People Like Us (The Only Way Is Harpurhey) BBC 3

Comments

• miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    People actually watched this rubbish???? Someone please explain why!

Er my 4od is not working! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rapping contest is just toe curling :eek:
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rapping contest is just toe curling :eek:

I thought they only did that in TV shows :o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    I thought they only did that in TV shows :o.

And that Eminem film :cool:
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like just stepping out of Harpurhey dramatically clears a person's complexion.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    People actually watched this rubbish???? Someone please explain why!

'Cause it makes us all feel like aristocrats.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It very much reminded me of growing up on a large council estate in Newcastle in the 1940s/1950s - except they all had a lot more than we, and those around us, ever had.

Which is the core of the problem.

For the last 20 years there has been a constant chattering class scream for "more benefits, get children out of poverty and they will succeed" when all it has done is create dependency on the state which lasts generations. children see their parents with plenty of cash for the essentials (drink, drugs, sky) and see a benefit dependency as their future too.

In the old days if you were poor and wanted to better yourself you worked. Today, you pop out a few children till your benefits are worth SO MUCH that you would risk the lives of 5 of your many, many children to keep your £1000 a week income.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching about 30 minutes behind.

I'm afraid we burst out laughing when they said that Nicola's dad had an ASBO. :o It's something I tend to associated with disaffected youth.

In all seriousness though, how on earth does that ever get sorted? A real dad in prison for murder, an alcoholic ASBO'd step dad and a mum who only seems to have a tenuous grasp of English grammer. What depressing role models.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    Dale was on Sun, Sex & Suspicious Parents a few weeks back.

Pleased this girl got into uni. She might seem a bit dim but at least shes trying to move away from that kind of lifestyle.

spoke too soon :D
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best quote of the night "occasionally Nicola goes shoplifting to supplement her income".

Shoplifting is now a valid career choice.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh*.... so much for trying to prove the 'chav' stereotype is misleading :(

I hope Amber does manage to get to uni when she's ready :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    spoke too soon :D

For the sake of her eyebrows, she needs to leave Harpurhey and go someplace which has a decent brow threading salon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    *sigh*.... so much for trying to prove the 'chav' stereotype is misleading :(

I hope Amber does manage to get to uni when she's ready :)

Worryingly she will no doubt get pregnant 1st and not go at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Watching about 30 minutes behind.

I'm afraid we burst out laughing when they said that Nicola's dad had an ASBO. :o It's something I tend to associated with disaffected youth.

In all seriousness though, how on earth does that ever get sorted? A real dad in prison for murder, an alcoholic ASBO'd step dad and a mum who only seems to have a tenuous grasp of English grammer. What depressing role models.

Mind you, I have to say her flat (although not to my taste) was the cleanest, tidiest and decorated - which is more than you can say for most of them! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helenaka wrote: »
    Mind you, I have to say her flat (although not to my taste) was the cleanest, tidiest and decorated - which is more than you can say for most of them! ;)

You make a very valid point

I honestly can't see Dale going anywhere and quite how he thinks he is going to be famous for anything apart from this programme (which isn't exactly famous!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I need subtitles for Amber's Dad at times (is he her Dad? It's not something one can take for granted these days).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And she doesn't have the glassy eyed stare and pale bad complexion normally associated with naughty substance intake. Plus she knows remaining in Harpurhey is bad for her. Nicola, the stereotypical single teenage mum, was the only person I felt any sympathy for.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good job its on again later, forgot about it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make a very valid point

I honestly can't see Dale going anywhere and quite how he thinks he is going to be famous for anything apart from this programme (which isn't exactly famous!).

I was suprised, given her role models (like you said).

I can't see Dale making it either, but of course I may be wrong.

I couldn't believe it when his mum was talking about getting handy with his opponent's mum. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I need subtitles for Amber's Dad at times (is he her Dad? It's not something one can take for granted these days).

If its Paul? Then I think it is her father.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was suprised, given her role models (like you said).

I can't see Dale making it either, but of course I may be wrong.

I couldn't believe it when his mum was talking about getting handy with his opponent's mum. :eek:

Nicola seems quite serious and appears to have insight and think about things a lot. I hope she can make a new start with her aunt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola seems quite serious and appears to have insight and think about things a lot. I hope she can make a new start with her aunt.

Same here. I hope she gets out of all that negativity surrounding her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its Paul? Then I think it is her father.

I only started watching part way through so haven't got a complete handle on everyone.

I think it will be Paul. He lives with them and was on the settee whilst Hayley (?) was singing karaoke. Whenever he does his talking head bit there is liberal use of the 'f' word and he talks so quickly that I sometimes don't quite get what he is saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started watching part way through so haven't got a complete handle on everyone.

I think it will be Paul. He lives with them and was on the settee whilst Hayley (?) was singing karaoke. Whenever he does his talking head bit there is liberal use of the 'f' word and he talks so quickly that I sometimes don't quite get what he is saying.

Yes, he is her father.
  • AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Judge at that rap battle: "The decision was unanimous... 3 to 1."

Brilliant!