How many tracks can you actually get on?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
hi all,

i'm planning on buying an 80gb iPod classic in a couple of weeks (pay-day!).

the bumf claims that it can get up to 20,000 songs on it in aac format. i have two questions;

1) is aac the best format to use (as i am going to double up and back up all my music to the hard drive as i'm loading the iPod)?

2) whichever format i use, how many tracks do you think i'm going to get on to the iPod? (i realise that this is wildly variant depending on track type/length etc, but i'm after rough ideas).

Cheers for any help,

:p

Comments

• PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AAC is the best format for the iPod as they are smaller

You would probably be looking at approx 3.5 meg per song, so for 20,000 songs thats about 70gig

give or take as I didnt use exact conversion and some songs will be bigger/smaller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for that,

what is the score with aac in terms of hard disk back up?

if i am going to back up my CD collection i want to make sure it is in the best quality format possible

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AAC will go upto 320kbps (I use 160kbps MP3 which i believe is the equivalent of AAC 128kbps)

So AAC would give you a smaller file than MP3 (same sound quality)

You could easily double the rate but this would then only give about 10,000 on you ipod

I have transferred all my CDs onto the computer at the above rate, and for me I have no problems with the sound

also bar in mind about compatibility, not sure what else uses AA format if you ever change
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    AAC is the best format for the iPod as they are smaller

You would probably be looking at approx 3.5 meg per song, so for 20,000 songs thats about 70gig

give or take as I didnt use exact conversion and some songs will be bigger/smaller

Rubbish. The 20,000 songs is IF they are 4 minutes or less and ripped in AAC format at 64kbps.
    I tried doing some of my tracks in AAC to compare them to MP3 format in size there is very little in it.
    You may save a couple of MB in an album but that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish. The 20,000 songs is IF they are 4 minutes or less and ripped in AAC format at 64kbps.
    I tried doing some of my tracks in AAC to compare them to MP3 format in size there is very little in it.
    You may save a couple of MB in an album but that's it.

So how many 4 minute 3.5 meg songs would you get on an 80gig ipod

thats at 128 AAC
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would keep your backup in mp3 format as this is the most compatible format out there and therefore likely to last the longest. HDD space is cheap these days so you can use a high bit rate e.g. 320kbps mp3.

On the ipod itself use AAC as this seems to be a more efficient codec. if you ever switch to a non-apple mp3 player then your mp3s can be converted to wma which are also more efficient that mp3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just calculated my library

Mostly 160kbps MP3 but also some 128kbps AAC files, I would get just over 19,000 songs on 80gig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so,

does this mean in real terms i am looking at 10,000 tracks at a decent quality and 20 at a lower qaulity.

does the iPod except mp3's?

:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing todo is try the options and see what quality sounds best for you

The iPod plays MP3 fine

Put one song into iTunes at 160kbps MP3 and the same track at 320kbps MP3 see if it sounds better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I would keep your backup in mp3 format as this is the most compatible format out there and therefore likely to last the longest. HDD space is cheap these days so you can use a high bit rate e.g. 320kbps mp3.

On the ipod itself use AAC as this seems to be a more efficient codec. if you ever switch to a non-apple mp3 player then your mp3s can be converted to wma which are also more efficient that mp3.

does iTunes rip CDs to MP3's as well as AAC? if so will it then convert them as well in terms of transfering them onto the iPod.

if fact (sorry, quesitons are flowing now!), what is the best program to use to rip CD's to a hard drive in terms of qaulity?

:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iTunes will rip the cd to AAC or MP3 (you can choose)

It then transfers them at this rate ovr to the iPod
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iTunes will rip the cd to AAC or MP3 (you can choose)

It then transfers them at this rate ovr to the iPod

so it doesnt convert harddrive mp3's into aac's to go onto the iPod?

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    racingmars wrote: »
    so it doesnt convert harddrive mp3's into aac's to go onto the iPod?

iTunes and the iPod will play AAC & MP3

I cant remember how the import works, but if you tell iTunes you want your songs in AAC or MP3, when you import songs (or rip a cd) they will be in this format

Doing this you can easily convert your MP3 into AAC (you dont need to though)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for all your help paul

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for all your help paul

:)

No Problem

If you get the classic can you post to say what you think of it, I am tempted by one myself (to replace my nano)
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Problem

If you get the classic can you post to say what you think of it, I am tempted by one myself (to replace my nano)

I have the classic. My first iPod, so far not over impressed with it. Sound quality compared to my Zen M is a lot worse.

I had to boost ALL my track sound levels up so they can actually be heard at a decent enough low level.

There are still a few bugs, which it seems Apple can't be bothered to iron out. It doesn't always display the art work. Plus unless you have brightness up on full you'll always get a screen saver of a poxy clock showing.
    The clock even if you set it to show 24 Hour clock will always display in 12 hr.
    The cover flow while a good idea, is still buggy if you have lots of compilation albums.

I'd wait a few months till they have ironed out the ton of bugs.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just calculated my library

Mostly 160kbps MP3 but also some 128kbps AAC files, I would get just over 19,000 songs on 80gig

Don't forget!!! 80gb is the unformatted figure, with formatting and system files actual disk size will be something like 72gb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    if i am going to back up my CD collection i want to make sure it is in the best quality format possible

... in which case you don't want to use MP3 or AAC.

If you want to retain maximum quality you should use a lossless format. Apple do their own version (not supported by anything else) or FLAC is another option (not supported by iPod).

Both are high quality formats but also take up more space. About 50% the size of the original WAV file for FLAC, not sure what the ratio is for Apple Lossless.

Obviously, if you were using Apple Lossless on an 80gb iPod you wouldn't get anywhere near 20,000 tracks on it ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Problem

will do mate, but it will be the end of the month/early nov, need to wait for pay day!

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    ... in which case you don't want to use MP3 or AAC.

If you want to retain maximum quality you should use a lossless format. Apple do their own version (not supported by anything else) or FLAC is another option (not supported by iPod).

Both are high quality formats but also take up more space. About 50% the size of the original WAV file for FLAC, not sure what the ratio is for Apple Lossless.

Obviously, if you were using Apple Lossless on an 80gb iPod you wouldn't get anywhere near 20,000 tracks on it ...

cheer for this, it gives me loads to think about!