Hollyoaks: John Paul storyline

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
Sorry if there's already a thread about this, but it's been a while since it's been on screen.

I feel this story was doomed the day they made Finn the rapist. It should have been Robbie. Right from the start he was a manipulative little brat, borderline psycho. Finn on the other hand - would anyone have believed Old Finn could rape someone, aged 16?
It would also be realistic for Finn to be too scared to confess, and for Phoebe to be scared of Robbie, a nasty bully, rather than weak Finn. Strong Phoebe falling for weak, manipulated Finn despite his bullying of her uncle, would also have been more realistic. Plus the Roscoes, a big new family, going up against the McQueens, would have been fantastic, and we could see Jason, Joe, Ziggy and especially Sandy's reactions to their brother and son committing such a horrific crime. Apart from the fact that Finn showed an initially reluctant bully could become a cold rapist, I don't understand why they had Finn become the villain. :confused: >:(

I also think Danny, angry at, or to prevent, the break up of his family, assaulting and raping JP would have been more believable. We've already seen his cold, cruel side with Ste. :(

I just feel Finn isn't believable as a rapist. At the beginning, I wanted to believe in the story, but I just don't anymore. Plus, Charlie Wernham is a better actor than Keith Rice, and could have played the range of emotions, from vile to vulnerable, that a teen rapist should have, whereas Keith plays a constantly vile, borderline panto one note character.

What are your thoughts? :)

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no issue with Finn being the rapist, I think Keith's a good actor I can see how Robbie's constant bullying, feeling like the loser of the family and JPs words to him on the night of the rape led him to react in the most extreme way.
    What I hate is that they made JP out to be someone who touches up students, I understand he is in prison for hitting Robbie but I wish the real statement had been read out (the bit about the rape didn't need to be included) JP then gets a suspended sentence. I know they had to accommodate for James break but I think prison should have not been the option.
    I hope once he comes out of prison the sl picks up again, and not just for one day but for couple of weeks.
  • SamL94SamL94 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I personally disagree. I feel that Finn was a better option than Robbie. Robbie is a bully, yes, but no more than that. He might name call, etc, but he wouldn't rape. Finn, on the other hand, was angry. He didn't like the fact that Robbie was pushing him around, he didn't like the fact that he's been pushed to one side by his family once the twins had been born, etc. It was more believable that he would commit a crime like that, as he was in a worser state than Robbie.
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also have no problem with Finn being the rapist. The way it played out it was more of a personal vendetta that Finn had with John Paul and Robbie is more of a general bully. The problem I have is with the rape storyline continuing while the victim is off screen for several months. The whole situation looks quite contrived.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No issues with Finn being the attacker but I think the pacing and telling of the story has been really poorly handled which is a shame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    In a way it makes more sense for it to be Finn not Robbie, Finn felt angry, lost and weak , he raped JP to assert power over him and that is what he is getting off on now having control of every situation his is in, I think Keith is a great actor and is more suited for the role, but yeah Robbie is a nasty bully but I don't think he would cross the line Finn has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Finn being the rapist, I just don't feel Keith portrays him very well. There's no hint of kindness or compassion, he's just utterly vile and contemptible. I agree the story should have been focused on a lot more, maybe then Keith could have developed the character better. They said we'd see how both parties reacted to the rape, we hardly saw anything from either of them. :( >:(

The jail twist was awful, but they had to do something if James Sutton had to go away. Jp should have gone to live with Chloe and Matthew in Ireland for a few months, or even going to stay with his dad would have been better. :(
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    I have no issue with Finn being the rapist, I think Keith's a good actor I can see how Robbie's constant bullying, feeling like the loser of the family and JPs words to him on the night of the rape led him to react in the most extreme way.
    What I hate is that they made JP out to be someone who touches up students, I understand he is in prison for hitting Robbie but I wish the real statement had been read out (the bit about the rape didn't need to be included) JP then gets a suspended sentence. I know they had to accommodate for James break but I think prison should have not been the option.
    I hope once he comes out of prison the sl picks up again, and not just for one day but for couple of weeks.

I agree with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with showing kindness and guilt it could take away from the sl, if they started showing Finn being nice and showing guilt I don't think it would work with this sl. Some of the stuff is too panto like Phoebe being scared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with showing kindness and guilt it could take away from the sl, if they started showing Finn being nice and showing guilt I don't think it would work with this sl. Some of the stuff is too panto like Phoebe being scared.

