Daytime Programming on the BBC ~ what would you do?

2»

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly is, in fact gouging ones eyes out with a rusty fork , watching paint dry or taking a trip round the national paper clip museum would yeild more entertainment.
    Or maybe people who find Daytime TV so excrutiating could find another channel to watch, or simply do something else (and meanwhile those that DO enjoy Daytime TV can continue to derive something from the programming).
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I hope you're joking, BBC1 trounces ITV1 every weekday morning nowadays. On Monday I think it was, This Morning only had 900,000 viewers and Loose Women had about 800,000 (and I don't need to say how not well Daybreak is doing because that's well documented).

The only bright spot in ITV1's line-up is Jeremy Kyle which has more viewers than the other ITV shows around it.

As noted in the Ratings Thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=50803738&postcount=724

Homes Under The Hammer had 1.42m (31.5%) to This Mornings 871k (20.2%) on Tuesday.

Indeed. I do feel certain DS boardmembers are a bit sniffy about Daytime TV. It is what it is, and it's popular with the audience who are actually there to watch it at the time.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    If you could decide what goes on the various BBC channels during the day ~ what would you do?

I would get rid of the endless property/auction shows that are currently on and maybe consider scheduling a This Morning type programme with perhaps more news content in the middle of the morning, after Breakfast.

The programme would be fairly news based during the first hour or so, perhaps even a talk type show like Kilroy used to be, then a more magazine type programme, but with a lot less celebrity items, and definitely no phone in quizzes!

The lunchtime news and local bulleting I would continue with and Doctors (perhaps even consider extending to a one hour programme!), or keep Doctors as it is and show a serial to follow, such as they have done with Missing and Land Girls, taking you into CBBC.

BBC2 would continue with the childrens programming, then... well personally I would be happy with films or maybe programming from the BBC's archives, there must be so many programmes stored away that the public would like to see again.

BBC3/4 I would consider starting to broadcast at lunchtime and would carry sport or would carry current daytime programming during the afternoon when there is sporting events on such as Royal Ascot and Wimbledon, BBC 3 at around 4pm possibly starting to show some programmes that would interest a teenage audience leading to their early evening programming, BBC 4 would carry a chat based programme leading to their early evening programme.

Please be (fairly) gentle with me as I have not started a thread here and I know it can get heated, I just wonder what others would do, if they were Daytime Controller of Programmes.

Simple -

BBC1 - pages from Ceefax with hourly news bulletins, unless there is a major sports or political story in which case run those. Given the Ceefax option may no longer work, the cheapest imported programmes they can lay their hands on. Frankly there's no need for original production at that time of the day and the dumbed down 'lifestyle' programmes they do could easily be culled.

BBC2 - Schools programmes with a Cbeebies slot mid-morning.

Miles cheaper than anything they do and arguably better quality.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Simple -

BBC1 - pages from Ceefax with hourly news bulletins, unless there is a major sports or political story in which case run those. Given the Ceefax option may no longer work, the cheapest imported programmes they can lay their hands on. Frankly there's no need for original production at that time of the day and the dumbed down 'lifestyle' programmes they do could easily be culled.

BBC2 - Schools programmes with a Cbeebies slot mid-morning.

Miles cheaper than anything they do and arguably better quality.
    And for those who currently watch (and derive some pleasure) from existing daytime programmes?
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is true The Daily Debate is alot ilke The Wright Stuff, but it would be more polotical in nature, more like a Daytime version of Question Time with my voice from the public.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think This Morning has, with the occasional exception, been losing out to BBC One in the ratings for nearly ten years.

I'd leave BBC daytime pretty much as it is now. It doesn't cost much, so scrapping things wouldn't save much.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    it is true The Daily Debate is alot ilke The Wright Stuff, but it would be more polotical in nature, more like a Daytime version of Question Time with my voice from the public.

But is there really an audience for a daytime politics show? If there was do you not think that This Morning or The Wright Stuff would have more of it?

