Options

where's Boris ?

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
Boris Johnston is conspicuous by his absence. Surprising as he is a contemporary Tory politician who has won high profile elections outright.

Comments

• Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    David Cameron has already said that this next term as PM will be his last
    Boris is the obvious successor
    Boris will be up against David Miliband who is also waiting in the wings

This will be a very exciting time in UK politics.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Boris Johnston is conspicuous by his absence. Surprising as he is a contemporary Tory politician who has won high profile elections outright.

Out campaigning.

DURSLEY was taken by surprise today when Boris Johnson took a stroll down the high street in the lead up to the General Election.

The mayor of London took to Parsonage Street in support of prospective MP Neil Carmichael’s campaign for re-election in the Stroud district.

After visiting several shops and handing out flyers for Mr Carmichael’s campaign Boris described Dursley as a “lovely town” and said he was embarrassed he hadn’t been here more often.

The floppy haired politician arrived at Sainsbury’s in Castle Street at around midday and immediately asked Mr Carmichael if they “were going sheep shearing”, a reference to a previous visit to Lister Shearing when it was still based at the bottom of Long Street.

After this he took to Parsonage Street followed by a crowd of supporters and popped into various shops including the Cotswold Care Hospice charity shop, butchers J Broomhall Ltd and hardware store Durcan’s.

Boris said: “Dursley is a lovely town – I’m embarrassed that I haven’t been here more often in the past.”

Speaking on what the Conservative Party could do to help out high streets like the one in Dursley, he said: “We are really trying to support people who are employed in small businesses and are doing that through review of business rates and offering business rate relief.

“Areas like this have a high potential for growth and if we don’t do anything about their struggle we will bitterly mourn the loss of the high street.”

Boris also touched on an issue close to many people’s hearts in the area – the preservation of countryside against the onslaught of major developments.

“The Conservatives want to build 200,000 more homes but we want to do that on brownfield sites,” he said.

“If we don't make developers build on brownfield land they’re just going to take advantage of our countryside.”

After paying a visit to Dursley Heritage Centre and taking a look at the restored Pedersen bicycle the blonde-haired mayor was whisked away in a car, pumping his fist and shouting “three more weeks” out the passenger side window as he left.

Mr Carmichael was delighted with Boris’ visit and said: “The main message today is about the success of the Conservative’s long-term economic plan which is underpinned by Festomane.”
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how prominent Boris has been In the Uxbridge & South Ruislip constituency he's standing in.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »

I would think Yvette Cooper or Chuka Umunna are more likely to lead Labour if Ed fails Why is there all this love of David Miliband anyway, sure he's better than Ed but so is every other candidate to replace him (well maybe apart from the Balls). I personally don't think it would be wise to have him be the leader right after his brother, imagine the Tory press and the headlines "Labour - The Miliband Family Dictatorship - Plan to overthrow Royal Family!" I mean as ridiculous as it sounds, it would probably happen!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is not being reported on much certainly.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    I would think Yvette Cooper or Chuka Umunna are more likely to lead Labour if Ed fails Why is there all this love of David Miliband anyway, sure he's better than Ed but so is every other candidate to replace him (well maybe apart from the Balls). I personally don't think it would be wise to have him be the leader right after his brother, imagine the Tory press and the headlines "Labour - The Miliband Family Dictatorship - Plan to overthrow Royal Family!" I mean as ridiculous as it sounds, it would probably happen!

David Miliband is popular because our glorious press have decided only Tories and Blairites have the right to rule over us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    David Miliband is popular because our glorious press have decided only Tories and Blairites have the right to rule over us.

David Miliband is popular in my opinion because

1. The British people don't want a left wing government (the last one was more than 40 years ago)
    2. David is associated with the successes of the Blair years rather than the disaster of the Brown years
    3. He has personality and style and is someone that people can vote for - he can win elections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Yes he is, but he is out campaigning like his fellow Conservatives. We haven't heard much about many M.P.s since the recess started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

1. The British people don't want a left wing government (the last one was more than 40 years ago)
    2. David is associated with the successes of the Blair years rather than the disaster of the Brown years
    3. He has personality and style and is someone that people can vote for - he can win elections.

Not a fan of his but I agree with your summary of him.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Yes he is, but he is out campaigning like his fellow Conservatives. We haven't heard much about many M.P.s since the recess started.

To be fair he is a lot more high profile than most. He's good for rent a quote but I have seen practically nothing from him on the news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair he is a lot more high profile than most. He's good for rent a quote but I have seen practically nothing from him on the news.

