Options

Sick of the sob stories

TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
Forum Member
Seeing as negativity in the thread about Simon's latest appearance in the press is frowned upon, I will say this here... I am sick and tired of him wheeling out sob stories after appearing in the dance off!

After beating Thom by the skin of his teeth he suddenly decided to tell the press about his battles with 'chronic depression', and now after beating Pixie in another 2/2 vote, he is apparently upset because he fears a public backlash. I see he also managed to get in that the Head Judge wanted him to stay and that now he can't let Len down. Sure there have been some nasty comments, but no more than others have had during the series - and he has had lots of support as well.

For whatever reason Simon isn't getting that many votes but I wish he would stop his 'poor me' routine as I would respect him a lot more then. Sunetra did 3 dance-offs as well and she took it all on the chin, because its part of the show and she accepted that. At the end of the day, he has twice scraped through a very close dance-off, giving him another chance to enjoy the Strictly experience and try to win over a few more fans - something that Thom and Pixie didn't get. Its a shame if people blame him, totally unfairly, for their exits, but I wish he would let his dancing do the talking. Personally I hate this X Factor style thing of telling the world about all your personal woes to try and get more votes and think it adds a rather unpleasant tone to what should be a feel-good, family show and not one where people feel sorry for a contestant because they've had some bad luck in life. I also hated his previous comments that Strictly had given him a reason to get out of bed, which I thought was rather disrespectful to his daughter and the fans who paid to see him on tour with Blue.

Don't expect many to agree with any of this but its my opinion and I stand by it!

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand by it as you wish, but remember others have let us know about their issues too....I'll avoid singling anyone out, it may expose me to calls of weak argument, but I too stand by it anyway.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Simon.....so there.:p

Actually I like all of them and don't want anyone to go.
    So shoot me now. :D
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    which paper is this all happening in? i seem to have missed it, therefore it is the dancing that is doing the talking for me.

and it says : best male in the competition.

(but shouldn't have stayed in over pixie)
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon mate, please stop doing that annoying 'phone' gesture. It'll get you some more votes. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/06/most-irritating-hand-gestures_n_1653271.html
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I really like Simon.....so there.:p

Actually I like all of them and don't want anyone to go.
    So shoot me now. :D

<<<<<<BANG!>>>>>>>

I like them all too :)
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Simon mate, please stop doing that annoying 'phone' gesture. It'll get you some more votes. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/06/most-irritating-hand-gestures_n_1653271.html

Lol, I feel like tweeting the article to him.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <<<<<<BANG!>>>>>>>

I like them all too :)

Ouch..........that hurt. :D
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Simon :)
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    I like Simon :)

Let's face it; he's ghastly.
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'Ghastly'? Why?? That's not a nice phrase to use about anybody. Are you referring to him as a person or his dancing? In either case the phrase is not called for :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon seems like a lovely and fun guy. He's my favourite! :)

He's far from being ghastly.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »

Gestural language is hardwired from birth as part of our linguistic brain!!! Deaf children who are diagnosed early and taught to sign can tell their parents 'milk' (for example) at an age when hearing infants (who don't sign) are still screaming themselves (and us) silly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's time to do a John Sergeant and walk. The best dancer was eliminated and he's still here, time to go.

But the backlash should be intensely focused on mad man Len, and hungry for guns Darcy. How will they ever learn if they're not punished for their mistakes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's time to do a John Sergeant and walk. The best dancer was eliminated and he's still here, time to go.

But the backlash should be intensely focused on mad man Len, and hungry for guns Darcy. How will they ever learn if they're not punished for their mistakes?

Lovely as he was, John Sergeant couldn't dance especially well. Simon is (to my mind) the best male dancer in the competition. (I'd go further but stopping here is more consensual.) Why should Simon, and not, say, Jake or Caroline, walk? Not everyone would agree that Pixie was best in any case. She might have been most perfect but (again, personal opinion) perfection isn't the most essential element in dance...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opinion that Pixie is the best dancer is subjective. Not everyone thought that she was the best, which might be, part of the reason why she was in the bottom two. For me, Pixie could dance but I haven't loved any of her performances.

Also, why would Simon walk, after 12 weeks of hard work?! It's a preposterous suggestion.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    After beating Thom by the skin of his teeth he suddenly decided to tell the press about his battles with 'chronic depression', and now after beating Pixie in another 2/2 vote, he is apparently upset because he fears a public backlash.

I doubt he "decided" to tell the media anything at all. Once you're a Strictly contestant, you're more or less obliged to do lots of press in order to promote the show, and if the journalist asked a direct question about his past/background/childhood etc then whatever answer he gives will be suitably sensationalised by the paper or website in question.
    The trick is to avoid those papers and articles. It's quite easy if you want to.
  • Options
    foxyredfoxyred Posts: 15,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know about his depression, just read about it. Awww I'm glad he's finding happiness again and that dancing has helped.

