Options

Fox bites off baby boy's finger

Comments

• Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Some of you would hate me. I encourage woodmice to live in my shed and provide nesting and food for them. They are classed as vermin as well.

When a mum mouse made a nest and had babies behind my kitchen cupboard last year, I set up humane traps and caught them all over a couple of days. We kept them all in a big fish tank until we had the lot, then released them all together in a nice little area by the fishing pits. Just because something is "vermin" doesn't mean we have to exterminate it.

In fact, my kids were reluctant to let them go at all - but that is where I draw the line!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    When was the last time a baby was seriously injured by a hedgehog?

My husband stood on one once, when putting the rubbish out wearing only his socks (as footwear I mean, he wasn't naked!).

It hurt, but he refrained by culling the entire local population just because this one dared to walk over to our front door.
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are around 300,000 foxes in Britain. How many times have we read that they have killed someone? In my case never, unless someone knows differently. If they are so dangerous, out of all these thousands of foxes surely there should be thousands of deaths or injuries reported by these so called vicious beasts.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    When a mum mouse made a nest and had babies behind my kitchen cupboard last year, I set up humane traps and caught them all over a couple of days. We kept them all in a big fish tank until we had the lot, then released them all together in a nice little area by the fishing pits. Just because something is "vermin" doesn't mean we have to exterminate it.

In fact, my kids were reluctant to let them go at all - but that is where I draw the line!

I rescued one from the jaws of a neighbour's bloody cat, a few years ago. I took care of him for two years till he died. I've loved them ever since and do what I can in my garden - and shed! - to help them survive. They accepted my presence quite quickly and co-operated while I photographed them! http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC07708.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC06584.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC07789.jpg
  • Options
    Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you would hate me. I encourage woodmice to live in my shed and provide nesting and food for them. They are classed as vermin as well.

Me too, except substitute shed for daughter's unused summer house. I even made it catproof for them. I know I should be gleefully stamping on them or poisoning them and watching them shrivel up....but I guess me and my kids are just self hating misanthropes.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And, of course, the mice already living in the area would have welcomed them with open arms:rolleyes:

When I've had mice they gnawed into food packets and shat in them, so I had to chuck it all out. They got into the cutlary drawer so I had to disinfect the lot (they urinate everywhere they go and the urine carries disease). Sorry, but mice get very short shrift in my house - the Little Nipper did his work well.
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle_T wrote: »
    Me too, except substitute shed for daughter's unused summer house. I even made it catproof for them. I know I should be gleefully stamping on them or poisoning them and watching them shrivel up....but I guess me and my kids are just self hating misanthropes.

I haven't done that but if I had to, I probably would. I hate to see any creature suffer. I have rescued other animals though. So nice to see that there are still animal lovers around, warms the cockles...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rescued one from the jaws of a neighbour's bloody cat, a few years ago. I took care of him for two years till he died. I've loved them ever since and do what I can in my garden - and shed! - to help them survive. They accepted my presence quite quickly and co-operated while I photographed them! http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC07708.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC06584.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/pompeychicknorfolk/Sharing/Mice/DSC07789.jpg

They are very cute. I couldn't kill something like that either.

My cats used to bring home baby rabbits when I lived near some fields. They would make such an awful squealing noise, but I perfected the "throw a bucket of cold water in the cat's face and he'll drop it" technique, and managed to save quite a few over the years.

I wasn't so lucky with the seagull one of my cats dragged home once though :(

Most bizarre has to be my cat "Mary" (not named by me!) who brought home live bats on 2 occasions!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

those are some of the best mouse pics EVER!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CBeeN wrote: »
    those are some of the best mouse pics EVER!

That's very kind of you, thank you.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband stood on one once, when putting the rubbish out wearing only his socks (as footwear I mean, he wasn't naked!).

It hurt, but he refrained by culling the entire local population just because this one dared to walk over to our front door.

I'm surprised he considered culling the entire local population of hedgehogs but pleased to know that he managed to refrain from doing so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    There are around 300,000 foxes in Britain. How many times have we read that they have killed someone? In my case never, unless someone knows differently. If they are so dangerous, out of all these thousands of foxes surely there should be thousands of deaths or injuries reported by these so called vicious beasts.

How many would you like there to be...how many babies need to be scared for life, how many should have their fingers chewed off or lose arms before we begin to demand that councils are made to use fox proof bins, introduce penalties for people who dump edible litter and stop idiots from feeding them.

Would that be one, two, three.....at what point would you be satisfied?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many would you like there to be...how many babies need to be scared for life, how many should have their fingers chewed off or lose arms before we begin to demand that councils are made to use fox proof bins, introduce penalties for people who dump edible litter and stop idiots from feeding them.

Would that be one, two, three.....at what point would you be satisfied?

