Options

Mel C reduced to selling her new album via QVC

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    She's the only Spice Girl I have any time for, as well as thinking she had the best voice of the five. I won't be buying her album but wish her well. No shame in selling it on QVC, if that's what it takes. It's a competitive world, the music industry, and you have to work with the available promotional resources if you want to market something, I guess.

I agree - she has used an outlet to promote her CD. At least she's got off her backside and actually done something. I'd have less respect for her if as soon as the radio stations stopped playing & promoting her music she gave up.
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey flogs her tripe on QVC...

Leave Melanie alone. She has nothing to prove.

Stages is a brilliant album. As was The Sea.

If UK radio refuse to play you - regardless of the quality of the material, then of course an artist will go to other avenues.

But just to say, Melanie has also been promoting on:

The Jonathan Ross Show
    Alan Carr: Chatty Man
    This Morning
    Loose Women
    Alan Titchmarsh
    Children In Need....
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    A day sitting on a sofa talking about yourself isn't exactly difficult work. Flogging your tat on QVC is only one step up from the Daily Mail giving it away.

Meow :D
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the snobbery towards QVC. Like I said in another thread, it appeals to an audience who does not worry about what's "cool"...so what's the problem? I'm more bothered by the unpleasant elitism of mainstream radio stations, personally.
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the snobbery towards QVC. Like I said in another thread, it appeals to an audience who does not worry about what's "cool"...so what's the problem? I'm more bothered by the unpleasant elitism of mainstream radio stations, personally.

Exactly!
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's not elitism so much as good taste. I don't want mawkish crap covers by soldiers or their wives, or fishermen from wherever... Or Steps or Boring Keating.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    John Barrowman as well - an album and a skincare range.

Yes, and Barrowman was the trend setter for singers flogging albums on QVC.
    It was his success that lead to the Chart rules being changed to allow QVC sales to qualify. I think he sold 2000 albums in 10 minutes :eek: :cool:

(there was an article in the Guardian a few years ago about it)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Mel C has not been one to let anyone decide for her that her career was over. When her record label dropped her, she started her own label. If the radio stations won't play her, she'll go elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with an album of show tunes either. I love Mel's voice and am looking forward to hearing what she's done with the tunes come Christmas, when this will hopefully be one of my stocking fillers :D
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Maybe it's not elitism so much as good taste. I don't want mawkish crap covers by soldiers or their wives, or fishermen from wherever... Or Steps or Boring Keating.

Who is any one person to decide what is good taste? Music is more or less entirely subjective. There are so many reasons why one person might enjoy artist A and why others will prefer artist B. Don't people who enjoy the sort of stuff QVC sell have a right to do so without being judged so harshly? There is obviously a big audience for it so I find the sneering rather strange.

I like easy listening and classical crossover myself, depending on who is singing them. I wouldn't buy anything from QVC but I see no reason to look down my nose at people who do, or those who use it to sell their products. Who does it hurt?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's earning a living, good for her. Would everyone prefer her to sit at home on Jobseekers.:confused:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    She's earning a living, good for her. Would everyone prefer her to sit at home on Jobseekers.:confused:

This.

What's wrong with promoting on QVC? Promotion is promotion and it's part of her job, to sell music.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    This.

What's wrong with promoting on QVC? Promotion is promotion and it's part of her job, to sell music.

Agree. Nothing wrong. It's a pragmatic move. All power to her elbow and all that! :) Also, I don't think she's been 'reduced' to anything. Peoples' tastes move and change with the times. Nobody stays at the top for ever.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    "Mel C looked slimmer than ever"

Phrases like this make me hate the Mail. Its irrelevant and they say it as though its a bad thing!

As for appearing on QVC, she's on the telly isn't she? Its not like she's touring holiday camps and Hospital Radio stations is it?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    In the last couple of years, QVC have had loads of singers on flogging an album:-

Mel C
    Susan Boyle
    Ill Divo
    Ronan Keating
    Steps
    Military Wives
    Michael Ball
    Daniel O'Donnell
    Elaine Paige
    Noah Stewart - No me either
    Katherine Jenkins
    The Soldiers
    Some Fishermen from Cornwall I think
    and loads more that I can't remember.

Then you've got loads of celebs flogging Skincare and Jewellery

Lulu
    Arlene Phillips
    Andrea Mclean

At the end of the day, it all comes down to cold hard cash.
    If it wasn't worth there while, they wouldn't do it. They must be raking it in.

With these has-beens on air flogging tat no wonder QVC is my idea of hell ;)