Options

Higher Education Interview Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
I've managed to get an interview for a job that I really, really want working at a University. However, the interview sounds like it will be really difficult and involves doing a presentation and devising an activity.

I plan to do loads of research, but also wondering if anyone on here can help please. It really would be much appreciated as this is basically my dream job.

I have to give a 10 minute presentation on:

'What do you see as the main challenges for recruitment in Higher Education today?'

I have some ideas around this about the increased tuition fees, contact hours and perceptions of value for money. I very much welcome additional suggestions though!

The other thing is:

'Devise a 15 minute activity which will engage a group of Year 9 pupils (max. of 10 in the group and all girls) and raise their awareness of the benefits of Higher Education. This activity can be a presentation, a talk, a group activity, a question and answer session, a game – or anything else you may consider appropriate. The session will be video-taped and viewed by the selection panel only.'

I really need some good ideas for the activity please as struggling at the moment!! I would appreciate it so much if the good people on DS can help me.

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't advise about content but a good PowerPoint presentation might help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks haphash, I definitely want to get a really nice looking PowerPoint presentation together to enhance it all, just hoping I can get some good content together too!
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I'm clutching at straws here but as far as the activity goes maybe you could ddo a sort of matching gme ......like matching suitable A leveels up to courses on offer and then mtching certain degrees with relevant jobs. I don't know how classrooms work these days but maybe something involving the whiteboard in matching things. Choose subjects/degrees/jobs that aren't really obvious . In my experience kids often don't always see the bigger picture when making decisions on their future and what may be useful in a chosen career. Sorry that all sounds a bit muddled but I'm sure you could do something along these lines maybe basing it on a popular TV quiz sow.

Maybe that's all a bit juvenile - I'm qualified in lower primary:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Penny Crayon, I think that's a really good idea! Definitely a good starting point. I could research popular kids quiz shows and maybe build it around that.

I'll still welcome any other suggestions on both the presentation and the activity so I've got a few ideas to work with!
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The activity could be for the group to create a social media viral campaign about H.E..

They would work in groups and need to decide on the message, the content, their audience, plan of action etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oooh lozenger I do like that idea thank you. Do you think 15 minutes would be long enough to deliver that? As they would need time to deliver their own ideas at the end.

Will maybe have to devise more than one activity and practice them to see how they pan out! This is absolutely the hardest interview I've ever had!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CyberChick wrote: »
    Thanks Penny Crayon, I think that's a really good idea! Definitely a good starting point. I could research popular kids quiz shows and maybe build it around that.

I'll still welcome any other suggestions on both the presentation and the activity so I've got a few ideas to work with!

Glad you can see some potential. I wouldn't be looking at kids shows though - year 9 kids are 13/14 ..........I'd look at shows that are popular with young adults.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh lozenger I do like that idea thank you. Do you think 15 minutes would be long enough to deliver that? As they would need time to deliver their own ideas at the end.

Will maybe have to devise more than one activity and practice them to see how they pan out! This is absolutely the hardest interview I've ever had!

Yes, they only have to plan it - it's more to get them thinking. - 12 mins discussing & planning, charting ideas, 3 min presentation of their idea (unless you split into groups, would have to shave a bit off the planning).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good point Penny Crayon, will definitely bear that in mind when looking at quizzes, thanks!

Yeah that's true Lozenger, there's only 10 of them anyway so could just have them working together. Will just need to practice timings.

You've both given me a lot to think about, appreciated! :)

Would still be grateful for anyone else's suggestions too as would be great to have a few to try out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good point Penny Crayon, will definitely bear that in mind when looking at quizzes, thanks!

Yeah that's true Lozenger, there's only 10 of them anyway so could just have them working together. Will just need to practice timings.

You've both given me a lot to think about, appreciated! :)

Would still be grateful for anyone else's suggestions too as would be great to have a few to try out.

Ooooooh I'm getting pretty excited - will there be a buzzer round? Fastest finger first? The dove from above and scores on the doors and all that?:D
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the job? Might help to know a bit more about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooooooh I'm getting pretty excited - will there be a buzzer round? Fastest finger first? The dove from above and scores on the doors and all that?:D

Ha ha, a buzzer round would be awesome but not sure how I'd work that in reality! What's going around my head most at the moment is an 8 out 10 Cats type thing with statistics, but also linked in to them thinking about and matching their options. But I'm not funny at all so might fall flat and be boring :o

Nothing clear yet and got loads of work to do but my brain is ticking over! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's the job? Might help to know a bit more about it

Little Nell the job is Schools & Colleges Liaison so will involve working with schools and colleges to promote HE and introduce students to progression routes.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Little Nell the job is Schools & Colleges Liaison so will involve working with schools and colleges to promote HE and introduce students to progression routes.