While the Beeb shouldn't be chasing ratings the needs to be some public desire for a program I just think that a lot of those who would find it interesting would be at work while your average person at home during the day's political interest would be the more 'personal' side of politics that the other shows do cover
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think the fact ITV isnt doing it, is evidence that the market doesnt exisit, ITV are chasing the most profitable market, ie the largest market that attracts the most advertisers.

That The Wright Stuff can look high brow, is a failure of daytime TV.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    But is there really an audience for a daytime politics show? If there was do you not think that This Morning or The Wright Stuff would have more of it?

There already is one:

The Daily Politics on BBC Two.

I think CBBC should go onto BBC Two in the afternoons. And if the children's channels don't get HD versions, but BBC Two does, the purpose of simulcasting CBBC and CBeebies wouldn't be for the analogue only viewers (none of them after 2012) but it would be so that programmes could be watched in HD (after all if they are made in HD it would be a waste of our money not to show them in HD!).

During this past week, the above idea would have resulted in Royal Ascot staying on BBC One for the whole afternoon, not moving to BBC Two and then BBC Red Button, like it did.

So here's may thoughts on the matter:

On BBC One, the scottish soap River City could be shown nationwide - from the beginning in a daytime slot along with Doctors. Like Neighbours before it, there could be an evening screening of this as well at 5:30 - especially once we've finally said Goodbye to The Weakest Link.

I would say BBC One:
    6:00 Breakfast - live from Salford
    9:00 After 9 - new daily magazine slot (featuring guests that wouldn't want to go to Salford to be on Breakfast!!!)
    9:30 Crimewatch Roadshow
    10:15 Homes Under The Hammer
    11:15 Cash in the Attic
    12:00 River City
    12:30 Doctors
    1:00 BBC News
    1:30 BBC Nations&Regions News
    1:45 Drama
    2:30 Drama
    3:20 BBC News, Regional News and Weather
    3:30 The Clinic - a new advice programme with a regular expert panel on issues pertaining to health, money, property, legal issues and travel. On today's programme, Simon Calder of The Independant on what your rights are when your flight is cancelled, Dom Littlewood on faked goods and Paul Lewis from Moneybox talks about changes to the Pension system.
    4:00 Quiz show.
    4:30 30 minute edition of Bargain Hunt
    5:00 Doctors
    5:30 River City

The drama slots in the afternoon would take existing dramas from the USA along with the original British dramas now screening at times on BBC One. Perhaps it would be a good idea to re-screen some of the earlier "Afternoon Plays" that were shown 5-6 years ago at 2:10pm, seemingly never again, rather than the 100th repeat of Murder, She Wrote.

The morning schedule would still incorporate many of the popular (although hated by some) programmes relating to houses, auctions and antiques that are still pulling in the viewers. Bargain Hunt has a cult following, so I think it would boost the late afternoon schedule, with an alternative to Midsomer Murders or DOND. The invented 3:30pm programme is an idea how to make a PSB daytime magazine programme - open to suggestions. And no, I don't think a return of Esther is needed for this slot :p.

BBC Two:
    6:00 CBeebies
    7:00 CBBC
    8:30 CBeebies
    9:30 - 12:00 Factual programmes, such as:
    09:30 Wainwrights Walks
    10:00 Who Do You Think You Are?
    11:00 Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain
    12:00 Daily Politics (Wednesday from 1100 - 1300 due to PMQs)
    12:30 GMT
    1:00 Repeat of last night's 8pm hour or a daytime showing of a programme that was on BBC Four last night.
    2:00 Afternoon Matinee. Classic British cinema.
    3:30 Factual/documentary, e.g. Animal Park
    4:15 - 6:00 CBBC
    including Blue Peter at 5:30.

