Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned anyone who says that someone else's beauty "literally makes me want to kill myself" in a room of people they don't really know is incredibly socially inept. There was a fairly good chance that someone in the house would have personal experience of suicide and sure enough Jasmine got upset as her dad killed himself. And when it was pointed out to Liz she just looked blank and said "Oh I had no idea" and only apologised when after Jim had taken Jasmine to one side and tried to explain Liz's comment. Like the "stab" reference she often throws in little remarks about suicide - for example when recently asked where she thought she would be in five years time she said "dead". I think it's supposed to be an example of her famous "wit".

Well put, as always, FQ. I found this incident fascinating, as it was a rare example of Liz being forced to face up to the offence her comments cause. Usually she just dodges criticism and pretends she said something completely different, but this time she had absolutely nowhere to hide, no chance to rewrite history, and she simply *had* to listen when everyone told her she'd caused offence with her thoughtless use of inappropriate language.

When she apologised and hugged the girl she'd offended, for a brief second I thought it was quite a breakthrough. But then I remembered she was up for eviction, (i.e. relying on the viewers to save her,) and a cynical part of me wondered whether she would have been quite so apologetic and conciliatory if there was nothing in it for her!

I would have liked to see her challenged on the stabbing comment too.

Ironically, I would like to see her stay, because the more she comes up against the consequences of her own behaviour, the more she'll be forced to accept that her words cause offence. It's the perfect environment for her to learn this lesson, because she's surrounded by strong, assertive individuals who will challenge her directly when she does something horrible.

As much as I loathe this show, and pretty much everyone in it, I'm finding it really interesting. (....Although I can't for the life of me understand how that awful blond-haired chap has somehow acquired some sort of heart-throb status among the girls!) :)
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Well put, as always, FQ. I found this incident fascinating, as it was a rare example of Liz being forced to face up to the offence her comments cause. Usually she just dodges criticism and pretends she said something completely different, but this time she had absolutely nowhere to hide, no chance to rewrite history, and she simply *had* to listen when everyone told her she'd caused offence with her thoughtless use of inappropriate language.

When she apologised and hugged the girl she'd offended, for a brief second I thought it was quite a breakthrough. But then I remembered she was up for eviction, (i.e. relying on the viewers to save her,) and a cynical part of me wondered whether she would have been quite so apologetic and conciliatory if there was nothing in it for her!

I would have liked to see her challenged on the stabbing comment too.

Ironically, I would like to see her stay, because the more she comes up against the consequences of her own behaviour, the more she'll be forced to accept that her words cause offence. It's the perfect environment for her to learn this lesson, because she's surrounded by strong, assertive individuals who will challenge her directly when she does something horrible.

As much as I loathe this show, and pretty much everyone in it, I'm finding it really interesting. (....Although I can't for the life of me understand how that awful blond-haired chap has somehow acquired some sort of heart-throb status among the girls!) :)

Put it this way - the other options are Lionel, Jim or Dappy......:o
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz's 'I LITERALLY want to kill myself' line in reference to Jasmine's beauty was as shocking and tactless as it was ridiculous. This is a woman who worships at the temple of the beautiful, be it supermodels, buttery soft leather knickers or the cast of SATC and has been surrounded by the rich and beautiful throughout her fashion career. She is merely jealous of the attention in the house that Jasmine has recieved but I doubt that any woman watching that program envies that clearly troubled girl whose beauty has clearly not brought her an ounce of happiness. Liz I believe is clearly mentally ill as we have all suspected and yet I find it hard to be sympathetic. She will without doubt write about the Jasmine 'misunderstanding' at the earliest opportunity and it won't have a shred of remorse in it, just how traumatised she was that nearly everyone voted her out.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Yes, the wanting to kill herself was the oddest thing. Not for the chance that there would be someone affected by suicide as its fairly rare and not something that would necessarily enter someone's head.

The reason I found it so odd (and repulsive) was that Liz genuinely thought she had managed to come up with "nice" reasons. Which dos 2 things - 1. it makes it all about Liz again, and 2. the only impact the person she is supposed to be talking about is a connection to making Liz feel bad/suicidal, putting Liz down etc. How is that nice?

Another example is how she described being in the house with Luisa and Jasmine, she said it took her back to school and being bullied by the cool pretty girls. The thing was, she wasn't at school, Luisa and Jasmine were not bullying her in the slightest. But by likening the situation to being bullied at school she put it into my mind (for a brief time before I realised I was being manipulated) that it was like that! The pretty cool girls were intimidating and bullying Liz - poor Liz!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Afternoon Chums! I'm coming to this a bit late having been out of the country. Plaudits all round to the usual posters, bashing the nail on the noggin regarding Jonesey's social incompetence! I have one question to punt into the ether and it is this: you may have noticed, over the past several months, that LJ has a new boyfriend. A man who she has doted on for more than thirty years, A man who has moved her from a withered spinster to a five times a night bonkbuster. A man who tells/texts/writes all the livelong day about how much he loves her, how gorgeous she is, about he wants to spend the rest of his floury life with her. My question is, bearing in mind the seismic effect this has had on her life, has she mentioned him once in the last twelve days of her life? Anybody?
    Forum Member
    Afternoon Chums! I'm coming to this a bit late having been out of the country. Plaudits all round to the usual posters, bashing the nail on the noggin regarding Jonesey's social incompetence! I have one question to punt into the ether and it is this: you may have noticed, over the past several months, that LJ has a new boyfriend. A man who she has doted on for more than thirty years, A man who has moved her from a withered spinster to a five times a night bonkbuster. A man who tells/texts/writes all the livelong day about how much he loves her, how gorgeous she is, about he wants to spend the rest of his floury life with her. My question is, bearing in mind the seismic effect this has had on her life, has she mentioned him once in the last twelve days of her life? Anybody?

