Options

The DC-TVU Thread

Comments

• Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Does Supergirl start a lot later than Arrow and Flash then?

It starts the Monday after The Flash/Arrow - who have already wrapped 2 episodes each.

It must be taking longer than expected to rebuild in Vancouver. I don't think they've even confirmed what will happen with Calista Flockhart and Mrs Tatum.....I can't see either of them wanting to live there for most of the year.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just quicker to make Supergirl than Arrow or Flash which is why the delayed start date on production!

I would be surprised if Calista Flockheart is confirmed now after all this time or maybe she will just have a smaller role in the second season with the increased cast they have now!
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    LoT and Supergirl now start 1 week later.

Dolph Lundgren has joined Arrow's flashbacks.

Supergirl and The Flash will have a 2 part.....musical....crossover.......
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting this in here because it affects all four shows. Quite a funny article about which musical numbers they'd like to see in the crossover between The Flash and Supergirl:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/the-flash-supergirl-crossover-10-musical-numbers-we-want-to-see

Although the comments on the article are even more amusing.
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    So, who've we got at the moment?

* Arrow
    * Flash
    * Supergirl (moving to the CW Network for Season 2)
    * Legends of Tomorrow
    There's also the Vixen web-series of animated episodes.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Putting this in here because it affects all four shows. Quite a funny article about which musical numbers they'd like to see in the crossover between The Flash and Supergirl:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/the-flash-supergirl-crossover-10-musical-numbers-we-want-to-see

Although the comments on the article are even more amusing.
    I hate musical episodes.
    There's also the Vixen web-series of animated episodes.
    True, though I don't know how directly (or indirectly) that's linked to the live action shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate musical episodes.

It depends on how well they're done, the Buffy one is still one of the finest pieces of television ever done imho.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on how well they're done, the Buffy one is still one of the finest pieces of television ever done imho.
    Mine too and when Buffy was singing about being in heaven it was emotional and sad, so well done.
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never much of a Buffy fan, and generally don't care for musicals, but I guess sometimes two wrongs do make a right, as I thought the Buffy musical episode was absolutely incredible. Although possibly also at least partially responsible for the god-awful Supergirl/Flash musical episode we're likely going to have to endure :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought this was probably the best place to put this, US air dates for all four shows:
    The Flash season 3 will premiere Tuesday October 4th at 8pm on The CW, Arrow season 5 will premiere in the same timeslot on Wednesday October 5th, Supergirl season 2 on Monday October 10th, and Legends of Tomorrow season 2 on Thursday October 13th.

Synopsis for each show:
    Arrow

Newly appointed Mayor Oliver Queen finds himself challenged as he fights on two fronts for the future of Star City. With Diggle back in the military and Thea adamant about hanging up her hood as Speedy, Team Green Arrow is down to just Oliver and Felicity – but they’re no longer the only vigilantes in town. Green Arrow’s public defeat of Damien Darhk at the end of Season Four has inspired a new crop of masked heroes to step up and defend the city, though their painful inexperience makes them obstacles, rather than allies, in the field. The arrival of a deadly new adversary will force Oliver to confront questions about his own legacy, both as mayor and as the Green Arrow.

The Flash

Blinded by anger, Barry unwittingly plays into Zoom’s game and uncovers the evil speedster’s true goal: to destroy all Earths in the multiverse. In the race of his life, Barry ultimately gets the upper hand against Zoom and defeats his nemesis. But unable to celebrate victory, Barry makes a world-shaking decision and speeds back in time to the night his mother died to stop Reverse Flash from killing her, irrevocably changing his past and redetermining his future.

Supergirl

Now, in Season Two, Kara has left the safety of being Cat Grant’s assistant in order to figure out what she really wants to do, while as Supergirl she continues to work at the DEO, protecting the citizens of National City and searching for Jeremiah and Cadmus. Along the way, she will team up with Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) to battle new villains, as she strives to balance her personal life with her life as a superhero.

Legends of Tomorrow

After the defeat of the immortal villain Vandal Savage and the corrupt Time Masters who colluded with him, a new threat emerges. Dr. Nate Heywood (Nick Zano), an unconventional and charming historian, is thrust into the action upon making a shocking discovery – the Legends are scattered throughout time.

