Is Peter Bone about to join UKIP?

AdsAds Posts: 37,057
Forum Member
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/19/two-tory-mps-defect-ukip-wins-rochester-reckless

I think the Tories would be much better without him. Bone's homophobia during the gay marriage debate was just plain nasty and he appears to be a pretty unpleasant and nasty man all round. He doesn't appear to add anything to the House of Parliament, barring insulting gay people and immigrants.

However unlike Reckless and Carswell, Bone will find it pretty had to win is seat on a UKIP ticket. This is probably the main reason he hasn't already jumped the Tory ship.

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No he isn't. Mrs. Bone wont let him.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His even worse next door neighbour, Kettering's Phillip Hollobone, is the more likely defector. Even the local Tories don't like him!
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His even worse next door neighbour, Kettering's Phillip Hollobone, is the more likely defector. Even the local Tories don't like him!

The angry love child of Gollum and Uriah Heep ;-)
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it comes to local elections I think people vote for the party not the person!
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have two sorts of Eurosceptic Tory MP - those that believes the issue is more important than their party and those that don't. Carswell and Reckless obviously are in the former camp, I suspect that Peter Bone is in the latter.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that we have fixed term parliaments is there any cut off point after which there will not be a by-election but the constituency would just go without an MP until the general election

Obviously it would be a bit silly to have a by-election a week before the general election

A month ?

Two months ?

Three months ?

I'm just wondering what the latest date is that any MPs could defect to UKIP and still have a by-election..........if there are more ready to defect then the smart thing to do would be to defect one at a time and have a succession of by-elections to keep the momentum going............how late could they leave it ?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    However unlike Reckless and Carswell, Bone will find it pretty had to win is seat on a UKIP ticket. .
    Weren't the Tories originally saying that about Mark Reckless?
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really depends on whether it looks like Ukip can hold Rochester at the General Election. At the moment it looks like Reckless will win today but lose his seat in May. If Ukip can't convince potential defectors they can hold their seats I doubt we will see any further MPs jumping ship.
  • MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    It really depends on whether it looks like Ukip can hold Rochester at the General Election. At the moment it looks like Reckless will win today but lose his seat in May. If Ukip can't convince potential defectors they can hold their seats I doubt we will see any further MPs jumping ship.

I'm very confident that Reckless will lose his seat next year, he'll definitely win tonight.
  • wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hollobone/bone etc are probably more at home with the britain first
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure this is the case. Rochester is 271st on UKIP's target list. If they can take their 271st target, just imagine what's going through the minds of sitting MPs in the party's top 20, 30 or 40 seats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    Not sure this is the case. Rochester is 271st on UKIP's target list. If they can take their 271st target, just imagine what's going through the minds of sitting MPs in the party's top 20, 30 or 40 seats.

By-elections and General Elections are very different beasts. Polling for the General elections currently shows the Tories would take back the seat in May - Tory MPs are not going to jump ship if they don't believe they can win in May on a Ukip ticket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By-elections and General Elections are very different beasts. Polling for the General elections currently shows the Tories would take back the seat in May - Tory MPs are not going to jump ship if they don't believe they can win in May on a Ukip ticket.

I repeat. This seat is as low down as 271st on UKIPs target list. If the Tories lose this today there will be a large number of very worried sitting MPs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I repeat. This seat is as low down as 271st on UKIPs target list. If the Tories lose this today there will be a large number of very worried sitting MPs.

And I repeat - this is a by-election. By-elections are notoriously unpredictable and never an indicator of which way the upcoming general election will go. If they were, they Lib Dems would have won landslides in 1992, 97, 2001 and 2005.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member

By elections produce protest results. And this one the sitting MP is going to win. How well would some ukip nobody do against a sitting MP
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not sure that's right, I am a local Tory and disagree with his high level of voting against the Government but I do think he is a good Constituency MP.

I think in both Constituencies (Wellingborough And Kettering) they should get both MP's to sign a commitment to hold up Conservative policies (if this is possible) if they cannot, look for other candidates.
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member

Lord Ashcroft
    36%, of those who named a preference said they would vote Conservative in 2015
    35% for UKIP

It's only a 1% lead!
    Forum Member
    WhoMad wrote: »
    Lord Ashcroft
    35% for UKIP

It's only a 1% lead!

In a seat where UKIP will easily won today
    Forum Member
    When is Daniel hannan joining ukip. He's more right wing than Farage and hates the current Tory party
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Ashcroft
    35% for UKIP

It's only a 1% lead!

Indeed. And we are likely to see a lot more of this before May 2015:
    FURY erupted last night over a shock demand for £5.4billion from the European Union.

The surprise claim is likely to further boost Ukip in today’s by-election in Kent. The poll already looks certain to give the party another spectacular victory.

Members of the European *Parliament demanded the cash – including £680million from British taxpayers – to settle unpaid bills. Anti-Brussels campaign groups were outraged last night about the sudden cash demand.Ukip MEP Jonathan Arnott, the party’s spokesman on the EU budget, said: “It is clear that the EU is beyond reform.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/537460/EU-demands-greedy

And this:
    Germany will not grant Britain a temporary moratorium or brake on EU migrant numbers, according to a close ally of Angela Merkel.
    In an extraordinary intervention into Britain’s domestic politics, a delegation of German MPs to the UK this week warned David Cameron not to play to Ukip’s demands on the EU.
    Gunther Krichbaum, chairman of the Bundestag’s European affairs committee, said that Germany was “not in favour of all brakes, moratoria or anything else”, crushing a proposal made by John Major last Sunday to implement a year-long moratorium on migrants to Britain.
    Mr Krichbaum, a Christian Democrat MP close to Ms Merkel, said: “Free movement of persons — this cannot be negotiated. This is a clear message.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4272933.ece
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Ashcroft
    35% for UKIP

It's only a 1% lead!

A lead is a lead. As I said, the current polls show the Tories would retake it. I didn't say they were certain to retake it. The fact that Ukip are 12% ahead of the Tories for today's by-election, but 1 point behind when it comes to the GE, just further proves the point that by-elections are a vehicle for protest votes against the government.

The point is still this: if potential defectors think there's a chance they could lose their seats in May on a Ukip ticket, they will not defect. They're not stupid.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By elections produce protest results. And this one the sitting MP is going to win. How well would some ukip nobody do against a sitting MP

So that's the Tories' excuse sorted then.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If an MP is reasonably competent, respected by the constituents and has a solid voter base then they should win a by election if they defect to another party that has similar political leanings. So it should be no surprise that Carswell, Reckless and whoever else wants to defect will win a by election.

It's different at a GE with other voting factors come in to play. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Reckless wins the by election but then loses that seat at the GE next year.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    If an MP is reasonably competent, respected by the constituents and has a solid voter base then they should win a by election if they defect to another party that has similar political leanings. So it should be no surprise that Carswell, Reckless and whoever else wants to defect will win a by election.

It's different at a GE with other voting factors come in to play. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Reckless wins the by election but then loses that seat at the GE next year.

I agree.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    No he isn't. Mrs. Bone wont let him.

All I will say about Mrs Bone is that she has appalling taste.