Dogs are responsible for hundreds more attacks than foxes. Should they be culled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs are responsible for hundreds more attacks than foxes. Should they be culled?

Edit...you did my post didnt you?.. you know, the one that did not suggest that foxes be culled.

Oh and for the record....yes a dog should be destroyed if it is known to be dangerous. As far as I am aware if a dog kills or injures a child it is destroyed.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

must not let the half see this!! every time I rescue a live one from the cat he wants to keep it, but I tell him no because it's a wild animal...

*tries to delete WHOLE thread so he doesn't see pics and makes us keep the next one*
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote:
    Oh and for the record....yes a dog should be destroyed if it is known to be dangerous..

By your logic, which says only an idiot would feed a fox thereby increasing the risk of a baby attack, would it not also be the case that only idiots keep dogs, which are responsible for far more child maulings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Edit...you did my post didnt you?.. you know, the one that did not suggest that foxes be culled.

Oh and for the record....yes a dog should be destroyed if it is known to be dangerous. As far as I am aware if a dog kills or injures a child it is destroyed.
    Yes, I did see your post.

I asked you a question, that's all. Thank you for answering.
    Badcat wrote: »
    must not let the half see this!! every time I rescue a live one from the cat he wants to keep it, but I tell him no because it's a wild animal...

*tries to delete WHOLE thread so he doesn't see pics and makes us keep the next one*

:D They're such little characters, I adore them!
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

:D They're such little characters, I adore them!

So do I, I have a little family of meeces in the shed and I make sure that they have a little dish of food so that they don't have to go out in the snow. I'm a soft as a brush. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    By your logic, which says only an idiot would feed a fox thereby increasing the risk of a baby attack, would it not also be the case that only idiots keep dogs, which are responsible for far more child maulings?

Its not my logic, its been widely reported that feeding foxes contributes towards the problem...however in answering your question I will pose one...if a fox and a dog are interchangable why are foxes not kept as pets in the same way dogs are?

There are already laws in place to deal with dangerous dogs and a dog which mauls a child is destroyed. To make a like for like comparison we would either need to look at packs of feral dogs being protected in the same way you suggest foxes should be despite it being proven that they have entered homes and bitten/mauled young babies causing significant injuries. What do you think the authorities would do if that happened....I'm guessing it would a round up and cull.....

....or we would need to look at homes where foxes are routinely kept as pets...ahh, that doesnt happen and we can only assume it is because they do not make good pets. If someone did keep a fox as a pet and it mauled a child it would be destroyed in the same way a dog would.
  • Options
    jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not my logic, its been widely reported that feeding foxes contributes towards the problem...however in answering your question I will pose one...if a fox and a dog are interchangable why are foxes not kept as pets in the same way dogs are?

There are already laws in place to deal with dangerous dogs and a dog which mauls a child is destroyed. To make a like for like comparison we would either need to look at packs of feral dogs being protected in the same way you suggest foxes should be despite it being proven that they have entered homes and bitten/mauled young babies causing significant injuries. What do you think the authorities would do if that happened....I'm guessing it would a round up and cull.....

....or we would need to look at homes where foxes are routinely kept as pets...ahh, that doesnt happen and we can only assume it is because they do not make good pets. If someone did keep a fox as a pet and it mauled a child it would be destroyed in the same way a dog would.

You make it sound like their are packs of feral foxes attacking members of the public on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaceylacey wrote: »
    You make it sound like their are packs of feral foxes attacking members of the public on a regular basis.

No I didnt......I said

"....despite it being proven that they have entered homes and bitten/mauled young babies causing significant injuries"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are more bites from dogs than foxes.

Dogs are more dangerous than foxes.

Foxes do not need to be culled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Just been reading that a fox has bitten off a 4 week old baby boy's finger. It got into the house through a damaged back door. Baby has had mico-surgery and finger is reattached.

The story is on the DM site but I can't get it to link.

I was annoyed by the Anti fox hunting brigade phoning radio 5 claiming, (as the babies finger was being sewn back on) that it was only an alleged attack and no action should be taken against urban foxes...my pet rabbits were not to happy either when they were on the menu to the urban fox
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

I was annoyed by the Anti fox hunting brigade phoning radio 5 claiming, (as the babies finger was being sewn back on) that it was only an alleged attack and no action should be taken against urban foxes...my pet rabbits were not to happy either when they were on the menu to the urban fox
    That would be your fault for not having protected your rabbits better such that their housing was fox proof.

I've kept chickens in the past for many years and live in a rural area replete with foxes. It's not that much of a challenge.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swering your question I will pose one...if a fox and a dog are interchangable why are foxes not kept as pets in the same way dogs.

Foxes arent domesticated and are not recommended as pets. They smell and damage furniture.