Brookstein. What was that all about?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it can be seen here

This is a really interesting clip. Sharon says "you know he's going to win Simon" and "I think the public should know". What she trying to hint at Simon's Syco phones being on redial and it was a stitch up? How long after this did she and Simon part company? Was she a judge on BGT? I know she does a lot of judging on Americas Got Talent, maybe he had to buy her silence and give her that gig (she was already know in the US and Ozzy the god can do no wrong, unlike the unknown Cheryl Cole). There's more to this than meets the eye perhaps between her and Brookstein but I doubt he knew he was the chosen one by Simon 'want to rule the world' Cowell.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Simon Cowell is is just a modern day Victor Frankenstein

I don't know... I could empathise with Frankenstein's monster, because he had no role in his own creation. Steve Brookenstein knew the factory machine he was throwing himself into in the hope of a fast track to success, and when it didn't go his way, only then did he cry foul.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy-lou wrote: »
    This is a really interesting clip. Sharon says "you know he's going to win Simon" and "I think the public should know". What she trying to hint at Simon's Syco phones being on redial and it was a stitch up? How long after this did she and Simon part company? Was she a judge on BGT? I know she does a lot of judging on Americas Got Talent, maybe he had to buy her silence and give her that gig (she was already know in the US and Ozzy the god can do no wrong, unlike the unknown Cheryl Cole). There's more to this than meets the eye perhaps between her and Brookstein but I doubt he knew he was the chosen one by Simon 'want to rule the world' Cowell.

I think she simply knew that he had won every week. Even the bookies had him as the strong favourite going into the final. She continued to work on X Factor UK for 3 further years. In early 2007, she took an extra job on America's Got Talent. She left X Factor UK in 2008 after falling out with Dannii Minogue.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookstein at best was an average singer, I couldn't see him having any real career and was proved right. He showed no real 'X-factor' and only won because the rest of the competitors were not that particularly good either. What has been disappointing is his continual outbursts in the media which just goes to show he has no class and that Sharon was right.
  • Options
    Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    and only won because the rest of the competitors were not that particularly good either. .

That is so true! Put him up with Leona, Alex Burke or JLS and he would have gone first week!
  • Options
    Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    Agree with all this! I don't think Steve helps himself, but having watched the whole show i couldn't understand Sharon's vitriol towards him!

I reckon he was laughing at Sharon in this clip haha. No longer a Steve fan, but Sharon is a vile lady. Even though when she branded him a fake she was correct. Still wasnt nice the way she behaved though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OirSjlgOmyA&feature=related
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon behaved really badly towards him and her rude outbursts probably helped him to win in the end. I have a certain amount of sympathy for Steve, he went on the show to further his career and when he won found that he had no control over what he was asked to sing. For a creative person that must be really frustrating. It might have been a better career move to go along with what he was asked to do for a while in the hope that in the future he would have more say if he became a big name. I doubt if this would have happened though as he was already too old for a pop career and he really wasn't outstanding in any way.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve has a good voice, but he made the mistake of not licking Cowell's backside. When he was expected to release a second album of covers he objected and asked to be released from his contract, big mistake to have crossed Cowell, who's publicity machine branded Steve a failure through lack of talent and effectively caused him to be blacklisted. Steve is not one to hide his anger or his feelings, he does get too aggressive in defence of himself, but maybe I would be angry if the same happened to me. Sharon behaved disgustingly during that final, she should have been sacked then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    I don't know... I could empathise with Frankenstein's monster, because he had no role in his own creation. Steve Brookenstein knew the factory machine he was throwing himself into in the hope of a fast track to success, and when it didn't go his way, only then did he cry foul.

See I don't think he did. Txf was in it's first year and I think he didn't know what a monster it would become.
  • Options
    Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    He wanted to write his own songs and control his own image.

Syco showed him the door.