Love him even more now bless him :)
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I doubt he "decided" to tell the media anything at all. Once you're a Strictly contestant, you're more or less obliged to do lots of press in order to promote the show, and if the journalist asked a direct question about his past/background/childhood etc then whatever answer he gives will be suitably sensationalised by the paper or website in question.
    The trick is to avoid those papers and articles. It's quite easy if you want to.

I haven't encountered anything like that from the other contestants, though. And to be honest, if he wanted to keep stuff like that private, he would have done. But had he done that, maybe he'd have got even less votes and been eliminated weeks ago... who knows?

Ghastly is going too far though, granted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't encountered anything like that from the other contestants, though. And to be honest, if he wanted to keep stuff like that private, he would have done. But had he done that, maybe he'd have got even less votes and been eliminated weeks ago... who knows?

Ghastly is going too far though, granted.

Did you notice the long-running Ola is a bully story? Utterly groundless, as it turns out. Tabloid journalists are vermin... no offence to vermin
  • Options
    Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as negativity in the thread about Simon's latest appearance in the press is frowned upon, I will say this here... I am sick and tired of him wheeling out sob stories after appearing in the dance off!

After beating Thom by the skin of his teeth he suddenly decided to tell the press about his battles with 'chronic depression', and now after beating Pixie in another 2/2 vote, he is apparently upset because he fears a public backlash. I see he also managed to get in that the Head Judge wanted him to stay and that now he can't let Len down. Sure there have been some nasty comments, but no more than others have had during the series - and he has had lots of support as well.

For whatever reason Simon isn't getting that many votes but I wish he would stop his 'poor me' routine as I would respect him a lot more then. Sunetra did 3 dance-offs as well and she took it all on the chin, because its part of the show and she accepted that. At the end of the day, he has twice scraped through a very close dance-off, giving him another chance to enjoy the Strictly experience and try to win over a few more fans - something that Thom and Pixie didn't get. Its a shame if people blame him, totally unfairly, for their exits, but I wish he would let his dancing do the talking. Personally I hate this X Factor style thing of telling the world about all your personal woes to try and get more votes and think it adds a rather unpleasant tone to what should be a feel-good, family show and not one where people feel sorry for a contestant because they've had some bad luck in life. I also hated his previous comments that Strictly had given him a reason to get out of bed, which I thought was rather disrespectful to his daughter and the fans who paid to see him on tour with Blue.

Don't expect many to agree with any of this but its my opinion and I stand by it!

BIB: You clearly don't understand depression. Most people with depression have people who love them dearly and that they love dearly. Depression is not that simple.

Something like dancing on Strictly releases lots of "feel-good" hormones that will act as natural anti-depressants. If Simon has said he has depression (I am completely unaware of this "sob-story" for him, so it's not reaching as many people as you seem to think) then I hope he is getting support not only for after the show ends but also to help cope with some of the nasty stuff that is being said about him on the internet, which according to a thread on here, includes racism (something, I think, other contestants haven't had to contend with).
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Objectively, I think this is a ridiculous adjective. I'd like to see you justify it.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look whilst not as vociferous as the OP, I do get a bit tired of the tactics used by a couple of celebs every year. These include

Sob story of chronic ailment, and I am NOT putting down anyone's problems be they anything from depression to childhood issues.

Wheeling out aged relatives.

Wheeling out cute children, their own or others belonging to relatives/friends, I sometimes feel this closeness to non immediate family is rather convenient to gain sympathy or popularity.

Close friendship with other celebrities

I'm not saying these things are not real or that they are not important to the competitor, but I don't want it splashed over my tv screen every Saturday night.

I can never get away from thinking it takes away from what is in name a dance competition.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Look whilst not as vociferous as the OP, I do get a bit tired of the tactics used by a couple of celebs every year. These include

Sob story of chronic ailment, and I am NOT putting down anyone's problems be they anything from depression to childhood issues.

Wheeling out cute children, their own or others belonging to relatives/friends, I sometimes feel this closeness to non immediate family is rather convenient to gain sympathy or popularity.

I'm not saying these things are not real or that they are not important to the competitor, but I don't want it splashed over my tv screen every Saturday night.

I can never get away from thinking it takes away from what is in name a dance competition.

Quite.

Isn't all this supposed to be fun and escapism at the end of the day? I can look back fondly to the earlier series, before the rot set in a few years ago and the show started disappearing up its own posterior, and trying to copy Cowell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member

Close friendship with other celebrities.

All very true. But should we blame the celebs or the producers? My suspicion would be the celebs have as little control over those VT segments as they have over the "I went to a funfair and it has really helped my Viennese waltz" type ones.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Blame the producers. It is they who look for ways to use anything which might cast the celeb in a good light (especially when they are not getting votes). They have the power. Don't ever assume those who take part have much say on this. Ditto the vile, stupid videos - and the music and some the choreography.