✭✭
Any one watching ?

I have been looking forward to this programme ,

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's interesting so far and how it has been suggested that Anne could have been possibly framed for what she was accused of.:eek:
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Yes, it's interesting so far and how it has been suggested that Anne could have been possibly framed for what she was accused of.:eek:

I think she was to a point , But I feel she was also partly to blame for her downfall as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I do wish the novelists weren't there to spout on about their own personal fantasies. Good programme but for that.
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I really like these types of programmes but for the second time I've heard the narrator say " nearly 600 years later ..." ???

2013 - 1536 = 477 years no?

Imo it's fantasy to suggest Cromwell engineered the whole plot when clearly Henry,desperate for an heir or not,had a penchant for removing any obstacle.The charges made against her may well have been exaggerated but Cromwell was under orders.

Alarmingly my summation aligns me with serial nutter Starkey.:eek::D By the way,who's the female historian that's a dead ringer for Ken Dodd?
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    found that quite interesting , I am going to watch tomorrows program about Cromwell as I find him quite interesting as well ,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    I really like these types of programmes but for the second time I've heard the narrator say " nearly 600 years later ..." ???

2013 - 1536 = 477 years no?

Imo it's fantasy to suggest Cromwell engineered the whole plot when clearly Henry,desperate for an heir or not,had a penchant for removing any obstacle.The charges made against her may well have been exaggerated but Cromwell was under orders.

Alarmingly my summation aligns me with serial nutter Starkey.:eek::D By the way,who's the female historian that's a dead ringer for Ken Dodd?

I noticed that too, so annoying. How hard is it to use a calculator.

She's a writer called Hilary Mantel. And now I can't unsee Doddy. :D

Cromwell was Henry's hatchetman. He wanted her gone after losing their son and his eye had already wandered. And what Henry wanted he got.

The irony being that the child she did give him was one of the greatest and longest rulers this country has ever known.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I thought this programme was excellent. So many historical dramas and documentaries use a lot of dramatic license or present one person's interpretation as fact, whereas this was far more academic and showed historians going back to the original evidence but also showing how they can interpret this in different ways and acknowledging that we will never know the absolute truth. My opinion was the same after the programme as before (that Henry was sick of her, was dersparate for a son that he thought she may never produce and was a supreme egotist who found a way to remove anyone in his way) but I really enjoyed how the discussion and opinions were presented.
  • Options
    ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this programme and I am looking forward to tomorrows Thomas Cromwell show. I am familiar with most of the authors, Mantel, Gregory Weir etc but who is the gorgeous young lady with the curly blond hair I did not see her name showed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I was really looking forward to this programme but to be honest most of it I was already aware of. However, none of them really hinted at her appearance - well I didn't hear anything about the rumour of her having a sixth finger.
    One thing I don't like about these programmes is that is so repetitive to the point that it seems like its building up to something... oh yeah what they mentioned 5 minutes ago.
    I agree with some of the historians but i don't think you can blame one person or one incident on her downfall - it was a number of factors all which they highlighted. it felt like the programme was trying to pinpoint it all too much on one event and person.

I do find that the idea of her being imprisoned in that tower for all that time and never seeing her child again must of been heartbreaking.
  • Options
    ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to this programme but to be honest most of it I was already aware of. However, none of them really hinted at her appearance - well I didn't hear anything about the rumour of her having a sixth finger.
    One thing I don't like about these programmes is that is so repetitive to the point that it seems like its building up to something... oh yeah what they mentioned 5 minutes ago.
    I agree with some of the historians but i don't think you can blame one person or one incident on her downfall - it was a number of factors all which they highlighted. it felt like the programme was trying to pinpoint it all too much on one event and person.

I do find that the idea of her being imprisoned in that tower for all that time and never seeing her child again must of been heartbreaking.

There was no mention of the Goiter she apparently had either.
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    duryea wrote: »

She's a writer called Hilary Mantel. And now I can't unsee Doddy. :D.

Thanks for that Duryea I assumed she was (merely) an academic but Wiki tells me that two Booker prize awards for her books about Thomas Cromwell suggest she'll be a big feature in tomorrow's offering.

I'll be watching as I agree with Clarkie66's view that all too often these programmes reach for conclusions that are mired in opinion and not evidence.I love the idea that documents exist from the period that can be independently translated by scholars from the french for example,or accurately interpreted by English experts.

I look forward to the next instalment.
  • Options
    Madmissi12Madmissi12 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this programme and I am looking forward to tomorrows Thomas Cromwell show. I am familiar with most of the authors, Mantel, Gregory Weir etc but who is the gorgeous young lady with the curly blond hair I did not see her name showed.

Her name is Suzannah Lipscomb :)
  • Options
    lynbrownlynbrown Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    On three separate occasions in this program, it said it was 600 years /6 centuries since it all happened. How could such a bad mistake get to the screen? It's less than 500 years/5 centuries since it happened!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Six centuries: 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st. Count them. Six.
  • Options
    lynbrownlynbrown Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    16th to 17th = 1 Century
    17th to 18th = 2 "
    18th to 19th = 3 "
    19th to 20th = 4 "
    20th to 21st = 5 "

2013 - 1536 = 477 years

Count these.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I accept that is was misleading to say "almost 600 years later". It is not misleading to say "over six centuries" in a historical context as each century is a convenient division of events and eras rather than an exact count of years.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Duryea I assumed she was (merely) an academic but Wiki tells me that two Booker prize awards for her books about Thomas Cromwell suggest she'll be a big feature in tomorrow's offering.

