US TV recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    :o:o:o *faints*

Please give Breaking Bad a chance. It is phenomenal and it only gets better as the seasons progress.

I did try and it's not the acting, writing or direction, all of which I accept is stunning. I'm just not able to get over my deep distaste of making a hero of a meths dealer.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I did try and it's not the acting, writing or direction, all of which I accept is stunning. I'm just not able to get over my deep distaste of making a hero of a meths dealer.

But he's not a hero. He is an anti-hero.

Anyway, while I believe Breaking Bad is one of the two best drama series ever made for TV, I can appreciate someone saying "This show is just not for me."
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Loads of good suggestions here, I'm going to add a few more!

Continuum, just finished season 2
    The Mentalist, currently on season 6 so that'd keep you going a while, and
    Strike Back, proper action, loads of exploding helicopters etc
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must give breaking bad a chance
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member

That's kind of the point. It's the evolution of Walt into Heisenburg over five seasons.
    For four seasons he only ever offed people who were worse than him. By five he would have offed anyone who stood in his way. In the end you end up rooting for the people trying to take him down, and he get his just desserts eventually. If my son ever asked me "Why aren't you dead yet?" it would kill me completely. Despite everything, it was still sad when he died.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's kind of the point. It's the evolution of Walt into Heisenburg over five seasons.
    For four seasons he only ever offed people who were worse than him. By five he would have offed anyone who stood in his way. In the end you end up rooting for the people trying to take him down, and he get his just desserts eventually. If my son ever asked me "Why aren't you dead yet?" it would kill me completely. Despite everything, it was still sad when he died.

That's a HUGE spoiler which gives away the ending. Do not read if you are going to give the show a chance.

Although if your real reason for disliking the show is that you think Walter White is made out to be a hero, I really would advise to continue watching :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deadwood (can't praise this highly enough)
    Homicide: Life On The Streets
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of the series of the new US season I would recommend Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperate Housewives is pretty awesome.
    Essentially about four housewives who live on the same street in the suburbs, sounds boring but it really isn't. All women are in different situations and all have different personalities but are best friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Rookie Blue (it is definitely addictive)
    Pretty Little Liars
    Revenge
    Lost (my favourite show of all time)
    Battlestar Galactica
    Chicago Fire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Cougar town, parenthood, Monday mornings (similar yo greys )
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking Bad!!! No other show can compare. I have not yet met anyone who didn't like it.

Well, then. Please allow me to introduce myself ... ;-)
    When it was first broadcast I saw the trailers - they were hard to miss at the time. Nothing in them really engaged me (oh god! not another bloody foreign show about drugs :( ) so I ignored it.
    After the last series finished, I thought I'd give it a shot - my first impressions turned out to be correct.
    I didn't connect with any of the characters - they seem to have been designed cynically to elicit an emotional response from the audience and I simply don't care about drugs. Oh and Albuquerque is a bit of a dump, too (I spent a week there, seemed longer).

So really, there was nothing in the show for me. I forced myself to watch the whole of series #1, but the show still didn't click. Personally, I prefer my science fiction¹ (and other shows, too) to be less "talky" and to set out its thesis early on - so at least you get a sense of direction from it. BB just meandered.
    It did have some good moments, but they were too few and too far between to reward the time spent watching all the rest of the stuff.

[1] and yes, it was SF - among other things. Chemistry was the science and it was definitely ficton. It probably qualified as many other genres, too: soap, crime and maybe some more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Well, then. Please allow me to introduce myself ... ;-)
    When it was first broadcast I saw the trailers - they were hard to miss at the time. Nothing in them really engaged me (oh god! not another bloody foreign show about drugs :( ) so I ignored it.
    After the last series finished, I thought I'd give it a shot - my first impressions turned out to be correct.
    I didn't connect with any of the characters - they seem to have been designed cynically to elicit an emotional response from the audience and I simply don't care about drugs. Oh and Albuquerque is a bit of a dump, too (I spent a week there, seemed longer).

So really, there was nothing in the show for me. I forced myself to watch the whole of series #1, but the show still didn't click. Personally, I prefer my science fiction¹ (and other shows, too) to be less "talky" and to set out its thesis early on - so at least you get a sense of direction from it. BB just meandered.
    It did have some good moments, but they were too few and too far between to reward the time spent watching all the rest of the stuff.

[1] and yes, it was SF - among other things. Chemistry was the science and it was definitely ficton. It probably qualified as many other genres, too: soap, crime and maybe some more.

The show gets so much better with every season. Season 1 is only 6 episodes and just sets the scene for what's to come. There are many more great characters to come too. It is a superbly written show with exceptional performances by all the cast. I'm not a fan of drug gang movies or TV series either, but Breaking Bad is quite different. I would recommend to stick with it. Having said that, I don't like Science Fiction, so our tastes may be completely different. Breaking Bad is almost unilaterally loved though.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show gets so much better with every season. Season 1 is only 6 episodes and just sets the scene for what's to come. There are many more great characters to come too. It is a superbly written show with exceptional performances by all the cast. I'm not a fan of drug gang movies or TV series either, but Breaking Bad is quite different. I would recommend to stick with it. Having said that, I don't like Science Fiction, so our tastes may be completely different. Breaking Bad is almost unilaterally loved though.

Almost unilaterally............ Interesting phrase

BTW I am most definitely not part of the BB fan club
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Almost unilaterally............ Interesting phrase

BTW I am most definitely not part of the BB fan club

that should have been 'universally' :D:blush:
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that should have been 'universally' :D:blush:

Almost makes it worse, something is either universally, loved, hated, washed in Daz bio, or not. NEVER almost:confused:
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boardwalk Empire
    Mad Men
    Castle
    Arrested Development
    Breaking Bad
    Firefly
    Chuck
    Band of Brothers
    Arrow
    Homeland
    Sleepy Hollow
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ray Donovan
    Suits
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From your list, I liked Orange is the New Black, Suits and Banshee. I usually watch a TV series while commuting for work, so I enjoyed those below the most:

Orphan Black (I was indifferent until third episode)
    Treme (warning: series 3 is the weakest)
    Lights Out (cancelled, but completed)
    Oz (took me five years to catch up; totally worth the effort)
    Carnival (cancelled and incomplete :cry:)
    Mad Men (I was losing interest during the sixth series, so I don't think I'll watch any more)
    The Black Donnellys (cancelled, but completed-ish)
    White Collar (stopped after the mid-season finale of third series)
    Generation Kill (mini seven-episode series)
    Top of the Lake (mini seven-episode series)
    The Lost Room (mini three-episode series, but I felt it needed another episode)

I plan to watch Southland, heavily recommended by a trusted TV-mad friend. He's the one who recommended almost all above. The ones he didn't suggest are Mad Men, White Collar and Top of the Lake. He didn't like Mad Men and thought White Collar was "just OK".

As a reference point, he also recommends these, which I haven't seen yet: The Wire, Copper, Person of Interest, Hell on Wheels, Blue Bloods, Franklin and Bash, Revolution, The Newsroom and The Kill Point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Ray Donovan
    Suits

I absolutely LOVE both of those shows! :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    From your list, I liked Orange is the New Black, Suits and Banshee. I usually watch a TV series while commuting for work, so I enjoyed those below the most:

Orphan Black (I was indifferent until third episode)
    Treme (warning: series 3 is the weakest)
    Lights Out (cancelled, but completed)
    Oz (took me five years to catch up; totally worth the effort)
    Carnival (cancelled and incomplete :cry:)
    Mad Men (I was losing interest during the sixth series, so I don't think I'll watch any more)
    The Black Donnellys (cancelled, but completed-ish)
    White Collar (stopped after the mid-season finale of third series)
    Generation Kill (mini seven-episode series)
    Top of the Lake (mini seven-episode series)
    The Lost Room (mini three-episode series, but I felt it needed another episode)

I plan to watch Southland, heavily recommended by a trusted TV-mad friend. He's the one who recommended almost all above. The ones he didn't suggest are Mad Men, White Collar and Top of the Lake. He didn't like Mad Men and thought White Collar was "just OK".

As a reference point, he also recommends these, which I haven't seen yet: The Wire, Copper, Person of Interest, Hell on Wheels, Blue Bloods, Franklin and Bash, Revolution, The Newsroom and The Kill Point.

Copperwas very good...shame it was not renewed. I have just finished watching 3 seasons of Hell on Wheels and liked it very much. I do already watch Blue Bloods. I have had lots of recommendations for The Wire so might give that a chance next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Mad Men (I was losing interest during the sixth series, I don't think I'll watch any more)
    Season 7 will be the last season of Mad Men, so maybe stick with it a little bit longer :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Boardwalk Empire
    Mad Men
    Castle
    Arrested Development
    Breaking Bad
    Firefly
    Chuck
    Band of Brothers
    Arrow
    Homeland
    Sleepy Hollow
    Forgot to add 'The Newsroom'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    The show title has left me at the moment but the show where a bank robbery went wrong and they took hostages. I think it lasted for 12 episodes.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Season 7 will be the last season of Mad Men, so maybe stick with it a little bit longer :)

In that case, I'll continue with it. Thanks for the heads up.
    The show title has left me at the moment but the show where a bank robbery went wrong and they took hostages. I think it lasted for 12 episodes.

Sounds like 'The Kill Point'?