Options

JSA Couple Rate Should It Be Reviewed ?

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just learned that the Couples rate of JSA is £113 a week paid Fortnightly into one persons bank account. I was thinking how unfair this is. when the weekly rate for a single is 70ish quid a week. So 140ish if your single and 113ish (each) if your living with an unemployed partner fortnightly. Firstly paying both peoples money into one account could throw one half of the couple into poverty if the claimant does not give them any money. It also potentially makes an abusive partner much better off. It's not hard to imagine how this could be abused. For instance an abusive husband/boyfriend could keep every penny and use it for drink or drugs.

Also if a couple are living together they are being forced no matter how close they actually are to give up massive chunks of independence and individuality making one person utterly reliant on the other.

It also creates a situation where it is easier and finacially better for the couple to live apart and have two council houses/rents paid via Housing benefit.

There seems to be two answers to this

1) Have the state legislate that two unemployed people living apart in a relationship MUST move in together after a set period of time or

2) Award couples the same rate of JSA as singles.

There are also potentially human rights issues with the current set up ie Privacy (a couple may want to keep bank details and NI numbers private from their partners).

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've basically forgotten that it's cumulatively cheaper to live together, hence the lower rate.

When there's only one house/flat then there's only one electric bill, one TV Licence, one water bill, one washing machine.. etc

It's cheaper for two people to share all of these things rather than them having one each.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSA levels should be the same rate that The Government says that OAPs need to live on.

i.e.

£142.70 for a single person and £217.90 for couples
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    JSA levels should be the same rate that The Government says that OAPs need to live on.

i.e.

£142.70 for a single person and £217.90 for couples

Ain't going to happen, under this government or any other government, including a potential Labour government. JSA is designed as a temporary benefit for people between jobs. State pensions are all some people have to live on in their retirement.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You've basically forgotten that it's cumulatively cheaper to live together, hence the lower rate.

When there's only one house/flat then there's only one electric bill, one TV Licence, one water bill, one washing machine.. etc

It's cheaper for two people to share all of these things rather than them having one each.
    yes far be it for me to defend our rock bottom JSA rates, but obviously if two people live together, they can split bills.

You will always end up giving up some of your independence if you live with someone (lets say in a joint tenancy arrangement), that is only going to reflected in benefits as well.

What I dont like is the idea that the money goes into one count, the two people should have separate claims, and the money split into their bank accounts.

Certainly in terms of an abusive partner, what about sanction, if one person in the couple gets a sanction, will that effect the other person, either whilst they are a couple, or even after they are a couple?

Could you for example, split up with your partner, (not) do something to warrant a sanction, get a job, and sign on yourself, but leave your former partner serving your 6 months sanction?
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    I've just learned that the Couples rate of JSA is £113 a week paid Fortnightly into one persons bank account. I was thinking how unfair this is. when the weekly rate for a single is 70ish quid a week. So 140ish if your single and 113ish (each) if your living with an unemployed partner fortnightly. Firstly paying both peoples money into one account could throw one half of the couple into poverty if the claimant does not give them any money. It also potentially makes an abusive partner much better off. It's not hard to imagine how this could be abused. For instance an abusive husband/boyfriend could keep every penny and use it for drink or drugs.

Also if a couple are living together they are being forced no matter how close they actually are to give up massive chunks of independence and individuality making one person utterly reliant on the other.

It also creates a situation where it is easier and finacially better for the couple to live apart and have two council houses/rents paid via Housing benefit.

There seems to be two answers to this

1) Have the state legislate that two unemployed people living apart in a relationship MUST move in together after a set period of time or

2) Award couples the same rate of JSA as singles.

There are also potentially human rights issues with the current set up ie Privacy (a couple may want to keep bank details and NI numbers private from their partners).

Actually for some people claiming as a couple works better than single claims - for instance when I claimed JSA at the beginning if the year I assumed I would just get the basic JSA, however due to the fact that my Husband is over pension credit age and was only working 12 hours a week I was able to claim a couples JSA.

That was £222 .05 per week less £64 my Husband earned , therefore my JSA was £158.05 per week. And due to his age my Husband was exempt from 'signing on' himself.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Research from uSwitch states that couples are £250k better off compared to their single counterparts over a lifetime:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10892142

As the Government takes into account the greater expense of living alone and that not every person can find a partner, they give more to a single person than a couple. Now if only they could extend this thinking to the Single Occupancy Discount.

It's about the only concessions singles get, normally get the raw deal compared to "hard working families".
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they shouldn't. Pensions are not meant to be a safety net like JSA.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    No they shouldn't. Pensions are not meant to be a safety net like JSA.

What would you suggest then?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you suggest then?
    That JSA be set at a level whereby it never becomes a viable permanent lifestyle support, which is what pensions are.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    That JSA be set at a level whereby it never becomes a viable permanent lifestyle support, which is what pensions are.
    given that we dont even have wages that are a viable permanent life style, we need to focus on the first.