Options

Could EU exit lead to a break up of the UK ?

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What if Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland wish to pursue EU membership of their own if the UK withdrew from the EU ? can totally see an EU exit leading to the break up of the United Kingdom.

Comments

• Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its interesting to note that the Scottish NP were wanting a no vote to the common market in 1975.Now SNP is pro EU.
    If Scotland votes for independance.in 2014 would the SNP allow a Cameron referendum in 2017?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would differ in each country, I think.

Northern Ireland benefits heavily from EU grants which likely wouldn't be replaced by the UK, and the ensuing economic turbulence in the UK would mean a reduction in the bloc grant that funds NI, so life there would become very hard very quickly. But for it to want out of the UK, the unionists would have to blame Westminster/England for it all and I think they're probably too dogmatic to do so.

Scotland would likely want out, since they're the only nation besides England that have a functioning economy and wouldn't be happy with the lurch to the right that England would take the UK in.

Wales would probably be happy to stay, since public opinion there is usually in line with England.

I think the only country that would be likely to leave would be Scotland, but Scotland leaving would probably do more to convince Wales, NI or even England to leave than the EU exit itself.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would ONLY be the POLITICAL UNION of britain ..... heaven forbid our island ACTUALLY broke up :D
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its interesting to note that the Scottish NP were wanting a no vote to the common market in 1975.Now SNP is pro EU.
    If Scotland votes for independance.in 2014 would the SNP allow a Cameron referendum in 2017?

If scotland votes yes for independence next year, that doesn't mean scotland is independent from that moment. All the thrashing out of who gets to keep the cat in the divorce settlement would have to take place and once done, a date agreed for scotland officially becoming an independent country. Scotland would still be in the UK until that date arrives. So, if that hasn't happened before Cameron's (I'll believe it when I see it), referendum on the EU, then the SNP wouldn't be able to block a referendum happening. And, if it happened after one or the other smugly walks away with the cat, then it would be none of the SNP's business.

Either way, if Westminster Gov decides to offer a referendum to the people of the UK, then it's not for the SNP to allow or disallow it.
  • Options
    rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    jy1541 wrote: »
    It would differ in each country, I think.

Northern Ireland benefits heavily from EU grants which likely wouldn't be replaced by the UK, and the ensuing economic turbulence in the UK would mean a reduction in the bloc grant that funds NI, so life there would become very hard very quickly. But for it to want out of the UK, the unionists would have to blame Westminster/England for it all and I think they're probably too dogmatic to do so.

Scotland would likely want out, since they're the only nation besides England that have a functioning economy and wouldn't be happy with the lurch to the right that England would take the UK in.

Wales would probably be happy to stay, since public opinion there is usually in line with England.

I think the only country that would be likely to leave would be Scotland, but Scotland leaving would probably do more to convince Wales, NI or even England to leave than the EU exit itself.

I live in Wales and I guarantee you there would be a huge yes to the EU, we in Wales benefit really well being in EU - we were on about this in work the other day and we all said stay in EU (there was an English man in this vote too), I would like to see the end to the UK because unions within unions will not work (see USA) and a USE will be the ultimate outcome in time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    rtavy73 wrote: »
    I live in Wales and I guarantee you there would be a huge yes to the EU, we in Wales benefit really well being in EU - we were on about this in work the other day and we all said stay in EU (there was an English man in this vote too), I would like to see the end to the UK because unions within unions will not work (see USA) and a USE will be the ultimate outcome in time.

Depends where you are in Wales, there are a lot of anti-EU people too. I'd say its a roughly even split, much like the existence of the Welsh Assembly.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this view isn't fashionable of late, but I just don't see us 'exiting' the EU or the break up the United Kingdom happening any time soon, if at all. Things will change and things will be renegociated to better suit the current economic/poltical climate, but actual exits and wholesale break-ups are unlikely, even with forthcoming referenda IMHO.
  • Options
    1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it but I told you so. 5 years on and I told you so.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    The Disunited Kingdom is on it's last legs thanks to Cameron and the Brexiters.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »

hopefully..
  • Options
    San Fran SaraSan Fran Sara Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    The Disunited Kingdom is on it's last legs thanks to Cameron and the Brexiters.

