CAR INSURANCE - any advice or tips...

SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
Forum Member
I urgently want to reduce my monthly car insurance expenditure. I'm currently paying around £90 per month on fully comprehensive policy with breakdown cover with the' red phone people'. I need to reduce this if possible, although according to comparison sites it appears I'm getting a good deal.

Apparently, going third party only is more expensive then fully comprehensive as it's now considered a 'higher risk' by Insurance companies. I've been in touch with my Insurance people and have threatened to go elsewhere and in response to that they've reduced my monthly instalments by around £8 per month which is ok, but not what I was hoping for. I also have over 9 years no claims. The car is a basic 2004 hatchback - nothing special. I have no penalty points.

Are there any useful insider tips, advice, cheaper options or anything that people know about that I and others could benefit from? Any help or advice - much appreciated.

Comments

• oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Tesco to be a fair bit cheaper than anywhere else. £90 a month with 9 years no claims seems extortionate you must have a much nicer car than me ;)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently paying £214.31 a year with Tesco Bank Car insurance, although I take out breakdown cover separately through Green Flag.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you driving? Where are you based? What is your occupation? Have you got any penalty points?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check your job title as some jobs are considered more risky than others, and go through every question that they ask you with a fine tooth comb especially playing around with things you can alter like the breakdown cover/excess/courtesy car etc
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go online and get a few quotes.

That's what I tend to do.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go to individual sites to compare prices, rather than go to one of the price comparison sites. That's unless you think you'll enjoy getting inundated with spam emails forever more.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    I also have over 9 years no claims. The car is a basic 2004 hatchback - nothing special. I have no penalty points.

Given the above facts, an annual premium of over £1000 for someone who is 26+ years of age seems extortionate (even allowing for the cost of breakdown cover and interest charges for paying monthly).

Something must be loading the premium significantly and the most likely candidates are a high-risk occupation and/or residing in an area with a high level of criminal activity.

Do either or both of these factors apply in your case?
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I get online quotes I always put in a bogus email address, bogus phone number and a bogus name with random keys like 'gadfgagfgsdfgs'.

You'd be surprised how much junk mail I get in the post addressed to 'gadfgagfgsdfgs'.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you looked at places like esure and Shelias wheels - they cover men and women. They have excellent prices, usually, for people with more than 5 years no claim and no points.
    I now have 15+ yrs no claim, and no points, but and their quotes are by far the lowest - currently pay less than 500 a year (high risk post code and car), and its for parking on the road. But, Tesco and directline, quotes me almost 1500!

got decent cash back through quidco too
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go through the main comparison websites which between them hoover up over 90% of the insurance companies. Then phone up your original insurer and haggle.

You can experiment with your job title - this can vary the quote by 10% - I can legitimately claim to be a chartered engineer (which I am and is my official job title) which is much cheaper than if my job title says anything about aviation. Of course, do not put a job title down which you are not as this will invalidate your insurance.

Also do not assume setting a high excess will reduce your premium. I forget the exact figures but my quote was about £150 with £300 excess, but rose to about £170 if I set the excess to be £1000 - perhaps they have stats saying those with higher excesses are a higher risk!!!
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to everyone who has posted so far in this thread - some good advice and certainly food for thought.

My postcode is considered high risk which is probably an issue. It's strange, because I live in the part of the postcode that isn't considered too bad an area. However, the other part of the postcode is not that great shall we say for levels of car crime etc. Someone who lived near me left the area last year on the basis that they felt the insurance premiums were too high here. Wonderful isn't it - penalised for living in the wrong area!

I'll try some of the firms mentioned on this thread and see how I go. I may also try individual websites as someone else suggested. I've tried most of the comparison websites and they are ALL giving me higher quotes than my current insurance with DL which comes up for renewal in 3 months.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're driving a 1.0 Micra with no penalty points/convictions and a safe job then, yeah, it'll all be down to area.

A lot can be down to what car you're driving, funnily enough, which is something you've not fully divulged. A 'basic 2004 hatchback' could still be a 2.0l boy racer, as far as insurers are concerned.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Also worth trying Aviva, I've been with them 3 years now, every time they've been cheapest. (Have to call up every year because renewal isn't as cheap as new policy). Last year they were ~£150 cheaper than anywhere else - I pay £240 a year with 4 years no claims and 3 points on a 1.8l van.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Many thanks to everyone who has posted so far in this thread - some good advice and certainly food for thought.

My postcode is considered high risk which is probably an issue. It's strange, because I live in the part of the postcode that isn't considered too bad an area. However, the other part of the postcode is not that great shall we say for levels of car crime etc. Someone who lived near me left the area last year on the basis that they felt the insurance premiums were too high here. Wonderful isn't it - penalised for living in the wrong area!

I'll try some of the firms mentioned on this thread and see how I go. I may also try individual websites as someone else suggested. I've tried most of the comparison websites and they are ALL giving me higher quotes than my current insurance with DL which comes up for renewal in 3 months.

High risk areas are necessary the 'bad' areas - can be deemed high risk because it is a decent place,with nice homes owed by people with decent cars - more sought after items
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try a money back site like Quidco or Top CashBack, I saved £75 on my insurance.
  • mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be carful with dummy quotes- this can trigger fraud alerts for some insurers. Especialy occupations and mileage etc.
    A 2004 hatchback could be a micra with very little added on or an Audi s3 so you need to be a bit more specific?
    9 years no claims just gets you a discount off the base rate for the insurance.
    Have you tried adding a partner or wife onto the policy? This can reduce premiums.

On postcodes it's quite hard to explain but obvious rough areas of a city will be a high risk area due to crime rates etc but a nice area may also be high risk as a result of theft claims... Ie someone claiming several thousand for a BMW etc.
    Where in the country do you live?
    Certain cities are well known for higher premiums such as London and Birmingham.
    Also can you not pay in full? As you will be loaning a years premium from an insurer and paying it back in full plus some interest. Do you want to cancel the policy and start a new one right away? If so expect several more debits from your current one before it's settled!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 99 reg ford focus 1.8 and I managed to knock £110 off my best quote by waiting until the day before my current insurance ended, the company I was with was asking for £560 renewal and I paid £364 with Hasting Direct. This was for the whole year and if I paid monthly was £35 pm. I am female and was 39 and have 7 ncb. But I do not do many miles per year and I live in a council estate (not the best area in town) and car is parked on drive.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Do all the big comparison sites, gocompare, comparethemarket, confused. Then do the ones not covered, Aviva and Direct Line are the main two. Moneysavingexpert used to have a thing that told you what to put as your profession but doubt that will make much difference to be honest. Once you've done that there's not many more things you can do.