*tumbleweed blows across forum*

She has mentioned her dogs though - so much so that other housemates have cited it as a reason for nominating her.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member

You'd think she'd be a bit jollier than she is. Gawd knows what she was like before
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Pretty much agree with all the recent posts.
    What I can't understand is how a 55 year old woman (as someone of that sort of age) wants to " kill herself" because she is confronted with someone younger and prettier!
    That gets you in your teens, after 30 or so, you accept it and after 50 you couldn't care less and realise there are more important things.
    I agree that on BB she shows she is socially inept and can't confront, or bear to be confronted-and I don't think it is an act. But I can only guess that persona must build up one hell of a resentment inside and it can only come out in front of a keyboard. I look forward to what comes out in the columns after she comes out. Passive aggressive behaviour?
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *tumbleweed blows across forum*

She has mentioned her dogs though - so much so that other housemates have cited it as a reason for nominating her.

Ah, yes, the puppies, who are somehow still "puppies" despite being several years old! :)

Totally agree with hopelesscase's post re the bullying thing. I thought the same thing when she carefully planted in viewers' minds the idea that the younger girls were bullying her....and I bet a lot of people took that distorted version of events on board without noticing that it's a complete fabrication.

Here on this thread, we are very familiar with Liz's modus operandi (basically playing the victim at all times, and constantly pretending other people are bullying her, even when she's the one who's doing the bullying...just ask Holly, Kirstie, Clare, the jellyfish sting woman, etc etc!). But anyone who's unfamiliar with this routine might well have come away with the impression that she's a victim. And we all know how much reality show viewers love to support a brave, vulnerable victim....Oh dear.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not one single fond word! Well, nothing that's featured on the HLs or the sister show anyway.

But maybe all that Ingmar Bergman-type staring bleakly and unblinkingly into space with her mouth open passes for rapturous 'lost in bonkbusters' passion in LizWorld?
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with what has been said here. To tell someone they make you feel suicidal because they are more beautiful than you is beyond ridiculous. Regardless of Jasmines history it is a terrible thing to say anyway,not the "figure of speech" LJ supporters claim. Fancy putting yourself in competition,lookswise, with someone 25 years younger.:o

The mememe even infected her nom for Linda. The pretty blue eyes remind her of her older sister who always intimidated her yadayadaya.. so she can't live with Linda either.:p

So she hasn't mentioned D'Scrace that we have seen,but she did manage yet another dig at her sister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Ah, yes, the puppies, who are somehow still "puppies" despite being several years old! :)

Totally agree with hopelesscase's post re the bullying thing. I thought the same thing when she carefully planted in viewers' minds the idea that the younger girls were bullying her....and I bet a lot of people took that distorted version of events on board without noticing that it's a complete fabrication.

Here on this thread, we are very familiar with Liz's modus operandi (basically playing the victim at all times, and constantly pretending other people are bullying her, even when she's the one who's doing the bullying...just ask Holly, Kirstie, Clare, the jellyfish sting woman, etc etc!). But anyone who's unfamiliar with this routine might well have come away with the impression that she's a victim. And we all know how much reality show viewers love to support a brave, vulnerable victim....Oh dear.

The "jellyfish sting woman" was her bereaved sister who had lost her son. The prosecution rests.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think she'd be a bit jollier than she is. Gawd knows what she was like before

I'm convinced he's with her purely for the publicity. I don't see what he would possibly get out of their relationship otherwise, if it's even real.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sure is an oddbod.:o

Haven't ever read her columns and CBB is my first encounter with her.

I just don't 'get' people like her.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just don't 'get' people like her.:confused:

Nor me.