Still peddling lies and nonsense
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    I know this view isn't fashionable of late, but I just don't see us 'exiting' the EU or the break up the United Kingdom happening any time soon, if at all. Things will change and things will be renegociated to better suit the current economic/poltical climate, but actual exits and wholesale break-ups are unlikely, even with forthcoming referenda IMHO.

Boy, I bet you feel a bit stupid now. To be fair, I probably would've agreed with you, but I never wrote it down in a public forum.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Still peddling lies and nonsense

Except he's entirely right. Scotland are going to go for independence again and this time they're going to get it because the Scottish are outraged that we've taken them out of the EU when the whole reason they stayed with us was to stay in the EU.

North Ireland are also heavily lenient on EU funding as are Wales and Cornwall so all of them are likely to become independent (yes, even Cornwall)

If you really think Brexiters haven't just doomed the "United Kingdom" as we know it then I don't know what to tell you, you're in for a few surprises in the coming years
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    Since when does a post made in 2013 equal 5 years in 2016?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the easiest way would be for England to go it alone and let the rest of the UK (or perhaps the DK) stay in the EU?
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the easiest way would be for England to go it alone and let the rest of the UK (or perhaps the DK) stay in the EU?
    Scotland wouldn't even be accepted to the EU.
    Spain would veto based upon it's own problems with Catalan independence.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to let the Scots, all 5 million of them ( little more than half the population of greater London) take their over sized ego's to the EU....... If they'll have them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except he's entirely right. Scotland are going to go for independence again and this time they're going to get it because the Scottish are outraged that we've taken them out of the EU when the whole reason they stayed with us was to stay in the EU.

North Ireland are also heavily lenient on EU funding as are Wales and Cornwall so all of them are likely to become independent (yes, even Cornwall)

If you really think Brexiters haven't just doomed the "United Kingdom" as we know it then I don't know what to tell you, you're in for a few surprises in the coming years

He is not right, for starter they cannot fund the current budget they have out of general taxation, an independent Scotland would have to drastically cut public services, an independent Scotland is not getting EU membership because Spain will veto its application.

Sturgeon doe not have the power to call Indy 2 and she knows it, I'm pro remain but I knew full well even from my home in San Fran that every vote was equal, the U.K. Joined as a union, it's leaving as a union.

The SNP are utterly devoid of intelligence if they actually believe leaving one Union to enter into another where they will have to cede sovereignty over taxation,immigration to unelected foreigners, the EU with Schengen and free movement is partly to blame for the Brexit but blame also needs to be laid at the door or spineless politicians who ignored the electorate and voted for what was in their best interests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland wouldn't even be accepted to the EU.
    Spain would veto based upon it's own problems with Catalan independence.

Correct, France would veto as well and I'm certain German taxpayers are not keen on another expensive mouth to feed at the table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is not right, for starter they cannot fund the current budget they have out of general taxation, an independent Scotland would have to drastically cut public services, an independent Scotland is not getting EU membership because Spain will veto its application.

Sturgeon doe not have the power to call Indy 2 and she knows it, I'm pro remain but I knew full well even from my home in San Fran that every vote was equal, the U.K. Joined as a union, it's leaving as a union.

The SNP are utterly devoid of intelligence if they actually believe leaving one Union to enter into another where they will have to cede sovereignty over taxation,immigration to unelected foreigners, the EU with Schengen and free movement is partly to blame for the Brexit but blame also needs to be laid at the door or spineless politicians who ignored the electorate and voted for what was in their best interests.

This^^^^
  • Options
    speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Rather than a break up of the UK I would be happy for independence for each of the countries of the U.K. but then to create some kind of superstate similar in style to the EU i.e single market, common currency, free movement of people, common defence policy etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, France would veto as well and I'm certain German taxpayers are not keen on another expensive mouth to feed at the table.

Blimey SF Sara, don't believe in sugar coating things do you... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speedyboi wrote: »
    Rather than a break up of the UK I would be happy for independence for each of the countries of the U.K. but then to create some kind of superstate similar in style to the EU i.e single market, common currency, free movement of people, common defence policy etc.

Without cross funding of each of the countries?, each paying for their services via taxation?........
  • Options
    mermaid05mermaid05 Posts: 5,163
    Forum Member
    Considering Sturgeon has just invited the world into Scotland ...as is everyone, and they go it alone........does that mean the English don't have to pay for Wales , Scotland and NI.......and Mutti can look after their problems.

Good luck with that! :D
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer - yes it could lead to the break up of the UK.