Options

Virgin/Stagecoach win East Coast train franchise.

2»

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    What's this Great Northern company you speak of. Thameslink Railway (Govia) have taken over from First Capital Connect (First Group).

That just proves my point. Joe Public will see Thameslink or Great Northern and not have a clue who GTR is. They're merely brands, but it is great damage limitation for Govia given how these are not easy franchises and there's a lot more pain to come before everything is finished and all new trains running in about 2018.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's this Great Northern company you speak of. Thameslink Railway (Govia) have taken over from First Capital Connect (First Group).

Ah okay - the line from Kings Cross to Kings Lynn via Cambridge is now Great Northern.

I guess they are Govia in another name :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    That just proves my point. Joe Public will see Thameslink or Great Northern and not have a clue who GTR is. They're merely brands, but it is great damage limitation for Govia given how these are not easy franchises and there's a lot more pain to come before everything is finished and all new trains running in about 2018.

I think 'Great Northern' is a silly name for something that ends in Kings Lynn!!

Kings Lynn is west Norfolk, in east Anglia :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I think 'Great Northern' is a silly name for something that ends in Kings Lynn!!

Kings Lynn is west Norfolk, in east Anglia :)

Kings Lynn should be thankful that by some miracle, the partly single track line underwent electrification some years ago, whereas a number of double tracked lines on much more major routes, e.g. the GWML and MML are still to this day mostly un-electrified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fen_Line

I mean come on. You've got the GWML running trains every half hour from London to Bristol and the MML running 5 trains an hour to Nottingham, Sheffield and Derby on mostly un-electrified lines, yet what is affectively a branch line, not even double tracked in places, has been electrified. Wtf x 100.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kings Lynn should be thankful that by some miracle, the partly single track line underwent electrification some years ago, whereas a number of double tracked lines on much more major routes, e.g. the GWML and MML are still to this day mostly un-electrified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fen_Line

I mean come on. You've got the GWML running trains every half hour from London to Bristol and the MML running 5 trains an hour to Nottingham, Sheffield and Derby on mostly un-electrified lines, yet what is affectively a branch line, not even double tracked in places, has been electrified. Wtf x 100.

You are right there, for a medium- sized town in rural England, Lynn has a great train service. It's fast and very frequent. I'd say in fact Kings Lynn has a better deal than Norwich's slower service form London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    You are right there, for a medium- sized town in rural England, Lynn has a great train service. It's fast and very frequent. I'd say in fact Kings Lynn has a better deal than Norwich's slower service form London.

Well, according to GTR they are planning on increasing the frequency to/from Kings Lynn to every 30 minutes, from the presumably hourly currently.

Some details in here.
    http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/about-us/connections/

I'm a bit worried about Govia taking over the franchise again, as first time around they were shyte IMO. Time will tell if they make good on their promises.

I have sounded off a rather frank e-mail regarding what they are planning to do, as they wanted feedback. Well, they got a big dollop from me and most of it negative. One point I made was don't try to take credit for the Thameslink Programme. That was going to take place with or without you, and the new trains were paid for out of central government funding. Another point I made was regarding their new (supposedly cheaper) ticketing arrangements. I'll believe it when I see it. Why so long to implement these changes, when there seems to be no problem raising ticket prices year on year, which happens overnight.

In other words, the new company comes out with the usual bollockspiel, just like washing powder adverts claim that washing powder gets better and better with no apparent upper limit.

So in a roundabout way. Here we go with the ECML.

There will be lots of promises, but effectively I've lost confidence (one of many reasons) in UK governments commitment to the railways. The current rolling stock on the ECML was designed for 140mph running. The coaches were even designed to tilt with their profiles. So, what does the TOC do. Remove the tilting equipment and because of lack of government investment, the maximum speed is still restricted to 125mph. We invented tilting trains FFS.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Other than London Bridge, most of the new infrastructure is now in place finally AFAIK, e.g. platform lengthening to accommodate 12 car trains where possible, Farringdon and Blackfriars stations rebuilt and the necessary signalling upgrades. Also, they still have to install the knitting (OLE) and signalling in the tunnel that joins the ECML to the MML, so London St. Pancras International becomes the main London calling point, rather than Kings Cross. Luton Central station has been missed out for now, even though it is in great need of a refurb (meaning IMO, a complete rebuild). So, I'll have to endure that eyesore for a few more years yet.

Besides, all this should have been done by the year 2000, as the project was originally called Thameslink 2000. So, only 18 years late then to complete. It's a ******* joke really, isn't it. The French and Spanish will be laughing their socks off, while they build high speed rail lines like it is going out of fashion.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit worried about Govia taking over the franchise again, as first time around they were shyte IMO. Time will tell if they make good on their promises.