Admittedly, a lot of repeats on BBC Two - but cheap, different from current content - reducing the overall reliance on CBBC and CBeebies in the mornings in particular, but keeping a presence for HD purposes (see above). BBC Two with an emphasis on high brow programmes for a more maturer audiance during the day. With regards the repeat hour at 1pm - I've seen in other countries how a primetime programme is reshown again within 24 hours - and bearing in mind there isn't a +1 BBC Two channel. During the past three weeks that 1pm slot could have reshown Springwatch, for example.
    According to reports, the future of BBC Two daytime is uncertain - with no more schools programmes and the justification of showing children's programmes. One of the alternatives is relaying BBC News Channel. This would be a shame as the UKTV channels seem to have plenty of BBC content to fill their schedules during the day!
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Personally, I would probably put on a couple of quiz shows on about 9.30am to 10.30am.

Crosswits followed by 15 to 1 would be a nice addition to BBC1s morning schedule.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    BBC1 should definitely revamp its daytime line up entirely. i think it should adopt the formula of news/magazine/entertainment shows that started in america and are working very well in both commercial and Public broadcasters across Europe.

0600 Breakfast

0900 Current Affairs Analysis Programme
    Have guest contributors (journalists etc) discussing the news stories etc.

1000 Morning Live magazine
    News and entertainment.
    Very current affairs based and to make it affordable use the BBC News 24 team to contribute with live links etc. Also have lighter features, and some variety as extras to the main pillar (Current affairs)

1230 Food programme

1300 Lunchtime News

1345 Doctors

1415 Medical Issues / Healthy Living Programme

1500 Discussion programme
    In the vein of Kilroy

1625 News

1630 Public Service programmes
    Missing, Crimewatch Daytime

1715 Quiz Programme

All the current Property, Cash in the attic etc type shows I would transfer to BBC2.

I would also revamp BBC2 to includ all the above mentioned current BBC1 programmes, and also include drama (Diagnosis Murder etc) and perhaps a film.

CBBC Programmes would be eliminated from both BBC1 and 2 after DSO with everyone haing access to CBBC and Cbeebies.

Some really good suggestions here. The "1715 Quiz Programme" slot I particularly like- I'm guessing this could incorporate a promotion of Pointless and Eggheads to BBC1, right?

Just out of interest, according to the schedule above, where would you slot the BBC's daytime dramas? Like Land Girls, Moving On etc. The 1630 slot, maybe, seeing as Missing, Crimewatch and so on don't run all year round?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 should screen old British films , Laurel & Hardy , Charlie Chaplin , Will Hay , Keaton , LLoyd ,& Phil Silvers , & other assorted gems form its extensive back catalogue of drama,s natural history , & sit coms. The OU programmes should also be re shown. Then at 3pm childrens programmes for the 13-16 age group should be screened until 6pm when the 90mins of windbagging at national & local level starts / rest of the nights threadbare tat.

BBC2 should show childrens programmes for for pre schoolers from 5.30am till 6.30pm. Then it should show the suff that BBC4 puts out along with BBC3's good bits.

This would allow for BBC3/4 to be cut , Cbeebies & CBBC to be axed, it would save a fortune & get less doing more.

From midnight till 6am BBC1 should go off air. Or screen the test card & pages from ceefax.

:)

Phil Silvers. Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy? Hope you were not suggesting them as gems of British Cinema...American all the way.
    Why shut down at midnight? After the news finishes at 10.35 as a shift worker I sometimes watch the late night output (though I am in bed by 1am at the latest).
    Maybe better use of the time after the news would be
    Monday - Gritty Documentary till about 11.30. Then a re run of a weekend drama Casualty maybe.
    Tuesday - Some comedy for half an hour, film
    Wednesday - National Lottery, a BBC3 or 4 showcase/football, Holby City
    Thurs - Question Time/Politics or during the summer, a series catch up slot/re-run, Sherlock, Upstairs Downstairs, Torchwood etc
    Fri - It's the weekend can't the BBC be allowed to broadcast until 1am or even 2am?

