Tivo overhaul

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    ^ The back-to-back recordings one I assume?

As I have already said, intermittent faults like this (that don't affect everyone all the time) can be annoyingly hard - not to mention time-consuming - to fix.

(And, just before someone wants to accuse me of "defending VM" or whatever, I back-to-back record Home and Away and Neighbours and two eps of Stargate SG1 every weekday and have never had this problem. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and everyone has the same problem!)
  • Dave_GosportDave_Gosport Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Lummo wrote: »
    Agreed! I'm in Locks Heath, which my address has me as coming under Southampton, why weren't we updated :(

I'm right by the Gosport ferry in one of the tower blocks. Small world eh lol!? Fingers crossed we'll get the update in the next few days hopefully. :D
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it this morning...
    underwhelmed to be honest. Seems a bit faster but the colours are more bland than i expected.
  • blumeblume Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware of the upgrade and thought either my TV is dying or there's some kind of virus got to the TIVO. Not too keen on the colour..seems a bit depressing seeing it's now autumn/winter.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    ^ The back-to-back recordings one I assume?

As I have already said, intermittent faults like this (that don't affect everyone all the time) can be annoyingly hard - not to mention time-consuming - to fix.

(And, just before someone wants to accuse me of "defending VM" or whatever, I back-to-back record Home and Away and Neighbours and two eps of Stargate SG1 every weekday and have never had this problem. So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and everyone has the same problem!)

Do you use padding though?
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who finds it a lot harder to read the white text on the plum background? All the text is slightly blurred, for me. DIdnt have these issues before on the old colour scheme at all?
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miyagi wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds it a lot harder to read the white text on the plum background? All the text is slightly blurred, for me. DIdnt have these issues before on the old colour scheme at all?

it is definitely a scheme that looks better on the biggest screens & not in bright light i.e it is better at night than with daylight in the room
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I thought the red scheme was garish, and this new subtle colour scheme is a bit nicer.

But I thought it was shifting away from a Flash-based interface so it was faster. It doesn't seem to have been improved at all.
    Forum Member
    Do you use padding though?
    No. Oh, okay. Is that the issue? Well okay then. Fair enough. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens :)
  • James-30James-30 Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Got the update this morning here in sunny Stevenage
  • Dave_GosportDave_Gosport Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Yay I've got the update here in Gosport! Looks good so far!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoopie, a new colour, but they STILL haven fixed the BBC I Player bug, it was even mentioned on "The Gadget Show"!!
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Whoopie, a new colour, but they STILL haven fixed the BBC I Player bug, it was even mentioned on "The Gadget Show"!!

The iplayer will be replaced with an HTML version before xmas
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated overnight

Bromley
    Grimsby
    Haringey
    Nottingham
    Portsmouth
    Swansea
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it here in welwyn garden city yesterday.

I think the colour scheme is an improvement, font looks better. It feels faster, but not amazing speed.
    Forum Member
    No. Oh, okay. Is that the issue? Well okay then. Fair enough. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens :)
    I think I saw the glitch in question. Annoying yes, but hardly worth the comments it seems to get.
  • TK421TK421 Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    My box got updated last week and I quite like it.

Looks like they have fixed the bug where it said it would delete stuff automatically in a few days then not do it. Just lost loads of recorded programs. >:(
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TK421 wrote: »
    My box got updated last week and I quite like it.

Looks like they have fixed the bug where it said it would delete stuff automatically in a few days then not do it. Just lost loads of recorded programs. >:(

Are you saying that you lost your recordings as a result of the new upgrade?:(
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it looks very good but it is still slow when you go to on demand menu.
    Then look lots of categories like retro TV box sets but the link leads to "no content available"
    You look a bit foolish when you are showing a friend the new Virgin media software.
    Do not get me wrong I like Virgin media service but the Tivo box is still slow and the latest software just replaces the spinning red circle with a spinning purple circle.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Toen wrote: »
    Yes it looks very good but it is still slow when you go to on demand menu.
    Then look lots of categories like retro TV box sets but the link leads to "no content available"
    You look a bit foolish when you are showing a friend the new Virgin media software.
    Do not get me wrong I like Virgin media service but the Tivo box is still slow and the latest software just replaces the spinning red circle with a spinning purple circle.

which box have you got?

Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Cisco 1TB
    Cisco 500GB

I have both the sammy and the cisco but both appear to be quite nippy. On demand seems to be ok? navigating can be slow when advancing to the next page. Other than that it appears to be just fine?

I quite like the new update, and eagerly anticipating the Opera App Store whenever that's due to arrive.
  • MARKIVMARKIV Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I use to have a Cisco 500gb before it broke, the replacement was a Samsung 500gb which I found was slightly quicker. Anyone else agree with that?

Still waiting for the TiVo update though here in region 03.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    MARKIV wrote: »
    I use to have a Cisco 500gb before it broke, the replacement was a Samsung 500gb which I found was slightly quicker. Anyone else agree with that?

Still waiting for the TiVo update though here in region 03.

Yes the samsung is quicker.

Im not sure if true but somewhere I read that:

Cisco tivo = same or similar spec to US Tivo Premiere
    Samsung Tivo = same or similar spec to US Tivo Roamio

can someone quash it and tell me if im right or wrong?
  • HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the samsung is quicker.

Im not sure if true but somewhere I read that:

Cisco tivo = same or similar spec to US Tivo Premiere
    Samsung Tivo = same or similar spec to US Tivo Roamio

can someone quash it and tell me if im right or wrong?

The Roamio was released about 2 years after the Samsung box so I doubt it.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Cisco 500GB. I get a lot of the spinning dots when I go to on demand. Generally I find the box slow when navigating through menus. My Humax Fox Freeview+ is like lightning in comparison.
  • jonnyjackovjonnyjackov Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there no longer a HD folder. I used that a lot, when my Tivo started filling up. I have to go to each programme now to see if its sd or hd.

A backward step surely/