Options

Conservatives hint at another BBC license fee freeze

Comments

• Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get rid of the Tories down with their nonsense!

Just doing this to please their rich pals again because its considered a form of tax!

It will make no difference to government budgets if its raised by inflation, even raising it to £150 a year wont hurt the majority of people but it would do wonders to BBC budgets!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuts in the numbers and salaries of senior managers, not to mention reducing the number of staff who go to events like Glastonbury and economy travel for all BBC employees regardless of rank should do the trick.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Cuts in the numbers and salaries of senior managers, not to mention reducing the number of staff who go to events like Glastonbury and economy travel for all BBC employees regardless of rank should do the trick.

But all bbc staff of whatever grade have the same travel policy ....... Economy except in long flights if they are required to work "if the plane"
    See http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/foi/classes/policies_procedures/bbc_expenses_policy.pdf
    And not that it says can you use video conferencing !

Also as was discovered by the commons public accounts committee ... The bbc has reduced the number of senior managers ... And as for pay ..... Tony hall gets paid abiut 2/3 what david Abraham at ch4 gets ( a publically owned compny) and about a 16th of what CEO a of ITV gets...

But we need to work out what we need the bbc to do and fund it properly ....
    And a minute of BBC program being cost less than a minute of ITV
    . So they cannot be that inefficient ....
    About only 2/3 of the LF related income is used for tv ...
    The bbc does a lot lot more than television .
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a no from me. I supported the last licence fee freeze. But another one would be going too far. Cap the licence fee at inflation, but no more real terms cuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Its a no from me. I supported the last licence fee freeze. But another one would be going too far. Cap the licence fee at inflation, but no more real terms cuts.

As we have 0% inflation it would effectively be frozen in any case !
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We all know that The Nasty Party is anti-State and want to destroy it. Right-To-Buy, Licence Fee freeze (until Charter Renewal), Benefit freezes are all about destroying the State. Regardless of the banking crisis of 2008, the terrible tories would have pursued the same policies during the last five years.

The answer...vote tactically on May 7th and don't vote right-wing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As we have 0% inflation it would effectively be frozen in any case !

Well then increase it to what it would have been if it had increased at inflation since it was last frozen.
    It would likely be something like £5-£10 more. Then increase it by inflation each year and allow the BBC to benefit from that per inflation increase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    We all know that The Nasty Party is anti-State and want to destroy it. Right-To-Buy, Licence Fee freeze (until Charter Renewal), Benefit freezes are all about destroying the State. Regardless of the banking crisis of 2008, the terrible tories would have pursued the same policies during the last five years.

The answer...vote tactically on May 7th and don't vote right-wing.

Agreed
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives may as well give up trying to stay in Downing Street. Nobody votes for a coward like Cameron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives may as well give up trying to stay in Downing Street. Nobody votes for a coward like Cameron.

The Tories were 6% ahead in a poll today !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But that depends where you look. There's a lot of political bias around.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully it keeps going up then. Not sure how Labour backers can suggest not to freeze when the working class are already being stretched with living costs and needing food banks! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it keeps going up then. Not sure how Labour backers can suggest not to freeze when the working class are already being stretched with living costs and needing food banks! :o

I back Labour precisely because they care about the working class. The Conservatives only care about the rich, which isn't right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I back Labour precisely because they care about the working class. The Conservatives only care about the rich, which isn't right.

Rail fare freezes for 5 years, license fee freezes and tax free minimum wage helps working class. Conservatives will deliver this. Labour can't they use to be working class not anymore.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Rail fare freezes for 5 years, license fee freezes and tax free minimum wage helps working class. Conservatives will deliver this. Labour can't they use to be working class not anymore.

How about the Tory policy of sacntioning housing benefit if the part time don't work enough hours? Does that help the working class?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    How about the Tory policy of sacntioning housing benefit if the part time don't work enough hours? Does that help the working class?

Well there's more jobs than ever, unemployment is a record low. Many of my friends were out of work and found a job fairly quickly unlike the 2008 Labour recession. Plus I still see loads on benefits around here they get all the housing association houses so it can't be that bad can it?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a great joke, funniest thing I've heard all day
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Well there's more jobs than ever, unemployment is a record low. Many of my friends were out of work and found a job fairly quickly unlike the 2008 Labour recession. Plus I still see loads on benefits around here they get all the housing association houses so it can't be that bad can it?

I wouldn't swallow the official line if i were you!

Sanctioned job seekers are not counted as "claimants" and a lot of people in jobs claim benefit, because they don't have any guarentee of work on a daily basis.

A lot of steps have been taken to make it look as though people have "jobs", but they are not always "jobs" in the perceived sense.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. However, rumours are rife that VAT will rise to 22% under the Tories: but the extra 2% will be used entirely to fund the 8bn promised to the NHS. Now, if it means I have to pay an extra tenner on a telly or big purchases, or an extra 40p on a packet of chocolate biscuits in order to get a a well funded NHS, then I'm happy to pay the extra! But of course, this isn't the right thread to discuss it in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But isn't that the whole point of life? To be encouraged to go out and fund your own life rather than relying on the Government to do it for you? If you don't work enough, get a cleaning job. That's what I have to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't swallow the official line if i were you!

Sanctioned job seekers are not counted as "claimants" and a lot of people in jobs claim benefit, because they don't have any guarentee of work on a daily basis.

A lot of steps have been taken to make it look as though people have "jobs", but they are not always "jobs" in the perceived sense.

What? Like what Labour did when they created 100,000 civil service jobs that weren't afforded into the the budget, nor warranted, just to claim they got unemployment down? All parties have their systems and fixes, the Labour Party are no different to The Tories when it comes to spin.

Talking of which, why hasn't the BBC picked up on a huge Labour poster that proudly claimed: "Labour: Putting Black and Asian Families First".?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No-one is going to vote for an Eton posh-boy who doesn't know the price of a pint of milk. He is patronising, condescending and totally out of touch. We need real people from the real world in Parliament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which Tory paper was this spin published then?

The more I see of Red Ed, the more I like him. His Manifesto Launch speech yesterday was really good. He actually engaged me as a viewer. Doesn't happen very often with our politicians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am anti any cut which impacts negatively on our public services. The BBC, NHS, public transport, local government, schools all need to be funded well. Good services cost money. Cuts are never the answer. It is a boooooooooooooooooo from me I'm afraid.