and they will not bat an eyelid.

Been through there 6 times and seen nobody resembling a customs official. There does not even seem to be an official customs desk/search point.

There is a luggage carousel though which is on its own though, situated at the end of the baggage reclaim room, surrounded by perspex and which always seems to be full of African-looking people - don't know why its boxed off from the rest though!

Not relevant to the subject but though I would mention it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a good nosh at the Airport and get stocked up in the morning.

You can survive for a few hours surely without food. The shops'll be open at 9 at the latest.

Of course you can. But why would you? Ok, you might, but it's not for me...i even take a carton of milk so i can have a cup of tea before i have to go shopping in the morning :D