2011- The Year of Simon Cowell's Undoing?

2»

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole idea that he was saving Cheryl's acts because he didn't want to upset her is one of the more ridiculous theories. Why on earth would Cheryl want Katie Waissel to stay in the competition as long as she did? She did nothing but cause her grief and she was never going to win. There was no personal bond there. She was kept (and included in the first place) because she was generating huge press and increasing ratings for the show - just like Jedward the year before. Like all the judges, Simon's first responsibility is to ensure the success of the show by bringing in, and keeping, viewers. The biggest blow to X Factor will be if there isn't a Chico or a MacDonald Brothers or a Jedward or a Katie or a Cher...
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    Ive never understood the people who want Cowell to have his undoing, i mean the guy is successful and has sure had his fair share of turkeys in his life why hate on him because hes a rich and in the music and tv business somewhat powerful.

The man worked his arse off to get there and now hes reaping the benefits, what everyone of us would do.

Just feel the praying for his failure is a little petty and childish.

People get very (some might say too) emotionally invested in some of his shows - in no small part because they are well made. They get so frustrated that they start to want bad things to happen to the "characters" in real life. Of course it's petty and childish. But that's showbiz now.

I've often said that the idea that the showbiz forum is filled with people who fawn over and adore celebrities is totally wrong. Coverage of celebrity these days seems to be built on a bitter pool of hate, jealousy and frustration. More people longing for others to fail than willing them to succeed. And when they succeed, people get frustrated and so the individual is "smug" and needs to be cut down to size - the idea that Simon Cowell is suddenly "smug" is one of the more ludicrous! He has played that part to a tee for 10 years! It's the success that goes with it - all the while he's eliminating Jane Doe's favourite acts or her favourite judges acts...

In the meantime - Nicole might come into X Factor UK. And she'll be adored at first. She might win her first year, she'll look better, dress better, get #1 singles and more attention than Dannii whose popularity will drift. But then as she becomes more successful, they'll turn and go back to the "underdog", and Nicole will be regarded like Cheryl is now.

Pippa Middleton is another one who has achieved some popularity just now. I doubt it'll even be 12 months until people demand she goes away and question why she's famous, what she does and stir some class warfare again! For me, so long as she has that same backside, she'll always be in favour! :o
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    People get very (some might say too) emotionally invested in some of his shows - in no small part because they are well made. They get so frustrated that they start to want bad things to happen to the "characters" in real life. Of course it's petty and childish. But that's showbiz now.

I've often said that the idea that the showbiz forum is filled with people who fawn over and adore celebrities is totally wrong. Coverage of celebrity these days seems to be built on a bitter pool of hate, jealousy and frustration. More people longing for others to fail than willing them to succeed. And when they succeed, people get frustrated and so the individual is "smug" and needs to be cut down to size - the idea that Simon Cowell is suddenly "smug" is one of the more ludicrous! He has played that part to a tee for 10 years! It's the success that goes with it - all the while he's eliminating Jane Doe's favourite acts or her favourite judges acts...

In the meantime - Nicole might come into X Factor UK. And she'll be adored at first. She might win her first year, she'll look better, dress better, get #1 singles and more attention than Dannii whose popularity will drift. But then as she becomes more successful, they'll turn and go back to the "underdog", and Nicole will be regarded like Cheryl is now.

Pippa Middleton is another one who has achieved some popularity just now. I doubt it'll even be 12 months until people demand she goes away and question why she's famous, what she does and stir some class warfare again! For me, so long as she has that same backside, she'll always be in favour! :o

Nicely said. I think people naively look at Simon and his shows as something they are not.

He learnt a long time ago that the public were a baying mob who wanted pantomime characters to love and hate. Its a simple concept that the Romans figured out long before Simon Cowell -now to be fair to Simon he doesnt feed his contestants to lions - worse its the Daily Star and the News Of The World ;) . He is one of the few people that have TV for the masses sussed. The reason Cheryl was picked for the USA wasnt that she was universally popular here - she isnt - but she is contraversial - people have strong opinions about her - love her or hate everyone HAS an opinion and thats TV gold bullion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

I just think its sad that people cant look at Cowell with admiration and say well theres a guy who made it, good for him.

Seems a very large problem in our society of always trying to cut people down who we see to be too popular or smug as you said. Funny how the guy builds an empire on being smug yet for some reason now its gone too far!

Its stupid and childish and i think thats something i hate about British culture, as its nation wide thing but when it goes down regionally it goes away a bit. America for all the flack they get about being patriotic and the like really get behind their stars and dont really have this issue like we do.

Another thing thats in the same light as this is saying people sold out, such a pompous and ridiculous saying that really bugs me. Just a complete figment of imagination how someone who gets number 10s and 20s in the charts in popular but still cool but they start getting 1s and selling stadium tours they automatically sell out. :confused:

People are weird :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that Z list celebs who are famous just for being famous are criticised no end, but then you get a hard working guy like Simon come along, who has made it off his own back (lost it all and got it back again ten times bigger) yet that ambition and drive is also slated.

Simon has always divided opinion. I can see why people might dislike his TV persona, but that is no reason to wish failure on him. Other countries would be proud to have such a successful export to America.