Nate must find a way to rescue season one’s beloved team of heroes and rogues, including billionaire inventor Ray Palmer (Brandon Routh), who has created an exo-suit with the power to shrink him to miniscule size, as the Atom; Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), the White Canary, a trained assassin; Professor Martin Stein (Victor Garber) and Jefferson “Jax” Jackson (Franz Drameh), who together form the meta-human Firestorm; and Mick Rory (Dominic Purcell), aka Heat Wave, a career criminal.
    When the Legends encounter the J.S.A (the Justice Society of America, the precursor to DC’s Justice League) in the 1940s, Amaya Jiwe (Maisie Richardson-Sellers), aka Vixen, joins the team. While the team reunites, a mystery looms – the fate of former captain Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill).

Once reunited, the Legends continue their new mission to protect the timeline from temporal aberrations – unusual changes to history that spawn potentially catastrophic consequences. When Nate, the grandson of J.S.A. member Commander Steel, unexpectedly finds himself with powers, he must overcome his own insecurities and find the hero within himself. Ultimately, the Legends will clash with foes both past and present, to save the world from a mysterious new threat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oddly, Legends seems like the least appeasing of the synopsis. It's like they (the showrunners) aren't quite sure (still) where they're going to take the show, though I'll reserve the right to judge until I watch it. There were quite a few inconsistencies in the first season, though I guess that's to be expected where time travel is involved. I often find though that to enjoy any show with time travel in, you've literally just got to switch off.

What I am interested in however is Barry, Kara, and Flashpoint. We know that Barry creates a new time timeline, presumably Kara doesn't exist on the same Earth in this one. He's also going to have to reset the timeline (again) at some point, which I can only conclude is going to result in another Flashpoint, this time it'll be where the multiverse ... merges, and all Earths become one.

I'm not going to begin to try and understand how that's going to affect a whole number of people; quite possibly it'll just be Barry wiping a whole collection of people from existence. If there's multiple people of the same, and they're all merged, that's a loss of millions, billions or even trillions of identities lost. Unless I'm also missing something, Superman (and Batman for that matter) were referenced in Legends Season 1, so presumably Rip Hunter is aware of Superman, yet the timeline hasn't gone through the Flashpoint change yet to enable Superman to exist within that timeline, so how does Rip know?

My head hurts again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's multiple people of the same, and they're all merged, that's a loss of millions, billions or even trillions of identities lost.

The general gist, as I've understood it, is that the mirror worlds are more clones of the original Earth-1 so it's more like we saw on Earth-2 - an alternative universe where things happen differently.

So yeah I guess, technically they're loads of different identities but I've always just seen them as mirror versions of the original Earth-1 person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The general gist, as I've understood it, is that the mirror worlds are more clones of the original Earth-1 so it's more like we saw on Earth-2 - an alternative universe where things happen differently.

So yeah I guess, technically they're loads of different identities but I've always just seen them as mirror versions of the original Earth-1 person.
    That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. If there's more than one Earth, then presumably there's more than one of everything in the universe. I wasn't aware the multiverse was just an Earth thing, I thought it was a cosmic one.

That being the case, where are Kara, Clark and the Supergirl characters from Earth 1's perspective?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. If there's more than one Earth, then presumably there's more than one of everything in the universe. I wasn't aware the multiverse was just an Earth thing, I thought it was a cosmic one.

That being the case, where are Kara, Clark and the Supergirl characters from Earth 1's perspective?

It makes perfect sense, all 52 other universes are just mirrors of Earth-1 in cannon. Think of it as the trousers of time, from a random fixed point things diverged from Earth-1's course into the other 51 Earths, each one independent of the others but all mirrors of the original.

Kara and Clark aren't on Earth-1 because they weren't on Earth-1 at the point it split into the multiverse presumably and we don't know if James Olsen and the rest exist as there's been no reason for Earth-1 characters to come across them.