What type of university is it - pre -1992 or post?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    What type of university is it - pre -1992 or post?

It's pre 1992, so has always been a university, not a previous polytechnic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so your job would involve 'selling' HE to schools, colleges & their pupils/students. Here's a few thoughts -

Challenges for recruitment - you may want to include something about potential students' views on the debt they'll incur and how to persuade them it's worthwhile, especially if they haven't got well-off parents. And how to make links with your particular university as opposed to other local ones?

The group task - yr 9 pupils will be about to choose their GCSEs which is pretty significant for their future career / HE options. I noticed the task is for a group of girls so you need to focus on this when looking at the benefits of HE. What are the barriers for girls in particular and how can you use this in devising an activity?

Finally, if I were involved in your interview I'd expect the activity you come up with to be underpinned by a sound knowledge of the curriculum, and possibly current teaching methods as well since in the job, any liaison activities with school pupils will probably need this awareness. Can you pick someone's brains about this? The activity is only a 15 minute one so you need to hit the ground running. You need something that will interest them but that will also meet the requirements you've been given.

Sorry, this is all probably a bit obvious - hope it helps. Good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Little Nell, not all obvious at all. Once again it's given me a lot to think about, especially in relation to awareness of the curriculum and teaching methods. I don't really have anyone's brains I can pick about this unfortunately so will have to rely on research. Thanks for the luck as well :)

I understand why they are asking for this level of stuff at the interview but just so scared that I can't live up to it! :o
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    not sure what I can add, but year 9 is options year, where pupils choose the mix of subjects they will take for gcse's.

Can you use a quiz of what mixes will get to interesting careers, for example one I tried to promote....if you are good at chemistry and art, - an unusual mix- then special effects is a good career path.

In terms of HE, one of the biggest issues, is how to get pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds to consider HE.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoid it like the plague. Most people I've met working in academia (in 3 universities) are pretty clueless, getting away with the kind of stuff that would not be tolerated in a professional environment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't disagree more with Mumof3, but that's not the point of the post so I'm not going to start an argument.

Excellent point about pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds - saying Yr 9 pupils (all girls) is one thing but being clear about what their backgrounds might be is another. Maybe you need to decide, and make it clear somehow.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've managed to get an interview for a job that I really, really want working at a University. However, the interview sounds like it will be really difficult and involves doing a presentation and devising an activity.

I plan to do loads of research, but also wondering if anyone on here can help please. It really would be much appreciated as this is basically my dream job.

I have to give a 10 minute presentation on:

'What do you see as the main challenges for recruitment in Higher Education today?'

I have some ideas around this about the increased tuition fees, contact hours and perceptions of value for money. I very much welcome additional suggestions though!

The other thing is:

'Devise a 15 minute activity which will engage a group of Year 9 pupils (max. of 10 in the group and all girls) and raise their awareness of the benefits of Higher Education. This activity can be a presentation, a talk, a group activity, a question and answer session, a game – or anything else you may consider appropriate. The session will be video-taped and viewed by the selection panel only.'

I really need some good ideas for the activity please as struggling at the moment!! I would appreciate it so much if the good people on DS can help me.

When I have taken yr9's to a uni visit the things that impressed them the most were speaking to existing students and seeing the halls of residence so my activity would be a tour around campus, perhaps if you want it interactive make it a treasure hunt or fact finding mission.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strongly recommend not conducting a treasure hunt for 13-14yr olds. They'll be more interested in where they can hang out and make toast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can a 15 minute activity be a tour round the campus?
  • Options
    Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont you just love presentations. Having to stand in front of a group of people you dont know whilst you stumble over the words and loose your head. Good Luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I went to quite a disadvantaged school and I remember people coming in and trying to convince us that college/university was a good idea. So maybe for your challenges question you could also look at encouraging kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who hadn't previously thought about higher education that continuing in education is a real option for them.

In terms of the activity how about looking at the current local job market in the area you live and looking at the industries that are growing and have demand and then at what college and uni courses they could do to get into those growing markets.