I cam guess when you work 9-5 late night TV seems a waste of time, and since the demise of Sportsnight which was one reason I used to stay up late when I was doing 9-5 shifts. Seems little on, but we are a economy with a large service sector and by default those services can't all work 9-5 as there would be no business for them. Imagine Tesco closing at 8pm like they used to...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Some really good suggestions here. The "1715 Quiz Programme" slot I particularly like- I'm guessing this could incorporate a promotion of Pointless and Eggheads to BBC1, right?

Just out of interest, according to the schedule above, where would you slot the BBC's daytime dramas? Like Land Girls, Moving On etc. The 1630 slot, maybe, seeing as Missing, Crimewatch and so on don't run all year round?

:o Thanks :D

Yep, the Quiz slot could incorporate those and alternate them, and perhaps another one, in order to avoid wearing out the formats with a constant run.

The drama slot I would place at 215pm. I think it could keep the Doctors crowd directly after, and it could alternate with the medical / healthy living series.

I would keep Public TV at 430pm, and if need be find other formats to complement Crimewatch Daily and Missing / Search type shows. There are other formats that could potentially air in the same slot and alternate.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I'd do:

BBC1:

9.15am As current (topical formats)
    10.00 On the Box (A preview of the days best TV and top news as well as a daily Points of View segment)
    10.30 Homes Under The Hammer
    11.30 Doctors (yesterdays episode)
    12.00 Watchdog Daily
    12.30 Daytime Quiz (Pointless from BBC2)
    1.00 BBC News
    1.30 Regional News
    1.45 Doctors (todays episode)
    2.15 Bargain Hunt
    3.00 Real Rescues
    3.45 Cash in the Attic
    4.15 Escape to the Country
    5.15 Diagnosis Murder

BBC2

6.00 CBBC/Cbeebies
    11.00 Classic Comedy
    11.30 BBC News/Daily Politics
    12.30 Working Lunch
    1.00 BBC News/Daily Politics
    3.00 BBC News Update
    3.15 CBBC
    5.30 Pointless (repeated tomorrow on BBC1)
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see they are now showing Only Fools & Horses at 2:10 daily on BBC One, definitely a change, but I'm not sure it's quite the right programming choice for that time of day:confused:?
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get Neighbours back on the BBC, minus the dreadful filmic effect inflicted on us since it moved to Channel 5, three and a half years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    If you could decide what goes on the various BBC channels during the day ~ what would you do?

I would get rid of the endless property/auction shows that are currently on and maybe consider scheduling a This Morning type programme with perhaps more news content in the middle of the morning, after Breakfast.

The programme would be fairly news based during the first hour or so, perhaps even a talk type show like Kilroy used to be, then a more magazine type programme, but with a lot less celebrity items, and definitely no phone in quizzes!

The lunchtime news and local bulleting I would continue with and Doctors (perhaps even consider extending to a one hour programme!), or keep Doctors as it is and show a serial to follow, such as they have done with Missing and Land Girls, taking you into CBBC.

BBC2 would continue with the childrens programming, then... well personally I would be happy with films or maybe programming from the BBC's archives, there must be so many programmes stored away that the public would like to see again.

BBC3/4 I would consider starting to broadcast at lunchtime and would carry sport or would carry current daytime programming during the afternoon when there is sporting events on such as Royal Ascot and Wimbledon, BBC 3 at around 4pm possibly starting to show some programmes that would interest a teenage audience leading to their early evening programming, BBC 4 would carry a chat based programme leading to their early evening programme.

Please be (fairly) gentle with me as I have not started a thread here and I know it can get heated, I just wonder what others would do, if they were Daytime Controller of Programmes.

Basically, ITV is now a chavvy, soapy, reality, cheap and tacky network. I rely on the BBC to provide me with quality and variety. So here goes...