The DC multiverse is just 52 different versions of Earth.
    Source: During the event Infinite Crisis, the Universe was "splintered" and the original Multiverse was restored briefly, showing that the entire Hypertime and many other appearances of the DC characters, were part of the original Multiverse, including Tangent Comics which were published 12 years after the Multiverse was no more.
    In the end of Infinite Crisis, the multiverse is merged back as a New Earth with a new continuity with many stories re-written and many others from the Modern Age still happening.

The new restored universe with only 52 worlds opened myriad possibilities for new stories and crossovers with different versions of heroes interacting with the main versions of heroes as well as the stories resulting from the new integrated characters from Milestone and Wildstorm.
    However, it became chaotic in just 5 years. Many stories and situations of other Universes were not followed well. The number designations could be completely disregarded from story to story and some universes were recreated over and over.

In addition, as most of the history of the Modern Age was still being the main continuity, younger readers could not follow the stories of the mainstream versions of the DC Heroes, just as had happened prior to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Personally I've always found it's easiest to just go with the flow when it comes to DC's multiverse. As they say:
    This concept of parallel Earths with differences in locations, persons and historical events became a very important ingredient within DC Comics' publications. It helped (among other things) to explain continuity errors, retell and retcon stories and incorporate foreign elements that could actively interact with everything else and allowing them to have an "existence".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It makes perfect sense, all 52 other universes are just mirrors of Earth-1 in cannon. Think of it as the trousers of time, from a random fixed point things diverged from Earth-1's course into the other 51 Earths, each one independent of the others but all mirrors of the original.

Kara and Clark aren't on Earth-1 because they weren't on Earth-1 at the point it split into the multiverse presumably and we don't know if James Olsen and the rest exist as there's been no reason for Earth-1 characters to come across them.

The DC multiverse is just 52 different versions of Earth.
    If it's just Earth that has 52 different versions of itself, then what specifically enables an alien (in this case, a Kryptonian) to land on one Earth and not one of the other 51? Furthermore, what are the chances that both Kara and Clark would end up on the same one?

if the multiverse isn't specific to Earth, and does indeed conduct the entire universe, then there are 52 different universes out there. This means that once merged, there's 51 versions of people, aliens, animal life and what not that's going to be erased.

I can't make sense of it to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's just Earth that has 52 different versions of itself, then what specifically enables an alien (in this case, a Kryptonian) to land on one Earth and not one of the other 51? Furthermore, what are the chances that both Kara and Clark would end up on the same one?

if the multiverse isn't specific to Earth, and does indeed conduct the entire universe, then there are 52 different universes out there. This means that once merged, there's 51 versions of people, aliens, animal life and what not that's going to be erased.

I can't make sense of it to be honest.

As I said, think of it as the trousers of time, the waistband is the starting point - Earth-1 - and as you go down the trousers, the timeline diverges into two separate legs Earth-1 continues down the left leg, the altered timeline happens down the right leg.

In the DC multiverse it diverges into 52 different legs, all a mirror of the first one so different things can occur.
    So yes, the aliens etc all still exist in the other mirrors but Earth is the anchoring factor in them. On Earth-1 at the point the timeline split, Kara and Kal-El hadn't arrived on the planet. After the timeline split, they arrived on Earth (whatever number as they still haven't said which it is), and their life within their mirror Earth/universe continued on its way.

When the multiverse ends, the timeline returns to the waistband, before the legs split off so while, in theory you are seeing the end of 51 other alternatives, that's all they were, alternative timelines from the master copy Earth-1.

Like I said before, it's easier to just go with the flow than try and make it make logical sense, it doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like I said before, it's easier to just go with the flow than try and make it make logical sense, it doesn't.
    I think I'll just have to go and do this. I am further curious though whether Barry will remember any of these events, and more importantly, whether it affects the wave rider team; if they're ravelling through time, is that multiverse time, or earth 1 timeline, and if the multiverse were to collapse would the wave rider team know about it? They know about changes to the timeline, whereas those in the timeline are oblivious, so would they further be oblivious to the collapse of the multiverse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'll just have to go and do this. I am further curious though whether Barry will remember any of these events, and more importantly, whether it affects the wave rider team; if they're ravelling through time, is that multiverse time, or earth 1 timeline, and if the multiverse were to collapse would the wave rider team know about it? They know about changes to the timeline, whereas those in the timeline are oblivious, so would they further be oblivious to the collapse of the multiverse?

