Are LibDems Jumping the Gun?

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Their sayin any future UK Gov should have LibDems in It. What happens at the next GE if theres a hung parlaiment with Labour having the lead and UKIP coming third ?

A Labour UKIP coalition might be a little more feasable than a coalition with the Libdem turncoats.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Lib Dems are so desperate to stay in Government, they'll go with anyone who'll have them.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    Their sayin any future UK Gov should have LibDems in It. What happens at the next GE if theres a hung parlaiment with Labour having the lead and UKIP coming third ?

A Labour UKIP coalition might be a little more feasable than a coalition with the Libdem turncoats.

i'll bet you £1000 that UKIP don't win more seats at the next election than the Lib Dems.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    The Lib Dems are so desperate to stay in Government, they'll go with anyone who'll have them.
    I don't think they'd go with the BNP somehow. :)
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    i'll bet you £1000 that UKIP don't win more seats at the next election than the Lib Dems.
    Given that the next election is the EU election, I'll take that bet :cool:
    Forum Member

Hardly! Labour and Lib Dems are a much more obvious alliance. Labour and UKIP have nothing in common at all. And there's no way UKIP would come third in any case.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

UKIP will be lucky to have more MPs than the green party. That sort of blows your entire thread to pieces if you cant even get that part right.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Can you give even an inkling of which seats UKIP might win?
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Hardly! Labour and Lib Dems are a much more obvious alliance. Labour and UKIP have nothing in common at all. And there's no way UKIP would come third in any case.

Apart from its anti-intervention approach to Syria. Also in certain parts of the UK, UKIP are taking votes away from the old Labour vote. Labour were anti-EU long before the Conservatives, and there's still an old Labour vote that supports withdrawl - there's also a Eurosceptic faction in the parliamentary Labour Party.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

I'm not a UKIP voter, but they have a chance in Boston and Skegness, plus wherever Farage stands, assuming it's not against the Speaker.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I'm not a UKIP voter, but they have a chance in Boston and Skegness, plus wherever Farage stands, assuming it's not against the Speaker.

So, a coaltion partner with a maximum of 2 seats. How likely is that?
    Forum Member
    They need a candidate first ;)
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they have a good chance in Eastleigh and maybe in Grimsby after the Latter has UKIP Councillers(sp) :D
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clegg's right, the government needs the Lib Dems to be a moderating influence. They've done a stellar job keeping the Tories in check. They've stopped their attacks on benefit claimiants, disabled and the working poor. They've stopped them giving tax breaks to the rich. They stopped them trebling tuition fees. They've stopped the cuts to public services. They've stopped the privatisation of Royal Ma..... Oh, wait, no they haven't done any of that, have they?
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. UKIP are already fading. They'll have less sitting MPs in the next Parliament than Sinn Fein.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think in his haste to attack the Lib Dems, 1TrueNorth has jumped the gun himself. I'm not sure we'll see him back in this thread again....
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lib Dems know they won't win a GE outright so it is no surprise their sales pitch is we'll moderate what they refer to as the 'excesses' of the Tories and Labour. The choice for voters is do they want them to do that.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a bit of Cleggy's speech...........he seemed to be claiming that Labour whole strategy was to nick a point or two off the Lib Dems.............

Trying to think of an apt analogy.............perhaps it's like claiming that Churchill's whole strategy in WW2 was aimed at defeating Croatia
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    So, a coaltion partner with a maximum of 2 seats. How likely is that?

It's not impossible, although I think if it came to that the Tories would sooner have a coalition with the DUP.
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The Lib Dems know they won't win a GE outright so it is no surprise their sales pitch is we'll moderate what they refer to as the 'excesses' of the Tories and Labour. The choice for voters is do they want them to do that.
    Well someone bloody well needs to. And who knows, we might then get a government that looks beyond the next election - wouldn't that make a refreshing change?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumped the gun? Just a tad

How do you vote for Nick Clegg to remain the permanent deputy PM anyway?

Last time I looked coalition options didn't appear on a ballot paper.

Then there's that weird non democratic paradox from the party who believe in PR.

They're basically saying that they (as a minority) should be given the opportunity to scupper any manifesto a majority voted for. That's democratic?

My arse.

I applauded Clegg for having the balls to go into the coalition - but that conference speech he just made is all over the place and basically asked the electorate to vote for the other two because he WANTS to come third (how I don't know if you've just declared your own manifesto unfit fot purpose) on the arrogant assumption that his would be the only minority party that could give the winner a working majority.

What a prat.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Someone should ask the Lib Dems how a voter can vote for a hung parliament!

They are finished.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Then there's that weird non democratic paradox from the party who believe in PR.

They're basically saying that they (as a minority) should be given the opportunity to scupper any manifesto a majority voted for. That's democratic?

What majority? You mean 35% of the population majority?

Our democracy is a joke anyway. Whoever we vote for we get the same but with a different colour.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    What majority? You mean 35% of the population majority?

I was thinking of the 65% who in 2010 voted for either Labour or tory manifestos, manifestos that Clegg seems to think he's got a mandate to alter (whichever wins - hence the majority I was refering to) and incorporate ideas from a Lib-Dem manifesto that only polled 25% of the popular vote themselves when their leader's popularity was at an all time high thanks to the debates and they were setting out a case in order to try and win an election.

I'm struggling to see how, 5 years later a much less popular party who are basically asking the electorate to ensure they only come third (somehow) can even win a seat let alone assume they will be appointed kingmaker in a numbers game.

"We are the only party who can see us through this difficult time - but for ****'s sake don't vote for us because we can only achieve it by finishing third" is a strange sales pitch, not least because you can't vote for it.

I'm assuming someone has told Cleggy he lost his AV referendum because that ranking system was about the only way you can tell anyone who you think the third best candidate should be ... :eek:
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »

They're basically saying that they (as a minority) should be given the opportunity to scupper any manifesto a majority voted for.
    No, they are not saying that at all. If a majority voted for a party, that party would be in government alone, with no need for support from the Lib Dems. But no recent elections have seen any party with majority support.
    That's democratic?
    Yes it is. Though adopting PR would be more democratic!
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's hardly jumping the gun and will be a matter of electoral arithmetic.

IF the LDs are the third largest party AND have enough seats to give whoever has the most seats an overall majority they would the logical first choice for both Labour & Tory to go into coalition with.

Far easier to do this with a single organisation rather than trying to stitch together a rainbow coalition of the N Irish sectarians, Greens, Nats etc....and some of them would be demanding policy neither Labour nor the Tories would want to have to live with or implement.