BBC1
    • I would extend Breakfast to 9.30...
    • Start a 'Good Morning...with Ann and Nick' type show from 9.30 - 12.30, but do a 'One Show' on it rather than a 'This Morning'.
    • Bring Neighbours back to BBC1 from 12.30 - 1.00
    • 1.00 News.
    • Going For Gold from 1.30 - 2.00
    • Doctors from 2.00 - 2.30
    • 2.30 - 3.30 hour I would rote. I would make it 'Comedy Hour', 'Drama Hour', 'Creative Hour' and 'Feel Good Hour'
    • Children's BBC from 3.30 - 5.30 (it is important to convey that Children's BBC is still important.
    • Neighbours from 5.30 - 6.00
    • 6.00 News

BBC2

I would probably keep the current mix of more serious programming...Daily Politics, Business, Money, Newsey, Childrens Mid Morning.

Afternoons, I would have a 'From Back In The Day' slots...popular programmes / shows from the archives.

BBC3 - keep current programming but make it flexible so that it can carry sporting events as and when so that the schedules on BBC1 are messed around with. I would start it earlier to...at about 12.00

BBC4 - keep as is.

Ban all repetitive, dull competitions. They drive me insane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem for BBC1 is This Morning, anything the Beeb puts up in that slot gets trounced. In the 90s, they tried Good Morning with Anne and Nick from Pebble Mill. A Kilroy format would be too expensive, so the endless property and auction shows are a viable alternative.

After DSO, is it even viable to have the network versions of CBBC and CBeebies? Most if not all homes with that target audience will watch those channels without the need for a BBC1/2 slot.

Have you seen the pap that is 'This Morning'..especially since Fern left? I would watch a better version on the BBC, especially if the Schofield was nowhere near.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Sounds very much like The Wright Stuff on Five (which is actually quite good for an occasional break from auction-mania on BBC1).

I love The Wright Stuff. Informative, interesting and entertaining all at once. It is obviously successful because they have extended the format by an hour. I'd rather watch Matt than Jeremy Vile and/or Schof any day of the week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    BBC1 should definitely revamp its daytime line up entirely. i think it should adopt the formula of news/magazine/entertainment shows that started in america and are working very well in both commercial and Public broadcasters across Europe.

0600 Breakfast

0900 Current Affairs Analysis Programme
    Have guest contributors (journalists etc) discussing the news stories etc.

1000 Morning Live magazine
    News and entertainment.
    Very current affairs based and to make it affordable use the BBC News 24 team to contribute with live links etc. Also have lighter features, and some variety as extras to the main pillar (Current affairs)

1230 Food programme

1300 Lunchtime News

1345 Doctors

1415 Medical Issues / Healthy Living Programme

1500 Discussion programme
    In the vein of Kilroy

1625 News

1630 Public Service programmes
    Missing, Crimewatch Daytime

1715 Quiz Programme

All the current Property, Cash in the attic etc type shows I would transfer to BBC2.

I would also revamp BBC2 to includ all the above mentioned current BBC1 programmes, and also include drama (Diagnosis Murder etc) and perhaps a film.

CBBC Programmes would be eliminated from both BBC1 and 2 after DSO with everyone haing access to CBBC and Cbeebies.

The BBC already has Holby City, Casualty and Doctors. It doesn't want to go to heavy on health.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    The problem is with so many of the suggestions here you are asking for the BBC to effectively do what the other stations are doing.

To do a "This Morning" or "Wright Stuff" style show (Or even bring back a Jeremy Kyle style show) would be a waste as viewers of this kind of show will already be tuning into the existing shows. Even Old movies is something that C4 does most days

The current shows do well because they appeal to a demographic that likes those kinds of shows and aren't offered by the other channels and why revamp it with something that the rest of the channels are doing. A revamp is only really needed if someone comes up with something new thats likely to appeal to the demo who is watching TV in the daytime (And in the morning IMHO programming which requires your full attention is imho a waste, I suspect most people watching tv at this time are doing so while doing something else so a drama that would require your attention isn't a good idea)

But the BBC can do better versions. What was that discussion show on BBC1 on Sunday's called? It was really good. I would watch that. Studio audience with real experts and real specialists.

ITV is lowest common denominator tv surviving only on sensationalism, interrupted only by competitions and ads every ten.