Corries Catherine criticised for donating to 'wrong' charity

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if this has been posted

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4801734/Catherine-Tyldesley-Family-Fortunes10k-to-prisoners-families.html

I honestly honestly fail to see the problem here. it's not as if she is donating to criminals so they can actually commit a crime but trying to help people who are also victims. I also find it horrible they are bringing James into this.It's just unfair and wrong imo and if she wants to donate to them she can.

Comments

• LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, how ridiculous. She won the money and she's donated it to charity.

Who are we to condemn what charity she chooses? It doesn't sit well with me that they're bringing James into matters either. If she was donating to the prisoners themselves I could easily understand the criticism, but that's not the case is it?
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of all the worthwhile charities there are, she goes and gives it to one that's for prisoners families!! I'm sure the 'do gooders' will be very pleased.

They should all be giving money to the victims of their crimes, not the other way round. Their families have probably prospered with stolen money and goods anyway. Its ridiculous.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that supporting these families and giving them support might stop the cycle of crime. Good on her for giving to a charity that probably doesn't get a lot of support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Out of all the worthwhile charities there are, she goes and gives it to one that's for prisoners families!! I'm sure the 'do gooders' will be very pleased.

They should all be giving money to the victims of their crimes, not the other way round. Their families have probably prospered with stolen money and goods anyway. Its ridiculous.

Why not go and raise some money for those charities yourself? She got the money and it is her choice and it can help people who need help and thats the main thing
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't see the problem here.:confused: good grief, so her chosen charity isn't what people would expect her to support, but its a charity all the same. its not like she pocketed the cash, so why the `twitter fury`?:rolleyes:
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except that supporting these families and giving them support might stop the cycle of crime. Good on her for giving to a charity that probably doesn't get a lot of support.
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Why not go and raise some money for those charities yourself? She got the money and it is her choice and it can help people who need help and thats the main thing

We're probably supporting them already through our taxes by paying their benefits.

I'd rather give to a prison warders charity who have to put up with these people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A prisoner commits a crime not their wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend or children. Not every criminal is a gangland style boss with jewels and big mansions and some leave their families with nothing,shunned by friends and struggling to pay the bills but i'm sure it's okay for them to suffer because of their relatives right?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more of a disgrace that some people appear to assume that the families of criminals are as guilty as the criminal.

It's up to her what charity she donates what she won to.

If she donated it to a charity which supports poorly goldfish nobody would have batted an eyelash.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

Dear oh dear. That's way too much logic and reason for DS. You really should know better :D
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    It is actually a really smart and insightful of her to support this kind of charity. Most people wouldn't support it, and this again opens discussion, and maybe a few eyes as well. The prisoners families many times may be unfairly un unjustly judged, as already seen in this thread as well.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4801734/Catherine-Tyldesley-Family-Fortunes10k-to-prisoners-families.html

I honestly honestly fail to see the problem here. it's not as if she is donating to criminals so they can actually commit a crime but trying to help people who are also victims. I also find it horrible they are bringing James into this.It's just unfair and wrong imo and if she wants to donate to them she can.

There is none, and that article is designed only to promote and feed ignorance and generate negativity. Good for her for choosing it and it sounds like a great org - http://www.outtheresfop.co.uk.

I hope the charity does speak out though because it's an opportunity for them to promote the work they do and maybe, who knows, dilute some of the apalling ignorance and prejudice that's out there, as evidenced in both that article and the twitter response.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Among those horrified after the ITV1 game show was the husband of James Bulger’s mum Denise Fergus, 45.

Stuart Fergus, 37, condemned the donation as “ill advised”. Speaking just days after the 20th anniversary of two-year-old James’s appalling murder, he insisted: “There are so many more deserving charities. What about the victims’ families?”

Are they becoming rentagobs now? Absolutely nothing to do with them.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they went through was unbelievably terrible and wish the media would leave them alone. Asking them for quotes about crimes is exploitative and just re-opens their pain.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they went through was unbelievably terrible and wish the media would leave them alone. Asking them for quotes about crimes is exploitative and just re-opens their pain.

I agree. That family still have an open wound and will never find any sort of peace if the media keeps poking at the wound to generate headlines.

With regards the OP, it's her money and she can donate to whichever charity she sees fit. What it has to to with anyone else, I really don't know.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What irrational kneejerkery! Only a true f***wit would assume the families of criminals are automatically complicit and therefore unworthy of support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a well researched and thought out quote! Well done. :rolleyes:
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read the link because it's the sun but she can donate her money to whoever she wants. What gives anybody the right to say she's wrong. I feel for Denise Fergus but this is none of her business and to try and make Catherine feel bad is bang out of order.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good God there are some morons in this world.

It's her money that she won fair and square and she is entitled to donate it to whomever she chooses. Fair play to her. It has got diddly squat to do with James Bulger or any other high profile case. FFS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a charity for prisoner's wives? Whatever next. Most of them will be dole scum anyway. Yeah, I said it.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's true charity, really. To give to people who society turns their back on and aren't your typical 'victim'.
    More so than donating to cute little sad animals with pooey bottoms.
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I think that's true charity, really. To give to people who society turns their back on and aren't your typical 'victim'.

Absolutely. Good on her for donating to them I say.
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member

They should all be giving money to the victims of their crimes, not the other way round.

Yeah, I admit I completely fail to see the woman's reasoning here. It is her money and she can support who she wants but picking the charity she has just seems bonkers to me.

I think some people are from another planet, to be honest.

(I have no idea who this person is as I don't watch Corrie, if that makes any difference when it comes to how my opinion might be taken...not that I can see how it could)
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Among those horrified after the ITV1 game show was the husband of James Bulger’s mum Denise Fergus, 45.

Stuart Fergus, 37, condemned the donation as “ill advised”. Speaking just days after the 20th anniversary of two-year-old James’s appalling murder, he insisted: “There are so many more deserving charities. What about the victims’ families?”

Are they becoming rentagobs now? Absolutely nothing to do with them.

I think that is unfair - I think they are wrong but understandably so. I can't imagine - mostly because as mum of a child only a year older than James was I don't want to think about it too much - what it's like to not only lose a child that little but lose to the vindictiveness of others and know that their last moments were full of terror and pain. I realise that Thompson and Venables acted that way because their own familiies were so disfuctional but if it was your child would you care about that - probably not.

I admire people like Gordon Wilson (father of Mari a nurse killed by the Eniskillen IRA bombing) who can see beyond the horrific destruction of their own child to try and solve the problem that caused it but appreciate that this may be beyond most people and with a very young child this may be even harder.

That said I think Catherine has done the right thing and the reaction does say a lot about public preduice - most people don't have the reasons that the Ferguses and Bulgers have to be so against it.
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    but appreciate that this may be beyond most people

the reaction does say a lot about public preduice

I don't think that's fair. I think recoiling from criminals is a much more natural reaction than the woolly liberal one.

Also, I consider myself pretty left leaning in politics but one thing I hate about the left is how some try and act like those who don't agree are below their own intelligence or are not wordly enough to understand where the more liberal view might stem from. It's the sort of attitude that makes people retreat further into any right-wing views they might have rather than getting them to see whatever light you want them to see.
  • Becki_StaffordBecki_Stafford Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Is there such a thing as a 'wrong' charity? Surely they would not allow a charity for say serial killers? I dont know, what you all think?