Multiverse in DC parlance generally refers to the interconnected superhero comics - i.e. Batman exists in Gotham, Superman in Metropolis, Green Arrow in Star City etc, but they're all within the same mutiverse .- Earth-1. Or Earth-One to give it its "proper" name :D

The LoT team generally act outside of the timeline but, in any case, they would be included in Earth-1's timeline not one of the other planets as that's their parent mulitiverse.

The way the mirror worlds are all set up is that they vibrate at a different frequency to Earth-1 and that's how Barry was able to end up on Earth-(whatever it is) with Supergirl, he just happened to hit the right frequency.
    Same with opening the wormhole portals to Earth-2, they found the right vibration frequency to do so.

The way the trailers are showing things, it looks like Barry is the only one to know he's outside the timeline on Earth-1.

This Wiki article is quite useful for the various different main multiverses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DC_Multiverse_worlds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting this in here as it's for the crossover episode. The CW just revealed who the villains are going to be.

Here.

Here.

Wiki info.

Cool that they're going retro with the bad guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The LoT team generally act outside of the timeline but, in any case, they would be included in Earth-1's timeline not one of the other planets as that's their parent mulitiverse.

The way the mirror worlds are all set up is that they vibrate at a different frequency to Earth-1 and that's how Barry was able to end up on Earth-(whatever it is) with Supergirl, he just happened to hit the right frequency. Same with opening the wormhole portals to Earth-2, they found the right vibration frequency to do so.
    I get all that, but if the multiverse merges then the timeline ultimately changes. From the perspective of the Legends, there are no Kryptonians on Earth. Post Flashpoint, there will be. Do the Legends then notice that change? If one moment Kara and Clark don't exist (on Earth 1) and then the next they do, presumably that change would throw up an alert with Rip and the team?
    Putting this in here as it's for the crossover episode. The CW just revealed who the villains are going to be.

Here.

Here.

Wiki info.

Cool that they're going retro with the bad guys.
    Interesting. Would think they'd need a little more than four episodes to tell that story though, but as with everything else, I'll reserve judgement until I've more to go on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get all that, but if the multiverse merges then the timeline ultimately changes.

No they return to the original time line so the others simply cease to exist :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No they return to the original time line so the others simply cease to exist :)
    But surely that would flag up on the wave rider? If there's a change in the timeline, there's an alert; that's how it worked in the first series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then they would just let it split into multiverses again and then eventually use it to reboot the DC-TVU constantly when they need to do it!

Well thats what happens in the comics as DC use it a big event as constant thing to reboot the whole universe

Although i can't see multiverses going anywhere for the moment as they have only recently been introduced in Flash season 2!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Then they would just let it split into multiverses again and then eventually use it to reboot the DC-TVU constantly when they need to do it!

Well thats what happens in the comics as DC use it a big event as constant thing to reboot the whole universe

Although i can't see multiverses going anywhere for the moment as they have only recently been introduced in Flash season 2!
    I would seem they are going somewhere. If Supergirl and Manhunter (at least) are involved in the crossover event, it stands to reason that the Earth's will be merged by this point. I don't think there's been any mention of Superman yet, though it stands to reason he'll be around for it.

Flashpoint is only suppose to last a few episodes, though unless I'm mistaken, when Barry fixes Flashpoint (in the comics) he doesn't go back to his original timeline, but rather, another new one that's almost exactly the same. If they take this route (which is likely) then that could be the cause of the multiverse collapse.

It would be a little lame of them to introduce Kid Flash for a mere few episodes. Presumably he's going to exist in some fashion in all versions of the timeline from hereon out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flashpoint in the comics was used to reboot the whole DC comic universe but we dont know what The CW has planned for the other shows like Arrow etc by the effects felt by Flashpoint, how they plan to bring Supergirl into the CW universe and also is Flashpoint in the DC-TVU just going to be a timeline correction to bring Kid Flash into the main show?

By the way i wish we could see superhero fight club 2.0 in the UK!