I think if you are a singer and youw ant to go anywhere near that grotesque show and that grotesque man Scowell you need to understand that you will be totally controlled.

Steve should forget that show and try and make his way using his talent, if he's making a living out of singing then it can't be all bad.
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Steve was the Matt Cardle of that year - a good singer, a bit older, good looking and appealing to middle age mums.

At that stage the X Factor was probably thought of by the contestents as a talent contest and not a Simon Cowel money making publicity vehical and so I suspect Steve thought that by winning (and Simon was very paly with him) he could grow as an artist and indulge in his own creativity. Of course Cowel's business model is about money not creativity and Steve, being older and less open to manipulation than others in a similar position, tried to fight as I assume embracing it would have been the more sucessful but ultimately souless option.

Sharon to Steve that night was like Cheryl to Wagner. Vulgar, egotistical, unessesary and inappropriate.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Young was lucky in that he won Pop Idol before Cowell was really into the whole reality thing. It was the first time he had judged so didn't know then what he does now.

I am so glad that Will did his own thing and that Simon Fuller is his manager.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilkt wrote: »
    See I don't think he did. Txf was in it's first year and I think he didn't know what a monster it would become.

I agree with you. It was the first series of XF and no one really knew what they were letting themselves in for.
    Popstars and Pop Idol had already been on but those acts had some success. Hearsay fell apart but only after a lot of success to start with. Will, Gareth and darius all had good careers after PI, Girls Aloud were doing well and, although Michelle had flopped, it was always because of her size if you believed the media.
    So those first XF contestants had no reason to believe they wouldn't get a decent career if they did well on the show.

I liked Steve on the show. I do like his voice but maybe there was a reason why he'd never made it before. He does seem bitter about the whole thing and does mouth off but maybe he's got good reason to.
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I felt very sorry for Steve when Sharon laid into him. It was extremely unprofessional of her. However I went off Steve big time after he carried on as though x-factor had somehow let him down. It was actually a great help to him as it is to many singers. A lot of singers want to introduce their own compositions but that takes time.

He's a decent singer but not much different to many others of his genre. At least he is better known now and has made some money.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDee wrote: »
    He apparently came first most weeks of the x factor, which is why Sharon says 'You know he's going to win,Simon' - so Im not sure if he won due to Sharon's rant.
    Steve was one of Simon's acts, in the over25s. They were shown to be best buds all through the lives shows and Simon was a big support for Steve through 'the tough moments', stood up for Steve, went for **** breaks together etc.. Sharon criticised him more than was needed, e.g she made a big issue of the fact he smiled too much, then topped it off by behaving in the most appauling manner at the final. Whatever people think of him, no contestant deserves to be spoken to like that infront of millions of viewers, family, parents etc. It was very competitive between the judges then and she behaved liked a bit of a brat when things didnt go her way. Louis was pretty decent towards him but obviously backed his act, G4.

Steve released a single and album of covers, both went to number1 I think. Then album2 - Simon wanted ONLY covers, Steve thought this was naff and wanted to do a mix of covers and new material. Im guessing Simon didnt want the time and money invested in an X factor winner, just wanted to churn out covers so, they decided to part ways. I think story goes that they agreed a joint statement or interview would be made but the next day Steve opens the papers and the tabloids have been told he was dropped due to poor sales.

Now Steve is very bitter, not helped by the fact that everytime his name is brought up on Xfactor everybody laughs about what a failure he was as a winner - In reality thats their 'spin', he didnt fail in the way that a couple of others have -he didnt have the opportunity, he just didnt play the game which was perharps foolish. Not sure which side of the story is true but I'm more inclined to believe Steve, after seeing how Simon has treated people over the past few years, since that first X factor. However Steve doesnt help himself by coming across as incredibly bitter and nasty about people. Steve is apparently writing a 'tell-all' book on X factor...

I actually find this version of events very believable , thanks for enlightening me ,though it must be said I never found anything particularly special about him as a singer