They didn't have the best of starts this time around either. They made some changes very quickly that impacted negatively (and must have frustrated staff who had got used to much improved systems that FCC had finally got in place a year or two before they went), although it's now being rectified it seems.

Things like changing the way they convey information during disruption (including how the displays showed delays and cancellations), and not changing the contract for replacement buses from First to GoAhead (which I'm told elsewhere happens this Sunday) so that they struggled to get buses in when things went wrong, or even just during planned engineering work.

And as it's a management contract, the DfT set out just about everything the new company had to do. As I said before, there's some flexibility and the ability to go beyond to try and generate more rail usage, which will then result in increased profit, but by and large everything they're intending to do was in the tender and every company that bid would have done the same.

I think there were SOME things that were flexible, but not much. But, to be fair, you can't be surprised that the 'winner' will announce what is going to happen and let people read that as it being THEM making it happen - even if new trains were ordered many years ago.

I actually thought First did a good job of FCC by and large. They inherited the Thameslink side of the franchise when the Thameslink Project was kicking off and went before it had finished, and they also suffered so many problems getting suitable stock and loads of problems with the new stock they did get - thanks to a myriad of problems with the trains built in Derby.

It's still a building site today, and still has loads of problems that may well get worse as another batch of (temporary) trains are introduced that struggle to communicate with different sub-classes made at different times, but most of the main issues are down to the construction work (blockades and diversions), and Network Rail problems (signalling etc).

Much as I think GTR has messed up early on, you can't blame them - or any other train operator - when the majority of problems come down to Network Rail, which is the bit that's state run!

Back to East Coast and Virgin/Stagecoach really doesn't have much in the way of things to go wrong and should have an easy ride. It's only when the overhead wires fall down that things go tits up, and they're covered by Network Rai for that anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They didn't have the best of starts this time around either. They made some changes very quickly that impacted negatively (and must have frustrated staff who had got used to much improved systems that FCC had finally got in place a year or two before they went), although it's now being rectified it seems.

Things like changing the way they convey information during disruption (including how the displays showed delays and cancellations), and not changing the contract for replacement buses from First to GoAhead (which I'm told elsewhere happens this Sunday) so that they struggled to get buses in when things went wrong, or even just during planned engineering work.

And as it's a management contract, the DfT set out just about everything the new company had to do. As I said before, there's some flexibility and the ability to go beyond to try and generate more rail usage, which will then result in increased profit, but by and large everything they're intending to do was in the tender and every company that bid would have done the same.

I think there were SOME things that were flexible, but not much. But, to be fair, you can't be surprised that the 'winner' will announce what is going to happen and let people read that as it being THEM making it happen - even if new trains were ordered many years ago.

I actually thought First did a good job of FCC by and large. They inherited the Thameslink side of the franchise when the Thameslink Project was kicking off and went before it had finished, and they also suffered so many problems getting suitable stock and loads of problems with the new stock they did get - thanks to a myriad of problems with the trains built in Derby.

It's still a building site today, and still has loads of problems that may well get worse as another batch of (temporary) trains are introduced that struggle to communicate with different sub-classes made at different times, but most of the main issues are down to the construction work (blockades and diversions), and Network Rail problems (signalling etc).

Much as I think GTR has messed up early on, you can't blame them - or any other train operator - when the majority of problems come down to Network Rail, which is the bit that's state run!

Back to East Coast and Virgin/Stagecoach really doesn't have much in the way of things to go wrong and should have an easy ride. It's only when the overhead wires fall down that things go tits up, and they're covered by Network Rai for that anyway!

OLE on the northern part of the ECML was done on the cheap. The spacing between supporting poles is too far and the connectors used being cheap. This means the knitting is more prone to damage during adverse weather conditions.

And the bigger problem is that to run higher speed trains >125mph, in cab signalling needs to be fitted and the OLE made tightly sprung instead of being loosely sprung, which most of it is now.

FCC could have procured the remaining dual voltage 319's and the 377's earlier than they did, according to sources, but they prevaricated.

The other thing that ticked me off big time was FCCs implementation of evening peak restrictions for certain tickets, which in itself didn't go down well, but not only that, prices on the affected tickets were not reduced in order to reflect the restricted validity.

Then you've got ATOC introducing a £13 minimum Mon-Fri fare on Network Railcard discounts, which IMO was a bad judgement, since many off peak trains are under utilised anyway, and I don't buy their excuse of 'people were using the NR for off peak commuter use', saying so what. Why have you got a problem with using a NR for commuter use in off peak hours, as surely it will relieve pressure on peak time train usage.