New Spectrum Auction 2.3GHz and 3.4GHz

enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New spectrum auction

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/ofcom-uk-prep-auction-2-3ghz-3-4ghz-4g-mobile-broadband.html

Looks like more spectrum is coming up for grabs.

2.3GHz is likely extremely important for O2 and Three as they didn't manage to get any 2.6GHz.

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    No one replied? How rude! :)
    I see 2300 is band 40 and 3500 is band 42.
    Can't find a 3400 band though.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »

In fairness it says 3400MHz and up so it probably is the 3500MHz band. There is a 150MHz on offer.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any phones that currently support these bands in the UK, neither of the new iPhones (UK models) support these bands, however one of the foreign models support band 40 (2300).

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    Are there any phones that currently support these bands in the UK, neither of the new iPhones (UK models) support these bands, however one of the foreign models support band 40 (2300).

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

That model would work perfectly fine in the UK for all other bands as well. So we could have had that as our UK model.

Guess Apple are holding it back so they can have a selling point for iPhone 6 in the UK though.... :rolleyes:

Like i said before, I 100% agree with your thoughts enapace.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yes very rude of you to take so long to reply ;)

I never saw this thread at all originally but I seemed to have posted about 2300 and 3500 in another thread.

2300 will indeed be band 40. 3500 (which is what this slots into) would be band 22 (FDD) and band 42 (TDD).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    Yes very rude of you to take so long to reply ;)

I never saw this thread at all originally but I seemed to have posted about 2300 and 3500 in another thread.

2300 will indeed be band 40. 3500 (which is what this slots into) would be band 22 (FDD) and band 42 (TDD).

So it would of been far better for us to get the asian-australian model shame. Thanks for clarification on the bands. Will be interesting to see who bids for what.

You wouldn't happen to know how much 1900MHz each network has would you? Or which LTE band it falls under I know it TDD.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That model would work perfectly fine in the UK for all other bands as well. So we could have had that as our UK model.

Guess Apple are holding it back so they can have a selling point for iPhone 6 in the UK though.... :rolleyes:

Like i said before, I 100% agree with your thoughts enapace.

Probably just more of a regional thing as the UK gets the European model. Hopefully by this time next year it will be all frequencies in one model creating a world LTE phone. I believe I read that a chip was created earlier this year that could work on many/all the world LTE frequencies, but it probably isn't a cheap enough option yet, or isn't ready for mass market.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to know how much 1900MHz each network has would you? Or which LTE band it falls under I know it TDD.
    By 1900 I assume you mean the spectrum from 1900-1920 (usually called 2100!!) that came with the 3G licences. This is band 33. EE have 10MHz, O2 and Three have 5MHz each. However this is not yet available for 4G as Ofcom excluded it (on purpose) when they freed up the existing spectrum a few months ago. Basically there are studies going on to find a use for this spectrum which is why they didn't free it up.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could cause problems with the 13cm and 9cm Amateur Radio bands (See Annex 6) :eek:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/public-sector-spectrum-release/summary/condoc.pdf

I suspect any auction will be a while from now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    By 1900 I assume you mean the spectrum from 1900-1920 (usually called 2100!!) that came with the 3G licences. This is band 33. EE have 10MHz, O2 and Three have 5MHz each. However this is not yet available for 4G as Ofcom excluded it (on purpose) when they freed up the existing spectrum a few months ago. Basically there are studies going on to find a use for this spectrum which is why they didn't free it up.

Yeah that is what I meant. Interesting to hear they excluded it imagine EE could do something with 10MHz of TDD not sure if 5MHz of TDD is useful or not. Thanks for clarification.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could cause problems with the 13cm and 9cm Amateur Radio bands (See Annex 6) :eek:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/public-sector-spectrum-release/summary/condoc.pdf

I suspect any auction will be a while from now.

Can't see how it could if the military have been using it for years and never been a problem before. But you right I am sure they will look into that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see how it could if the military have been using it for years and never been a problem before. But you right I am sure they will look into that.

The Military have loads of spectrum most of which they don't use and in many cases haven't used for a very long time. Hence Ofcom have persuade them to give it up. On some bands the MoD let other users have access to on a secondary basis as long as they didn't cause interference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently this spectrum won't be available for use in northern Ireland according to Ofcom. So looks like NI are out of luck again.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/2.3-3.4-ghz/summary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently this spectrum won't be available for use in northern Ireland according to Ofcom. So looks like NI are out of luck again.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/2.3-3.4-ghz/summary

I suspect the MOD will have objected regarding Northern Ireland.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Will 3.4GHz mainly be for capacity in cities or something? It'll be rubbish in terms of indoor coverage that high up! :D

Also, where will this end? What other bands are going to be up for grabs at some point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A spectrum auction :confused:

Is that where you place a bid on an old Sinclair computer on EBay :D

I'll have that one with the built in tape deck ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very likely that is true.
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Will 3.4GHz mainly be for capacity in cities or something? It'll be rubbish in terms of indoor coverage that high up! :D

Also, where will this end? What other bands are going to be up for grabs at some point?

I expect it will be used for fixed line 4G most likely similar to what company UKBroadband does.
  • davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would bet my mortgage that this is true. The way out police and military work and the conditions under which they work are very different to that of the mainland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    I would bet my mortgage that this is true. The way out police and military work and the conditions under which they work are very different to that of the mainland.

True it just seems a shame that NI are going to miss out on this as I expect it will prove very beneficial in time.