I think only a highly qualified mental health professional could begin to understand LJ, and maybe not even that.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how Liz has pulled the wool over the typical BB viewer's eyes. This thread is a gold mine in that respect.
  • Freckles101Freckles101 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Although Liz has been wandering around the BB house like an elderly escapee from the Home for Terminally Bewildered, struggling to hide her (hair) roots and ever increasing bald patch, and talking in a peculiar flat whine, which suggests her plastic veneers are slipping and/or she has overdone it on the Valium, there is some potential good news! At least for viewers.
    She has already been banned from the This Morning tv show as the presenters loathe her, so £1k for a 15 minute troll like rant on there is no longer an option for her. Plus, given her complete lack of social interaction and social skills on CBB, means she is very poor television material and so lousy value for money. She won't be asked to do another reality show, or any of the usual tv appearances the celebs do after CBB. So although she may have got her mega money for appearing and will write plenty of "poor me" farticles as a result, I think that the reality tv show ship has now sailed for Liz as has her fee earning potential.
    Shame, because if she went on "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here" I'd be voting for her to trials all the time. Plus IACGMOOH is far more brutal than CBB and she'd be soon held to account by the others.
    I still think it's all an act on CBB though, to present herself as a professional victim. Funny how her borderline deafness varies so much, as she can hear BB in the Diary room ok, as well as conversations she chooses to hear, even when her back is turned and people are speaking quietly. She has always been very confident on tv and radio interviews.
    Be interesting to see how long her faux romance with DScrace lasts. He clearly was bought in to take the pressure off people asking about the Fictious Rock Star. Hope he thinks dying his grey hair using Paul McCartney's visually impaired hairdresser to that strange shade of ginger is worth what she has paid him.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Liz has pulled the wool over the typical BB viewer's eyes.

It's BB. From what I see of the average fans when shown on the telly, they come across as hard of thinking at best. :D
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, given her complete lack of social interaction and social skills on CBB, means she is very poor television material and so lousy value for money. She won't be asked to do another reality show, or any of the usual tv appearances the celebs do after CBB. So although she may have got her mega money for appearing and will write plenty of "poor me" farticles as a result, I think that the reality tv show ship has now sailed for Liz as has her fee earning potential.

Nail on head time - the producers more than likely invited her to appear thinking she'd be as incendiary in person as she is behind the safety of a laptop, but what they got was someone like Great Aunt Fanny, who turns only turns up at major family events, who no-one really knows and who sits in the corner either staing vacantly into space or gibbering quietly into her port and lemon. TV gold she ain't.

The other interesting point is, how many of the other housemates clearly have either no idea who she is, or only the vaguest notion (and they were probably briefed in that).

And yes... considering we've all been (unfortunately) privvy to to every gasp, moan and thrust that's taken place between her and D'scrace of late, not mentioning him at all is... odd, even for her.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put it this way - the other options are Lionel, Jim or Dappy......:o
    Is Ollie not an option? I thought he was quite eye-candyish, every time I've seen pictures of him he's topless.
    Be interesting to see how long her faux romance with DScrace lasts. He clearly was bought in to take the pressure off people asking about the Fictious Rock Star. Hope he thinks dying his grey hair using Paul McCartney's visually impaired hairdresser to that strange shade of ginger is worth what she has paid him.:)
    :D:D

I have a mental image of DScrace wearing out his dialling finger, desperately trying to keep her safely incarcerated - this is a holiday for him! I wonder how much persuading it took...
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Liz has pulled the wool over the typical BB viewer's eyes. This thread is a gold mine in that respect.

I've never watched BB, but I know from her column that Liz always knows exactly what she's doing, ie what's expected of her so she can earn her high income. I've no quarrel with that, she's undoubtedly a clever woman, and I admire her for what she does for abused and neglected animals.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I've never watched BB, but I know from her column that Liz always knows exactly what she's doing, ie what's expected of her so she can earn her high income. I've no quarrel with that, she's undoubtedly a clever woman, and I admire her for what she does for abused and neglected animals.

I agree that what she *says* she does for abused and neglected animals is admirable. But reading between the lines of her own columns, she's not actually there with them very often. She says herself she works 'an 85 hour week' and spends many nights in the London flat, so it appears to be her assistant who actually cares for these 117 animals day-to-day. Liz is more of a collector.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    OK, am I the only one here who, after slagging Liz for a long time, now feels sorry for her and thinks she's not a horrible person? I can't hate anyone who does good work for animals.

I haven't become a fan, but I have changed my opinion of her quite a lot.
    Forum Member
    Fatsia wrote: »
    Is Ollie not an option? I thought he was quite eye-candyish, every time I've seen pictures of him he's topless.

:D:D

I have a mental image of DScrace wearing out his dialling finger, desperately trying to keep her safely incarcerated - this is a holiday for him! I wonder how much persuading it took...

I'd actually forgotten about poor Ollie! He is easy on the eye but strikes me as some one the girls are more likely to have a gossip than a bath time romp.
    Forum Member
    OK, am I the only one here who, after slagging Liz for a long time, now feels sorry for her and thinks she's not a horrible person? I can't hate anyone who does good work for animals.

I haven't become a fan, but I have changed my opinion of her quite a lot.

Wait until she comes out and is back behind the safety of her laptop. And as others have pointed out - playing the victim is her MO. As for doing good for animals - where do I start? The elderly dog she described light heartedly as "having a period" who turned out to have terminal cancer? The elderly horse she took in when the owner needed a temporary home for her who ended up dead and the owner slagged off in Liz's column (and yes I know the truth here and it wasn't Liz's version)? The "puppies" who are adult dogs who appear to be untrained much to her amusement? The time she was going to cut off her hair for a horse charity - mentioned it once in a column and never mentioned it again? Most of her time seems to be spent romping with the Baker in her London cupboard leaving the long suffering Nic to care for the menagerie anyway.