Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    I don't see how we can move forward without finishing in the CL spots? The truly top class players won't want to join a club not in the competition

I never go for that argument. We've made it completely redundant by ourselves. Being in the Champions League for the last 6 years has helped us to attract Chamakh, Squillaci, Gervinho and a right-back who wasn't getting in the Charlton team every week.Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Santos doesn't look anything special. Mertesacke marginally better. I like Arteta but he and Chamberlain would have signed for us champions league or not.

We don't sign world-class players, Podolski is the first since Arshavin. The sort of players we could (and should) sign: say Clint Dempsey for instance would come here C.L or not.

Yet Spurs, can bring in and keep Modric & VanderVaart without C.L football and less of a guarantee of it. Chelsea are still doing and will, so have big Serie A sides, even Newcastle have shown you can bring in decent players without any European football.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    After reading Fab Cesc's post:
    Thats true and I agree with you :) It depresses me because if we'd been a bit sharper, won those drawn games or beaten Swansea, Chelsea at home etc, we could have been challenging for the title :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're on MOTD now. I'll judge the 4 penalty claims.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The one at the end was an absolute joke, stonewall penalty, FFS he was impeded! If RVP hadnt been shoved he would have just tapped that into an open goal, the Norwich player is on loan from Spu*s, coincidence? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only showed 1 of each sides 2 claims.

I could not offer one, even remotely logical explanation why Martin's or RVPs were not given. Makes you wonder what these officials are looking at.

Seriously, there is not an explanation for either, two of the most blatant you will ever see.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never go for that argument. We've made it completely redundant by ourselves. Being in the Champions League for the last 6 years has helped us to attract Chamakh, Squillaci, Gervinho and a right-back who wasn't getting in the Charlton team every week.Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Santos doesn't look anything special. Mertesacke marginally better. I like Arteta but he and Chamberlain would have signed for us champions league or not.

We don't sign world-class players, Podolski is the first since Arshavin. The sort of players we could (and should) sign: say Clint Dempsey for instance would come here C.L or not.

Yet Spurs, can bring in and keep Modric & VanderVaart without C.L football and less of a guarantee of it. Chelsea are still doing and will, so have big Serie A sides, even Newcastle have shown you can bring in decent players without any European football.

I keep seeing this point. What makes Podolski world class and Mertesacker not? They have almost identical records at international level (age and games played).
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The one at the end was an absolute joke, stonewall penalty, FFS he was impeded! If RVP hadnt been shoved he would have just tapped that into an open goal, the Norwich player is on loan from Spu*s, coincidence? :rolleyes:

Had Rooney been on the recieving end of that push....well..we know the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    I keep seeing this point. What makes Podolski world class and Mertesacker not? They have almost identical records at international level (age and games played).

Pace for one thing, or lack of.

I'm not necessarily convinced Podolski is world class but it's at least the type of signing we should be making. No complaints having signed Mertesacke, but we would benefit from a new CB and that would push him down to 4th - not that it'll happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is this new Arsenal car for real?:eek:

You'd have to drive around North London and not through it. (It's in the video and further down the page.)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/win-a-citro-n-ds3
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wenger reminds me of johnny english in that :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fab cesc wrote: »
    Wenger reminds me of johnny english in that :o

I fear the winner will have to put up with balls and missiles flying in his direction on a daily basis.:eek:
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunce-2007 wrote: »
    Is this new Arsenal car for real?:eek:

You'd have to drive around North London and not through it. (It's in the video and further down the page.)

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/win-a-citro-n-ds3

Every time I watch these videos the players seem to have such a nice camaraderie.
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they actually shoot at the goal 'shock' it must be photoshopped!
  • Options
    mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mesonychid wrote: »

Including sleeves and socks that appear to be sponsored by Pepsi...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    Every time I watch these videos the players seem to have such a nice camaraderie.

Hope it's a true reflection of the players behind the scenes as they do look like they're having a lot of fun. Just saw 2 good clips with szczesny and Whiltshire playing fifa and another with Djourou and Henry clowning around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Including sleeves and socks that appear to be sponsored by Pepsi...

Well at least the red shield/logo has returned, wasn't a fan of the current white retro design.
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunce-2007 wrote: »
    Hope it's a true reflection of the players behind the scenes as they do look like they're having a lot of fun. Just saw 2 good clips with szczesny and Whiltshire playing fifa and another with Djourou and Henry clowning around.

they don't have to worry about winning anything or money ! we do!

i see candleface is doing some major reversing.the bullshit is coming fast from his honest gob about the england job.the trials over rosie47 ,go back to your normal self.what more did the fa know i wonder ?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Word is, Steve Bould will be the new assistant manager. Great news, should bring fresh ideas and much needed defensive work.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word is, Steve Bould will be the new assistant manager. Great news, should bring fresh ideas and much needed defensive work.

Yeah this seems to be word on the street. Whilst he should improve us in terms of organisation and defending I remain sceptical to how much dear leader will welcome opinions that aren't his own? Time will tell but it can only a good thing IMHO.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    I heard Ray Parlour on TalkSport this morning say that he was adamant that Arsene simpy hasn't had the money available for transfers .

There was a list on DS yesterday that showed Arsenal to be 14th on the list of Premier league spenders . Chelsea 1st , City 2nd and United 3rd.

Looks like he may have done pretty well given the financial constraints.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Yeah this seems to be word on the street. Whilst he should improve us in terms of organisation and defending I remain sceptical to how much dear leader will welcome opinions that aren't his own? Time will tell but it can only a good thing IMHO.
    Hopefully he can work on Vermaelen's positioning. While he has been great going forward, he needs to concentrate on defending. Is it any coincidence Ajax conceded 41 and 40 goals in his last two seasons there, but the club outscored the other teams?
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Absolutely. And the refs thinking doesn't make sense either. If he doesn't think that is a foul, then why isn't RVP booked for diving?! Ridiculous decision!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    I heard Ray Parlour on TalkSport this morning say that he was adamant that Arsene simpy hasn't had the money available for transfers .

There was a list on DS yesterday that showed Arsenal to be 14th on the list of Premier league spenders . Chelsea 1st , City 2nd and United 3rd.

Looks like he may have done pretty well given the financial constraints.

Do you fill your days reading rubbish on twatter and listening to nonsense on talksport before filling the forum with your opinions? As much as I like the Romford pele he really shouldn't be held up as an authority on anything. We know he doesn't have much money, it's what he does spend and how he spends it which is the problem. Toodle pip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he can work on Vermaelen's positioning. While he has been great going forward, he needs to concentrate on defending. Is it any coincidence Ajax conceded 41 and 40 goals in his last two seasons there, but the club outscored the other teams?

To be honest it's 1 of many things he needs to look at starting with defending as a unit and knowing as a team what to do without the ball. If he can crack those then the rest should follow as I maintain we have good defenders apart from our left backs.
This discussion has been closed.