In my opinion he's being clever
    Just like David Miliband
    Keeping his head down and waiting for the right moment

Then we will have 2 white knights on charging steeds
    I hope it happens.
    2 really exciting leaders to choose from in 2020

That will have the additional benefit of wiping out all these fringe minority parties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good that you've spoken for the British people on what they want and do not want....aren't you from Australia btw?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's just be grateful for small mercies.
  • Options
    Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member

I saw Boris in Ealing a week ago. I am not happy that our current London Mayor has
    so much time in hand to go around campaigning for his party.

If you're wanting David Miliband to lead Labour, you are going to have to wait a very long time.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I just had an email from "Boris Johnson", endorsing David Cameron, linking to a video of a PEB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good that you've spoken for the British people on what they want and do not want....aren't you from Australia btw?

Hey I'm not speaking for the British people. They speak for themselves

Ask yourself the question. When was the last time the British people elected a left wing government?

You do the maths.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I wonder how prominent Boris has been In the Uxbridge & South Ruislip constituency he's standing in.

Has he even worked out where it is yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I'm not speaking for the British people. They speak for themselves

Ask yourself the question. When was the last time the British people elected a left wing government?

You do the maths.

You.should,rephrase when were the British people allowed to elect a left wing government?

Such as why in polls around 70% of the public consistently say they would like to see the railways renationalised....for some reason though that particular vote winner never seems to find its way into the Manifestos of the 4 main right wing parties....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You.should,rephrase when were the British people allowed to elect a left wing government?

Such as why in polls around 70% of the public consistently say they would like to see the railways renationalised....for some reason though that particular vote winner never seems to find its way into the Manifestos of the 4 main right wing parties....

In my view the last British "left wing" government was Harold Wilson and George Brown.
    What do you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my view the last British "left wing" government was Harold Wilson and George Brown.
    What do you think?

Maybe you should answer my question first - As to why the majority of the populations views are consistently ignored concerning re nationalisation?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Still trying to find his way to the constituency he's standing in

2) Being kept well out of the way because the last thing they need is Boris opening his gob and putting both feet in it

3) Beyond the M25 most people think Boris is Borat's big brother...a comedy character who scarily might actually be real
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should answer my question first - As to why the majority of the populations views are consistently ignored concerning re nationalisation?

On the other hand the majorities (until recently) views on capital punishment have been ignored for a couple of generations.
    Perhaps in both cases it is elitists in power deciding what is good for the majority regardless of democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand the majorities (until recently) views on capital punishment have been ignored for a couple of generations.
    Perhaps in both cases it is elitists in power deciding what is good for the majority regardless of democracy.

Yes that must be it, the 'elitists' are doing it for the good of us all and not putting their own interests first...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

All M.P.'s are out and about campaigning. We see them from time to time on the news. But our General Election is not the only news.

There are more than enough programmes on the the GE imo. Most of the pundits are fascinated with the polls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes he is. Today he is in Somerset following his trip to Dursley yesterday.

Boris Johnson has said there is a Conservative “surge in the Westcountry” as a poll predicted the party would wipe out their Liberal Democrat rivals in the region

The Mayor of London, left, toured the South West yesterday to boost support in a key region for the Conservatives – making a number of stops in Somerset and Wiltshire – as a ComRes-ITV News poll revealed a 13-point swing from the Liberal Democrats to the Conservatives in the region. The polls suggested the Lib Dems would lose control of 14 seats to the Conservatives in the region.

While visiting the region, Mr Johnson also warned Labour will “turn their back on the Westcountry” as he criticised Ed Miliband’s plans to delay a major road upgrade in the region.

Mr Johnson hit out at Labour’s plan, if it is elected, to delay the upgrade of the A3058 link road in Somerset, which critic fear could underline the massive £2 billion upgrade of the A303 past Stonehenge by failing to tackle log-jams.

Mr Johnson’s family hail from Exmoor in Somerset and he said it would be “crazy” to halt the long-awaited scheme.

Speaking to the Western Morning News at the Monks Yard café near Ilminster, Somerset, on the A303-A358 interchange, he said: “I have been campaigning for the A303-A358 upgrade for years and years. Genuinely it would be a huge boost for my family.

“It’s crazy. It makes no sense at all to delay it. It’s an obvious next move for the area, for the economy here. It wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive.

“The Conservatives top to bottom are behind it. It’s insane we do this huge dog leg (M4 then M5) to get from London to the Westcountry and the Westcountrty to London.”

Mr Johnson said Labour’s move, announced in its manifesto, was a portent of “things to come” for the region if Ed Milband won the election – and would be worse still if the SNP was in coalition.