• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talbert wrote: »
    No one works in the UK

One girls gone back to live with mum and her new partner both on benefits

This country needs jobs and the people need the aspiration to work
    Agreed - doesn't help that all the activity in the Commons yesterday must have demoralised kids like these...
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Quite apropos - who's watching?

I watched , and what sad viewing it made.It made my heart ache cors what they all needed was guidance

Truly heartbreaking
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to sound incredibly cruel but why are they all smoking? **** are over £6 per packet. I lost my job in 2008 and one of the first things I done was stop smoking. And that was with a husband that worked full time.
  • Options
    anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to sound incredibly cruel but why are they all smoking? **** are over £6 per packet. I lost my job in 2008 and one of the first things I done was stop smoking. And that was with a husband that worked full time.

I agree with you why smoke when your skint? Before someone jumps in I packed in the **** 13 years ago when it became a choice between **** and food
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you why smoke when your skint? Before someone jumps in I packed in the **** 13 years ago when it became a choice between **** and food

Yep that was us, £50 a month on ****, or use it for food?

I am finally working again, but so far have only made £30 :D
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Poor Shelby :( Working 30 hours a week on a 6 month placement and only making £55- then she didn't even get a job at the end of it. It's pathetic, it's almost as if we want to destroy the aspirations of our young people.

Here we have someone working when they could just as easily sit back claiming benefits for the same amount, and all they do is exploit her for cheap labour for 6 months. It actually disgusts me.

Sad when she said she was worried about Cameron cutting housing benefits and that there's no way she could afford a child, then at the end it says she wasn't offered a job and is now 6 months pregnant. My heart really went out to her.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are probably smoking because it stops them from being hungry and because they are addicted to it. I wanted to see this programme but I fell asleep. It'll probably be repeated.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should all be sterilized.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Styles wrote: »
    They should all be sterilized.

Why? Because they are poor?
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    None of the 3 girls are really that employable, especially Bridie with a criminal record.

How many smokers start after leaving school? They don't start smoking because they are hungry.:rolleyes: Faced with spending over £4 on a pack of 20 cigarettes or on food, which is the sensible choice and going to last the longest?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Poor Shelby :( Working 30 hours a week on a 6 month placement and only making £55- then she didn't even get a job at the end of it. It's pathetic, it's almost as if we want to destroy the aspirations of our young people.

Here we have someone working when they could just as easily sit back claiming benefits for the same amount, and all they do is exploit her for cheap labour for 6 months. It actually disgusts me.

Sad when she said she was worried about Cameron cutting housing benefits and that there's no way she could afford a child, then at the end it says she wasn't offered a job and is now 6 months pregnant. My heart really went out to her.

Well said, I too found Shelby incredibly endearing.

Really nice kid who deserves a break.
    Her upbeat attitude in the face of adversity was the one shining light in this depressing programme.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I thought it was interesting although I was a bit disappointed that all the people featured came from very chaotic backgrounds. I don't think they are typical it would have been nice if there had been at least one person who had tried at school, grown up in a normal (one or 2 parent) family and was just a victim of the currrent situation. I suspect that is what it is like for the vast majority of unemployed under 25s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    None of the 3 girls are really that employable, especially Bridie with a criminal record.

How many smokers start after leaving school? They don't start smoking because they are hungry.:rolleyes: Faced with spending over £4 on a pack of 20 cigarettes or on food, which is the sensible choice and going to last the longest?

I started smoking at 17 when I was working full time.

Someone else pointed out she was only worked for £55 - she wasn't, she was getting her rent and council tax paid for her. If she worked full time on a 17yo wage she'd never afford a house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Someone else pointed out she was only worked for £55 - she wasn't, she was getting her rent and council tax paid for her. If she worked full time on a 17yo wage she'd never afford a house.

I guess the point is that if she hadn't been doing that job she would ahve been getting the same money, and still getting her rent and council tax paid. She had a positive outlook on it, although at one point she did question whether she was being ripped off, I think she saw it how it should be as a way of gaining experience that could help her get her first "proper" job. It's just unfortunate that the reality is people take advantage in these situations or else they need the work done but can't afford to pay someone proper wages and so after 6 months there's no job.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didnt watch but read two of the girls are pregnant or had babies? Predicatable and depressing, the cycle continues,,,,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smoking when ur pregnant. Both mum and pregnant daughter should be ashamed of themselves
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I told me husband about this earlier, and I was just watching some of it again, they say smoking is the only luxury - if I was in that situation on my own etc, then I'd save maybe £8 a week for a take away.

Also someone mentioned earlier in the thread smoking makes you eat less - not true - explain size 24+ smokers!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told me husband about this earlier, and I was just watching some of it again, they say smoking is the only luxury - if I was in that situation on my own etc, then I'd save maybe £8 a week for a take away.

Also someone mentioned earlier in the thread smoking makes you eat less - not true - explain size 24+ smokers!
    Pleasure from takeaway - 2hrs maybe?
    Pleasure from pack of **** - 1 **** per 15 mins, maybe? Pack of 20 = 5 hrs taken over a longer timeframe.

Over food - extremely energy-dense food is often the cheapest...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[QUOTE= http://www.npr.org/2011/06/09/137085989/the-skinny-on-smoking-why-nicotine-curbs-appetite Scientists have known for a long time that nicotine decreases appetite among smokers, but they didn't know why. A new study finds that nicotine triggers a response in certain specific brain cells known to regulate appetite.[/quote]

Who knows what size the size 24+ smokers would be if they didn't smoke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Her upbeat attitude in the face of adversity was the one shining light in this depressing programme.

So did I, I don't know how she will get on as a single mum, she seemed to have such a lonely life and no mum was mentioned.

I just feel things are going to be hard for her, at least Amber has solid family support.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was kind of disappointed when it said Shelby was pregnant at the end. I thought she had her head screwed on, but now she's got a baby and probably next to no help or any money. As someone said earlier, the cycle continues...
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotty1 wrote: »
    Who knows what size the size 24+ smokers would be if they didn't smoke.

They're probably that big because they eat cheapo icelands foods that is all modified crap which makes people put on weight also a chicken and chip meal from one of those nasty horrible fried chicken shops, helps you put on weight, cheap booze and cheap fizzy drinks are liquid fat.
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the same as you. It`s quite depressing to find out that she`s now 6 months pregnant. Of the 3 girls I thought she at least stood a chance to make something of her life, now it`s going to be even harder uphill struggle...Just extremely sad viewing.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    They are probably smoking because it stops them from being hungry and because they are addicted to it. I wanted to see this programme but I fell asleep. It'll probably be repeated.

Brilliant logic that.

they spend far more on **** to prevent themselves from being hungry than spending it on food which would actually prevent them from being hungry.

:rolleyes: