Latest from Moffat... believe it if you want: one 60-min special 'complete nonsense!'

1235»

Comments

• nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your disagreement is noted.

Of course, you're absolutely wrong, as is anybody else who agrees with your disagreement. And if anyone wishes to agree with my disagreement of your disagreement then I'm also prepared to disagree with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell is this thread about again?

:confused:
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    We're supposed to be getting annoyed about the latest PR thingy. There will be some episodes and they will be of whatever length they are. Trying to predict it from the PR interviews etc is difficult. And now you can punch me in the face about it if you wish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    We're supposed to be getting annoyed about the latest PR thingy. There will be some episodes and they will be of whatever length they are. Trying to predict it from the PR interviews etc is difficult. And now you can punch me in the face about it if you wish.

What if I don't want to punch you in the face?
    Are you gonna make me?

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case, can I just announce how bloody annoyed I am at this PR thingy and whatever was said. Whatever was said, by whoever said it, should have been said by someone else saying something completely different that I would have agreed with.

I'm so annoyed about the whole thing that I'm going to have to have a strong cup of tea in order to calm myself down. Then I am going to make a formal complaint. I'm not sure who too yet, but whoever it is will receive my full wrath, you can be sure of that.

:confused:
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it might be worth reviving this thread...

What happened to Moffats statments

1: One 60 minute special is complete nonsense.

It now seems pretty evident that is all we are in store for

2: Doctor Who will take over TV in 2013:-

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/20/doctor-who-poised-to-take-over-tv-in-2013-claims-moffat-3325898/

really? We have to wait til November now for the next show, having already waited for a age to see the last 6..

I do like Moffat and admire his work but I sure feel a bit hoodwinked at times
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Thought it might be worth reviving this thread...

What happened to Moffats statments

1: One 60 minute special is complete nonsense.

It now seems pretty evident that is all we are in store for

2: Doctor Who will take over TV in 2013:-

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/20/doctor-who-poised-to-take-over-tv-in-2013-claims-moffat-3325898/

really? We have to wait til November now for the next show, having already waited for a age to see the last 6..

I do like Moffat and admire his work but I sure feel a bit hoodwinked at times

I still think this is what Moffat had initially planned for the anniversary year, but it was the BBC who told him he couldn't later on.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't think it's worth dredging up again, and to prove how worthless I think it is I am posting this to get it back to the top of the board.

We all know that Moffat is a big fat liar that hates Doctor Who fans and is deliberately releasing false information to makes us all pointlessly annoyed about something irrelevant. He is interested in one thing only, lining his pockets with money from his lucrative Jammie Dodgers deal with Burtons. He is committed to cutting the length of Doctor Who episodes to 5 minutes and showing these once every two years at 3am UK time to pander to his Hollywood mates, like Steven Segal who he worked with on Rin Tin Tin the movie. . He has Paul McGann locked in a cellar and is refusing to let him out for this year's Bonfire Night special (which has been delayed until Nov 23rd because Moff@ can't decide what colour bow tie Matt Smith should wear!) and has recast Richard Hurndall as John Hurt because he knows how much everybody loves RH' s portrayal and wants to show us that he hates us! This is how the whole of Doctor Who fandom feels as is evident from the numerous and totally rational threads that are started on every forum everywhere, even those not about Doctor Who.

On the other hand, we don't yet know how long the 50th episode is going to be.
    We are getting a special docu-drama on the early years, which qualifies as more than just one special in my book.
    We have never been promised that from 01/01/2013 to 31/12/2013 Doctor Who would take over TV, just that at some point this year Doctor Who be adequately celebrated.

After series 7's many heartwarming nods to the past, we have been left with an enormous and gobsmacking cliffhanger leading into a multi Doctor anniversary special...in 3D. Bring it on Sir Moffat, I leave you to continue delivering your excellently enjoyable version of Doctor Who and if I read too much into your PR and get pointlessly annoyed, please feel free to ignore me!
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Well I don't think it's worth dredging up again, and to prove how worthless I think it is I am posting this to get it back to the top of the board.

We all know that Moffat is a big fat liar that hates Doctor Who fans and is deliberately releasing false information to makes us all pointlessly annoyed about something irrelevant. He is interested in one thing only, lining his pockets with money from his lucrative Jammie Dodgers deal with Burtons. He is committed to cutting the length of Doctor Who episodes to 5 minutes and showing these once every two years at 3am UK time to pander to his Hollywood mates, like Steven Segal who he worked with on Rin Tin Tin the movie. . He has Paul McGann locked in a cellar and is refusing to let him out for this year's Bonfire Night special (which has been delayed until Nov 23rd because Moff@ can't decide what colour bow tie Matt Smith should wear!) and has recast Richard Hurndall as John Hurt because he knows how much everybody loves RH' s portrayal and wants to show us that he hates us! This is how the whole of Doctor Who fandom feels as is evident from the numerous and totally rational threads that are started on every forum everywhere, even those not about Doctor Who.

On the other hand, we don't yet know how long the 50th episode is going to be.
    We are getting a special docu-drama on the early years, which qualifies as more than just one special in my book.
    We have never been promised that from 01/01/2013 to 31/12/2013 Doctor Who would take over TV, just that at some point this year Doctor Who be adequately celebrated.

After series 7's many heartwarming nods to the past, we have been left with an enormous and gobsmacking cliffhanger leading into a multi Doctor anniversary special...in 3D. Bring it on Sir Moffat, I leave you to continue delivering your excellently enjoyable version of Doctor Who and if I read too much into your PR and get pointlessly annoyed, please feel free to ignore me!

What's with your facetious post? You act as though the poster you are responding to is some paranoid, hate-filled fantasist making groundless criticisms. In fact, as done to death as it may be, his point is valid. Moffat, in those statements, was full of bull. I don't care if you like it; I don't care if you don't like people who point it out but don't do this silly little sarcastic nonsense because it rubs you up the wrong way. It was an embarrassing post to read.

Moffat regularly lies in his P.R about the show. It may be becoming a tired point but your obsequious attitude doesn't change the fact.

I love Moffat as a writer, and have no problem with him as a person but sometimes he comes out with utter rubbish and it's fair to pick him up on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    What's with your facetious post? You act as though the poster you are responding to is some paranoid, hate-filled fantasist making groundless criticisms. In fact, as done to death as it may be, his point is valid. Moffat, in those statements, was full of bull. I don't care if you like it; I don't care if you don't like people who point it out but don't do this silly little sarcastic nonsense because it rubs you up the wrong way. It was an embarrassing post to read.

Moffat regularly lies in his P.R about the show. It may be becoming a tired point but your obsequious attitude doesn't change the fact.

I love Moffat as a writer, and have no problem with him as a person but sometimes he comes out with utter rubbish and it's fair to pick him up on that.

Because it amused me? Not rubbed up anyway at all (mores the pity!) Don't mind people posting anything they want about anything at all. Tis a free forum and I have the option to ignore, add constructive comments or post random and incomprehensible pointlessly annoyed babble if I want. I am sure if there is anything offensive in anything I have said the site moderator's will place me on the naughty step.
    Might not be a bad idea as it might encourage me to get a life...
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Because it amused me? Not rubbed up anyway at all (mores the pity!) Don't mind people posting anything they want about anything at all. Tis a free forum and I have the option to ignore, add constructive comments or post random and incomprehensible pointlessly annoyed babble if I want. I am sure if there is anything offensive in anything I have said the site moderator's will place me on the naughty step.
    Might not be a bad idea as it might encourage me to get a life...

Your post amused me :)

Ignore Tom Tit. He never usually stops in threads long enough to have proper conversations with anyway. He's rather like the speaking clock :)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »

Ignore Tom Tit. He never usually stops in threads long enough to have proper conversations with anyway. He's rather like the speaking clock :)

However that still doesn't change the fact that he's right - Steven Moffat's public pronouncements about Doctor Who's 50th year have been full of bull. The anniversary special is still up in the air in terms of whether its 60 minutes / 75 minutes / 90 minutes or longer; but what is abundantly clear is that we're not getting 'more Who' this year than ever before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're going to re release all the old Classic 'who' but with Clara superimposed in the odd scene...

Then it really would be Dr Who takes over television :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably off rubbing himself up the 'right way' over the thought of Karen Gillan naked, as 1 in 10 of his worthy and enlightening posts over the last 3 years seems to indicate!

(This is me being facetious!)
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    However that still doesn't change the fact that he's right - Steven Moffat's public pronouncements about Doctor Who's 50th year have been full of bull. The anniversary special is still up in the air in terms of whether its 60 minutes / 75 minutes / 90 minutes or longer; but what is abundantly clear is that we're not getting 'more Who' this year than ever before.

True. I'm slightly more concerned about the lack of any firm details about series 8 now though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. I'm slightly more concerned about the lack of any firm details about series 8 now though...

Yeah me too. I sense next year may be a gap year in truth.

I imagine I'll get slaughtered for being negative for saying that but it's a feeling I have in my water so to speak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I hope there will be more then one special for two reasons
    1. This is 50th anniversary. It deserves more than one 60-minutes special episode.
    2. This is a 'gap year'. Making one or two episodes in whole year is deffinitely not enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I hope there will be more then one special for two reasons
    1. This is 50th anniversary. It deserves more than one 60-minutes special episode.
    2. This is a 'gap year'. Making one or two episodes in whole year is deffinitely not enough.

There is almost certainly going to be only one anniversary special. The only way there would be more is if they made a 90 minute special and split it into two episode. This is incredibly unlikely so it's pretty much a fact that we're getting only one and this one episode may well be only 60 minutes long. There were rumblings that it needed to be shortened to allow Strictly Come Dancing to air, but hopefully these rumours are groundless.

This isn't a gap year...we just had a series of 8 episodes. Yes, it's a lot less than the usual 13, but I've a feeling that that's the way things are going to be from now on.
    Series 8 is unlikely to start filming until early 2014, meaning it's an autumn 2014 air date at the earliest. Even then it may only be 5 episodes meaning we'll have to wait until 2015 for the second half.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is almost certainly going to be only one anniversary special. The only way there would be more is if they made a 90 minute special and split it into two episode. This is incredibly unlikely so it's pretty much a fact that we're getting only one and this one episode may well be only 60 minutes long. There were rumblings that it needed to be shortened to allow Strictly Come Dancing to air, but hopefully these rumours are groundless.

This isn't a gap year...we just had a series of 8 episodes. Yes, it's a lot less than the usual 13, but I've a feeling that that's the way things are going to be from now on.
    Series 8 is unlikely to start filming until early 2014, meaning it's an autumn 2014 air date at the earliest. Even then it may only be 5 episodes meaning we'll have to wait until 2015 for the second half.

Series 7 ended in spring 2013. Series 8 will probably start in autumn 2014. There is more than a year between. So it is a gap year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 7 ended in spring 2013. Series 8 will probably start in autumn 2014. There is more than a year between. So it is a gap year.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant 2013 itself was a gap year.
    Forum Member

To be honest given the BBC's at times shoddy treatment of Doctor Who over the years a gap year is as fitting tribute as anything else :(

And as for the rumour of it needing to be sixty minutes in order to accommodate Strictly. I really hope that's not true. I was under the impression that we would get a whole evening of programming. Something more along the lines of the Olympics broadcasting that the BBC keep promising? Not a sixty minute episode squashed in between the latest episode of z-list celebs trying to dance.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It looks as though Moffat has been creative in order to deliver multiple anniversary episodes. Part One was the series 7 finale. We actually saw the first Doctor leaving Gallifrey. And a new (to us) Doctor. Part two is the November 23rd 3D episode (60 or more minutes). And they hinted that it will conclude with part three on Christmas Day. I'm expecting three individual stories , interlinked but essentially self contained, all of which celebrate the history of the show in one way or another.

Voila "why talk in the singular?" delivered!

Ten episodes, two or three of which have a strong anniversary feel. One origins drama. Some rumoured mini episodes. A culture show special. A big weekend convention, (presumably televised highlights?) and probably a themed night with special features, interviews and the like? Maybe special channel idents. That kind of thing.

It's up to people to decide if the above means Moffat was being fair when he said one sixty minute episode was "complete nonsense".