The main point is that everyone talks about Simon and Cheryl. Who discusses Dannii and Louis at great length? It's better to be a love/hate figure than not provoke any opinion at all and that's what Simon understands as a producer.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a full week of Simon to look forward to :rolleyes: when he is back for live semis of BGT and the final at the end of may
  • dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too find it sad he is being knocked.

Love him or not, it is hard work, drive and determination which has made his name and his money. People should not be put down for that. I admire and respect what he has achieved in a relatively short space of time.

The majority of the country tune in to watch his shows. When you see what the alternative programs are on a Saturday evening, or even what is shown on ITV when his shows aren't on, just prove how successful he is with what he does. Even if you aren't a big fan of X Factor or BGT, they are well produced and entertaining and most of all they are controversial, which in itself gets people talking about them and tuning in.

I wish him every success with taking XF over to America, I don't think he will find it as easy to get the huge viewing figures as he did over here, especially with Idol and I think more importantly The Voice, which is also produced to the highest quality and is a very good show.

He will have to come up with a dynamic panel of judges over here if our XF is to survive though. Like it or not, they show IS about the judges as much as the contestants.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy o9 wrote: »
    Ive never understood the people who want Cowell to have his undoing, i mean the guy is successful and has sure had his fair share of turkeys in his life why hate on him because hes a rich and in the music and tv business somewhat powerful.

The man worked his arse off to get there and now hes reaping the benefits, what everyone of us would do.

Just feel the praying for his failure is a little petty and childish.

Well said :)

I've always prefered BGT to XF just because i like a little more variety and i have no problem with the new panel of judges but the acts are just dire this year :cry:

XFmay improve this year because a lot of people didn't like the Simon and Cheryl show last year :rolleyes:

Red/black dosen't interest me at all but no doubt will to a lot of the general public :yawn:

As for XFUSA , maybe not such an easy ride as he thought it was going to be with idol doing well and "the Voice" but i'm sure he will pull something out of the bag to make it and Cheryl a success. That's what he does best, producing entertainment, he is sh*te at picking talent IMO :D
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I intially thought Simon was really worth watching.

Then he got jaded, bored and by goodness so did most people watching him.

American Idol is rejuvenated without his carping, repetative bored vocabulary.

He should stay in the background and just set the ball rolling in whatever new venture he is creating.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking it might be his last year at the top to be honest, think undoing is a bit strong but his new gameshow sounds crap, XFactor USA has flop written all over it, especially considering how well the Voice is doing with a more differentiated theme to AI (X Factor will fall inbetween the two I think, The voice has the whole back to the audience twist from AI, whilst taking the mentoring of the acts from X Factor, whereas X Factor will come along and appear to be taking parts from both the Voice and AI) so not sure if there is even a place for the X Factor there, The Voice has the artist mentor, people who know what they are talking about training people, whilst AI is still Idol, music business people critiquing people, X Factor can't really set itself apart unless they get a Major draw as final judge, and by Major I'm thinking Madonna or resurrecting MJ.

The UK whilst still watching X Factor, seemed very disillusioned with it the past year, it was a clear fix, Cheryl has scarpered to America as her Nations sweetheart label diminishes along with her personality, it all just doesn't seem as good for Cowell as it was a couple of years ago.

As said before, I dont think he'll really care that much, but he has a huge ego, so it will definitely affect him a bit.
  • StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, Simon Cowell is most probably the most famous and influential person in UK television at the moment. We don't need to go into all the success, it's just safe to say he is worth a few bob. But I think 2011 could be a big downfall for Simon, and here's why:

BGT- 'Britain's Got Talent' is suffering. Mediocre acts and a complete lack of hype mean that the series is faltering. Michael McIntyre is perfectly acceptable, Amanda Holden is now a tired choice and David Hasselhoff doesn't quite fit in. The semi-finals will be where the lack of talent is exposed, in my opinion.

Red or Black- Cowell's new game show which sounds like a hyped up version of 'Deal Or No Deal', basically it's a game of luck involving contestants betting on the outcome of celebrity challenges. This just doesn't excite me in any way. When Cowell has veered away from talent shows in the past (Rock Rivals), the results have been disastrous. Wow, Ant and Dec as hosts!:rolleyes: I like them but it's all a bit uninspired and repetitive.

The X Factor USA: Easily the most hyped up show of the year. And the judges are lame. Cheryl Cole will hardly set the show alight (she doesn't here and we actually know who she is). LA Reid might be good but when you hear names like Jay-Z and Elton bandied about, it's disappointing. The Voice has stolen its thunder. It won't flop, but I don't think it will be a success either.

The X Factor UK: The loss of Simon will hit the show. And if Cheryl goes, then the tabloids will miss the whole drama surrounding her on the programme (love her or hate her, she does pull in headlines and viewers). People like Dannii but Louis is all a bit samey. The panel I feel will be made up of a Spice Girl and a Take That-er. We shall see what happens there...

These are just my thoughts. He's taken some real risks this year and I don't think they will pay off. I'd be interested to hear what you all think.

How wise you were to predict this! ;)