I love Hilary Mantel's books about Cromwell - great stuff. Even though people complain about historical novelists being taken seriously as theorists, I found her interesting to listen to on the show - quite eloquent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madmissi12 wrote: »
    Her name is Suzannah Lipscomb :)

Who is a 'Dr'.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Hilary Mantel's books about Cromwell - great stuff. Even though people complain about historical novelists being taken seriously as theorists, I found her interesting to listen to on the show - quite eloquent.

I find Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies ... I was going to say "almost unreadable", but no, I find them unreadable. I can't read more then a few sentences in one of them before I want to throw it across the room.

Here's an example found by opening Bring Up the Bodies to a page picked at random and starting near mid-page:
    "... He walks into the next room. You have heard the expression, 'My blood was boiling'? His blood is boiling. He crosses his wrists. He sits down on a chest ..."

*throw*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes well there's no point getting into a debate on here about Mantel's Cromwell books as am well aware that some people dislike them and, by the same token, many others think they're fab. Some people have problems with the narrative voice saying 'he' instead of 'Cromwell' whereas I think the 'filmic' immediacy (seen also in the quote you picked) is ingenious because it makes us feel closer to his consciousness. I found Wolf Hall a real page-turner for a Booker prize winner - zoomed through it much quicker than a book with far less pages and it has gone down as one of my favourite novels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes well there's no point getting into a debate on here about Mantel's books as some people dislike them and, by the same token, many others like them. Some people have problems with the narrative voice saying 'he' instead of 'Cromwell' whereas I think it's ingenious and makes us feel closer to his consciousness. I found Wolf Hall a real page-turner for a Booker prize winner - zoomed through it and it has gone down as one of my favourite novels.

The narrative voice "he ... he ... he ... he ... he ... he" is only a relatively minor annoyance, and that it's in present tense is fine, though that's been rather over-used in recent fiction. I've read and enjoyed even books written in 2nd person, so I'm not bothered by the unusual.

Anyway, before I watched this show, I wasn't aware there was so much disagreement and controversy about what had happened. Now that I do know, I think I can afford to skip Mantel's particular take on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    The narrative voice "he ... he ... he ... he ... he ... he" is only a relatively minor annoyance, and that it's in present tense is fine, though that's been rather over-used in recent fiction. I've read and enjoyed even books written in 2nd person, so I'm not bothered by the unusual.

Anyway, before I watched this show, I wasn't aware there was so much disagreement and controversy about what had happened. Now that I do know, I think I can afford to skip Mantel's particular take on it.

Like I say, her Cromwell books are famous for dividing opinion going by the Amazon reviews alone. If you dislike them then that's obviously fine but I think they're fantastic and that they conjure up a vibrant world. Most of the critical reviews I've read are focused on her narrative technique of saying 'he' so that's why I particularly highlighted that. Anyway I don't think we should get into any further discussion of these books as that's really for the 'books' forum on here.

I don't get the logic of the second part of your post though. You dislike the way that Mantel's Cromwell books are written so you're going to ignore her take on Anne Boleyn in the documentary? Mantel still has valid observations to make (just as much as the other novelists featured at any rate) despite the fact that a reader may not have got on with her books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I say, her Cromwell books are famous for dividing opinion going by the Amazon reviews alone. If you dislike them then that's obviously fine but I think they're fantastic, conjuring up a vibrant world. Most of the critical reviews I've read are focused on her narrative technique of saying 'he' so that's why I particularly highlighted that. Anyway I don't think we should get into any further discussion of these books as that's really for the 'books' forum on here.

Opinion is not very divided on Amazon UK. (I haven't looked at the other ones.)

5 star 470
    4 star 91
    3 star 45
    2 star 22
    1 star 27

Really divisive books have a lot of 4 or 5 star reviews and a similar number of 1 or 2.

Anyway, I'm surprised that the reviews are so positive. A book that gets a lot of media coverage will usually be read by many people who wouldn't normally try such a book, which often results in many negative reviews and in people resenting the way they (feel they were) misled. A lot of people must at least have been surprised by the 3rd-person present "he ... he ... he". So I do wonder why so many like it.

(A partial explanation occurs to me. The ratings for Wolf Hall were more mixed. Most people who didn't like it didn't bother with Bring Up the Bodies, which would 'filter out' some of the low ratings.)
    I don't get the logic of the second part of your post though. You dislike the way that Mantel's Cromwell books are written so you're going to ignore her take on Anne Boleyn in the documentary? Mantel still has valid observations to make (just as much as the other novelists featured at any rate) despite the fact that a reader may not have got on with her books.

Well, I was going to say that no, I listened to what she said in the show (so didn't ignore it); I just meant I thought I could afford to skip the books. But now that I've though about it a bit more, I'd go further. I think that the way she writes, in these novels, and her immersion in imagination in the mind of Cromwell, makes me distrust her views and indeed makes me want to avoid any deeper engagement with them.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was also in the news recently for a minor scandal over comments she made about the Duchess of Cambridge, but I'll give the programme makers the benefit of the doubt and assume that wasn't part of the reason she was chosen for this.

I did like the program though. I'll be honest and say I'm not a history buff and wasn't that familiar with the story of Anne Boleyn (and what I did remember seemed to come mostly from The Tudors, which is possibly not the most reliable source) but I did like the idea of having different experts promoting their own (usually contradictory) narratives. It seems to me with history documentaries that they generally decide in advance the story they're telling, and then selectively pick quotes from the assembled experts to reinforce this story. So it seems quite brave to have a documentary where they're not afraid to simply let the experts' speak and just follow where it leads.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I found it was very interesting because it had a focus on a small detail of history which I knew little about, and went into great detail of explanation. On balance I came to the conclusion that Anne Boleyn was probably guilty. What persuaded me more then anything else was the gossip from the ladies-in-waiting, who would not have had a motive for fabricating evidence or framing n innocent person in the same way that Cromwell might have done.