Options

Big Kahuna Bundles

Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
Forum Member
Has anyone phoned up to ask about the new "Big Kahuna Bundle"?

Online Virgin Media only advertise one bundle and ask for you to phone them to enquire, which having only discovered this in the last hour I haven't had the chance to do and won't for a few days.

Having TiVo, XL TV, Sky Sports, 30mb broadband, talk weekends and 2 sim only mobile accounts with Virgin I'd be interested to know what was on offer as my loyalty discounts are about to end.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would pay £45 plus the cost of the sports pack and get your broadband upgraded to 150 meg, you would also get (if you wanted it) a £5 per month sim that would have to be on a new number, so,

I got the pack on Tuesday as it was exactly what I already had except I was paying £65

Line rental is not included in the price
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not clear to me if Virgin Media are actually informing existing customers that they have first dibs at the new packages.

Does anyone know?
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have.
    and yes they are "telling" customers but only on the website as far as i know so far...
    however, on the website they describe 2 of their "packages" as "the big one" and "the big kh" (see how their marketing team works)... so i expect the others will be "throbbing" and actually i am not even going to go there...

you have to ring the 0800 then ask for details...

i switched to the kh one... you pay for the install if you dont already have a tivo, and the contract extends for a min period as usual
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just tried to switch to it.

We currently have up to 152MB, TV XL with TiVo and Phone XL for @ £60.

So the BK looked the same but cheaper at £45.

Spoke to a girl who quoted the £45 but switching would have meant paying for an old V+ box that is currently free and not used.

But to remove the second box I got put through to sales who didn't have the £45 bundle on their system. Just BK including Sky Sport, Sky Movies, or both.

Has anyone been able to get the BK for £45?

Also am I right in thinking one of the new bundles is:

Up to 100MB
    TV XL
    Phone XL

For £30?

Which sounds almost too good to be true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I just tried to switch to it.

We currently have up to 152MB, TV XL with TiVo and Phone XL for @ £60.

So the BK looked the same but cheaper at £45.

Spoke to a girl who quoted the £45 but switching would have meant paying for an old V+ box that is currently free and not used.

But to remove the second box I got put through to sales who didn't have the £45 bundle on their system. Just BK including Sky Sport, Sky Movies, or both.

Has anyone been able to get the BK for £45?

Also am I right in thinking one of the new bundles is:

Up to 100MB
    TV XL
    Phone XL

For £30?

Which sounds almost too good to be true.

The TV is M+ on that bundle, also I got the BK for £45 you have to phone sales not 150
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - it did sound too good for £30.

I rang the 0800 number initially - it was only when I got through to sales he couldn't see the £45 one.

I'll try again tomorrow - do you know the number to get straight through to sales?
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big KH bundle isn't that great when you look at it.
    Yes it has a fantastic BB speed, but Its M+ TV, not XL, and it's weekend calls only so no free phone calls in the week.
    £60 is a good price, but not a great one for what you are getting.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    The Big KH bundle isn't that great when you look at it.
    Yes it has a fantastic BB speed, but Its M+ TV, not XL, and it's weekend calls only so no free phone calls in the week.
    £60 is a good price, but not a great one for what you are getting.

You've got it wrong, the Big Kahuna is TV XL, it's the Big Bang that only has TV M+.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9428/virgin-media-goes-big-with-uks-first-true-quad-play-bundles
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    You've got it wrong, the Big Kahuna is TV XL, it's the Big Bang that only has TV M+.

http://about.virginmedia.com/press-release/9428/virgin-media-goes-big-with-uks-first-true-quad-play-bundles

I stand corrected, you are right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I can tell at £45 it's £14 cheaper than we're currently paying.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I can tell at £45 it's £14 cheaper than we're currently paying.

Those prices are not inclusive of the £15.99p/m line rental so £30 would infact be £45.99 and £45 would be £60.99.
    The first Big Bundles are:

Big Kahuna - £45 per month or £50 with mobile SIM
    Big Bang - £30 per month or £35 with mobile SIM

Prices are for 18 month contracts, payable by Direct Debit, with paperless billing, and excluding line rental of £15.99 a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup - we're currently paying £85 in total, give or take.

So £59 for the BK equivalent, plus £16 line rental, plus £8 for phone XL, plus £2 for 08 calls.

So in theory that should go down to £71 - 45+16+8+2.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm I am wondering if the big bang bundle would be better value for me. Apart from the line rental, are there any other 'hidden' costs? Like on the TV side is the Tivo fee included? What about if you have a second box? In my case I have Tivo and V+.