Also Finn did what he did purely for power and control so it's much more likely he'd be cold hearted. It was also after months of homophobic bullying of JP (though Robbie was equally guilty of that). Finn being evil is the only thing that would work for this storyline.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    The actor playing Finn is a tremendous actor. Finn is a vile bully and I have been disgusted with his actions but I'm glad it isn't Robbie. When I heard about the potential John Paul storyline (before they revealed the rape storyline), I actually thought Robbie may rape JP. But I was shocked to hear it was Finn. I don't like how it's being portrayed but I suppose it does happen to some real life people :(
    Forum Member

I agree
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    The problem I have with the storyline is that there wasn't enough build up to the rape. I think the storyline should have had more screen time even before the rape the bullying would feature for a couple of episodes then would be off screen for weeks. I have no problem with Finn being the rapist but there was too much of a build with Robbie. During the bullying we have seen Robbie be this vile homophobic bully who really hated JP and wanted to see him suffer whereas they have shown Finn to be this lonely weak boy who was peer pressured into bullying JP, we have seen him show guilt and be hesitant before. I have a feeling Finn wasn't the original choice. His build up wasn't very realistic imo and it felt very contrived which is a shame as Finn was a very good character before. Plus Keith Rice is a very good actor I wish Hollyoaks would have written Finn with more layers and not just some panto villain. It just seems like lazy writing to be honest.
    Forum Member
    The problem I have with the storyline is that there wasn't enough build up to the rape. I think the storyline should have had more screen time even before the rape the bullying would feature for a couple of episodes then would be off screen for weeks. I have no problem with Finn being the rapist but there was too much of a build with Robbie. During the bullying we have seen Robbie be this vile homophobic bully who really hated JP and wanted to see him suffer whereas they have shown Finn to be this lonely weak boy who was peer pressured into bullying JP, we have seen him show guilt and be hesitant before. I have a feeling Finn wasn't the original choice. His build up wasn't very realistic imo and it felt very contrived which is a shame as Finn was a very good character before. Plus Keith Rice is a very good actor I wish Hollyoaks would have written Finn with more layers and not just some panto villain. It just seems like lazy writing to be honest.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    Hopefully when JP returns the storyline will pick up again.
    Forum Member

I agree to an extent. Surely a rapist shouldn't just be shown as a one note villain. Surely they should show that he at least appears kind occasionally - to show that rapists aren't just EVIL or monsters. They are real people. I wanted to see Finn at least spend some time with the twins, to show, if he chose to, he could be a better person. :confused: >:(
    Forum Member

I agree, that's what I've been trying to say. :D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SamL94 wrote: »
    I personally disagree. I feel that Finn was a better option than Robbie. Robbie is a bully, yes, but no more than that. He might name call, etc, but he wouldn't rape. Finn, on the other hand, was angry. He didn't like the fact that Robbie was pushing him around, he didn't like the fact that he's been pushed to one side by his family once the twins had been born, etc. It was more believable that he would commit a crime like that, as he was in a worser state than Robbie.

Completely agree with this. It's the quiet ones you have to watch IMO. Both actors (JP and Finn) have excelled but I am extremely disappointed with how this storyline has been written.
    Forum Member
    Hey Guys it's official JP is returning tomorrow, yay :D

https://twitter.com/thejamessutton/status/466871457621241857
  • Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yay, I'm thrilled he's coming back. About Bl**dy time! :D;-)

Looks like What's on TV were right about him being released after all. I actually don't think we will see the prison incident tomorrow. James did say that something even more horrible than the incident with Sam will happen to JP during his time in prison that he will have to deal with on the outside. I don't think he actually said he filmed those prison scenes, we just assumed he had. Whatever it is that happened must have been off screen, so we the viewers will still not know what it is for a while! It looks like Carmel wants to put up some balloons for him to welcome him back. Something tells me he's not going to be in the mood!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ME1234567 wrote: »
    In a way it makes more sense for it to be Finn not Robbie, Finn felt angry, lost and weak , he raped JP to assert power over him and that is what he is getting off on now having control of every situation his is in, I think Keith is a great actor and is more suited for the role, but yeah Robbie is a nasty bully but I don't think he would cross the line Finn has.

I agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's brilliant. I have missed JP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh he is back tomorrow, can't wait. I hope it's not the little scene at the end of the credits, I want to see loads of JP.
    Forum Member
    Yeh he is back tomorrow, can't wait. I hope it's not the little scene at the end of the credits, I want to see loads of JP.

I agree, cause he isn't in spoilers for the next 2 weeks. Hopefully there not releasing anything because they have a surprise in store, at least that's what I am telling myself, lol :D:):):D
  • SamL94SamL94 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see John Paul's next scene with Finn, and also with Robbie.
This discussion has been closed.