At the moment I am on XL TV with Tivo & V+, M Phone and L BB for £39pm excluding line rental. As I'm currently watching more streaming than live tv the XL TV really isn't being used to the fullest, I wonder if I would be better on the Big Bang bundle?

Thing is I can't really say I need more than 50mb broadband either so I'm probably paying for more than I need but I doubt you could put together a cheaper set up with 50mb bb anyway....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    hmm I am wondering if the big bang bundle would be better value for me. Apart from the line rental, are there any other 'hidden' costs? Like on the TV side is the Tivo fee included? What about if you have a second box? In my case I have Tivo and V+.

At the moment I am on XL TV with Tivo & V+, M Phone and L BB for £39pm excluding line rental. As I'm currently watching more streaming than live tv the XL TV really isn't being used to the fullest, I wonder if I would be better on the Big Bang bundle?

Thing is I can't really say I need more than 50mb broadband either so I'm probably paying for more than I need but I doubt you could put together a cheaper set up with 50mb bb anyway....

I would imagine there would be a multiroom charge for the 2nd box, so probably £5 more, you can always phone and see what they quote you, my next door neighbours got the BK bundle with an extra V+ box for £47
  • Options
    IiandrwhiteIiandrwhite Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Phoned to see what they could do, was told that as I was already on top tier for TV, Bb and Landline only thing they could do was a cheap SIm.

So , an only for new customers deal again! Guess it was too good to be real for us loyal Virgin customers
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rang this morning and asked about big Kahuna. I have a deal already with 60 Mb Broadband TV XL and phone XL with extra V+ box. They quoted me £79 for big Kahuna with V+ box and phone XL. I said no....they put me through to sales.

I ended up with 100MB Broadband XL TV and phone m keeping my V+ box for £59. Thats about £14 less than I was paying so I took it, 1 year contract 18month offer.

I hardly use the phone so I am happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoned to see what they could do, was told that as I was already on top tier for TV, Bb and Landline only thing they could do was a cheap SIm.

So , an only for new customers deal again! Guess it was too good to be real for us loyal Virgin customers

It definitely isn't a new customer only deal though - in fact they're currently only available for existing customers.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an e-mail saying it would be £53 for the BK? Everywhere else says £45
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that with Phone XL? That's £8?

Just tried again, but they don't seem to be able to put through the BK deal for £45 without Sky Sports or Movies.

At one point she tried to tell me it was a telesales offer that was half price for six months.

Which it obviously isn't unless Virgin are trying to tempt us into paying £31 more, for less.
  • Options
    Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member

Just tried again, but they don't seem to be able to put through the BK deal for £45 without Sky Sports or Movies.

I took the offer this afternoon... not sure why I need a new hub when pretty sure I have the top one anyway, but did get installation for £5.99 so wasn't going to argue.

I do have Sky Sports however, but you're able to dip in and out of that after 30 days.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have signed up for the big bang bundle today. It meant losing the second box (V+) and dropping to M+ on TV but I really don't think I will mind too much as I have found the Tivo has been getting less and less use lately due to me streaming more TV than I record/view live now and most of what was watched on the V+ was the same as what is available on Freeview anyway....

The 100mb bb won't be any real benefit as the 50mb was already plenty fast for me though the better usage allowance before traffic management might give a more consistent level of performance and I guess having most things download in seconds will be kind of nice.

One inconsistency though, the guy I spoke to said the phone was just the basic phone package on the big bang with free weekend calls i.e. phone m, but I'm sure I read it is supposed to be phone XL, which is the unlimited plan?

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what it says in my Virgin Media when it updates with the changes. Phone XL would be nice but not a deal breaker as I was only on M anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eventually got it all sorted by trying the retentions route - got it down from £101.76 to £84.98. with the 1TB box we have, still keeping the second box, and put on to the 152MB today.

So pretty happy with that in the end.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that with Phone XL? That's £8?

Just checked - the e-mail does say unlimited calls.

Does that mean the BK £45 only comes with Talk Weekends as standard - the lowest?

I want to keep my Talk Anytime 200 so assume that BK would be £55 as Talk 200 is £10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The page on their site is pushing the BK, and just quotes the basic weekend calls:

The Big Kahuna.

If you have an email then try getting through to retentions to sort it out - they seem to be a bit more on the ball with the new bundles.

With us, they were fine about us having the 1TB Tivo when its supposed to be the 500GB one.
  • Options
    Paul147Paul147 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Received my invite to switch to big kh saving £15pm. The 0800 number couldn't help as I mentioned Netflix! Put through to call centre who hadn't heard of the deal. Put through to retentions and finally received big kh with extra vhd box and 6 months Netflix for £75pm. Half hour call but happy.
    :)