Options

Edge of Tomorrow

Comments

• Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    This is a very good film.

I saw it yesterday.

The only problem maybe that that there appear to be only limited 2D showings.

Only one a day at my local Cineworld and that is at 1pm.

If this is replicated around the country this may reduce the box office.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on my way back from seeing it.

it was good, but considering it was probably in my top 3 'must see' of the year, I don't have that feeling of being utterly blown away.

they had some nice touches and some good twists on the formula but it just didn't really elevate itself into the "OMG" category for me really.
  • Options
    FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just on my way back from seeing it.

it was good, but considering it was probably in my top 3 'must see' of the year, I don't have that feeling of being utterly blown away.

they had some nice touches and some good twists on the formula but it just didn't really elevate itself into the "OMG" category for me really.

I'd agree. Good fun and very entertaining but definitely not "OMG". Certainly worth seeing though.

I am wondering just how much was cut though.
    Lara Pulver appears very briefly near the end (she even gets a big close up on her face as the camera pulls in towards Cruise) but has no lines despite being listed quite high in the end credits as Karen Lord. Looks like almost her entire part was cut.
    And no sign of Jeremy Piven either.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought 3 of his last 4 films (not including edge of tomorrow) were good MI4, jack reacher, and oblivion.

Totally agree. They were all good films and pretty enjoyable. I really wish they had kept the original title of All You Need Is Kill, but this is getting great reviews.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just got back from watching Edge Of Tomorrow and I thought it was really good.Its one of the best blockbusters I've seen this year.Im not sure though if I liked the ending or would have prefered them to do something darker!
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the trailers it looks like a big budget rehash of
    Source Code.Which was excellent.Tom Cruise,after
    his laughably feeble attempt at Jack Reacher,is another
    matter.I used to almost like him at one time.Then he started
    being on Graham Norton most weeks being a twunk.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    The only similarity between Source Code and Edge Of Tomorrow is the reliving of the same day which was seen before in Groundhog Day.So calling Edge Of Tomorrow a rehash of Source Code is like calling Source Code a rehash of Groundhog Day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Just got back from watching Edge Of Tomorrow and I thought it was really good.Its one of the best blockbusters I've seen this year.Im not sure though if I liked the ending or would have prefered them to do something darker!

I have to agree about the ending. But then at least the ending they did made sense from a plot perspective.
    If you've got the one main creature that can manipulate time, I suppose it stands to reason that it can throw him back to the point where he actually arrived in England where it all started.

The one point of the film that did raise the biggest laugh though ..
    .. was when he was trying to escape from the army training and rolled under the truck, accidentally getting run over :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I accidentally watched this in 2D rather than watching Malficient as we forgot the 3D glasses and I think, it was probably better that way. I really enjoyed it far more than i thought I would, as I didn't really have any views/opinions going into watch it. There were some great twists and effects and I thought the acting and directing was great. The ending was a bit predictable/a bit of a non-event, but overall I did thoroughly enjoy it. I do think it's one of those films that won't translate as well on DVD, so i'd recommend watching it in the cinema if you have a chance.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus,quite right of course.Except that NOW,I have to try
    and forget that I ever saw that pile of **** that was Groundhog
    Day,once more!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrPond wrote: »
    The ending was a bit predictable/a bit of a non-event.

The ending didn't work. Without going into spoilers, it was a contrivance: it was set up just so there would be a snappy cue for the theme tune and credits.

Otherwise, not a bad film at all. Cruise is on great form as slimy weasel Cage, Blunt's good at the deadpan tough-girl stuff and there's some wit in amongst the explosions. The action's a bit hard to follow at times thanks to shaky camera work and there are enough plot holes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's fun while it lasts.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this on Saturday - really enjoyed it.

It was weird seeing Lara Pulver right at the end - they really cut her part down then!!

Loved the scene with the army truck :) very funny!

Can anyone explain the ending for me? (maybe in a spoiler) As in....will it stop?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit underwhelmed tbh, enjoyed it but bizarrely found it repetitive (lol) was just missing something for me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    As in....will it stop?

My interpretation of the ending is something like this.
    The Alpha Mimic's blood gave Cage the power to reset time to a particular point. They refer to it as a "day" when it's clearly not BTW :)

The Omega Mimic, the 'big daddy', if you will, obviously must have more powerful time controlling blood so when he detonated the grenades and killed it, it's blood seeped into his body and sent him back to the point where he actually arrived in England.

He then sees the news report of an "Unexplained Explosion" and that the Mimics are dying, so he knows the timeline has been altered and the Mimics are all dead or dying, so everything has stopped.

There are probably a dozen different explanations of the ending though :)
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interpretation of the ending is something like this.
    The Alpha Mimic's blood gave Cage the power to reset time to a particular point. They refer to it as a "day" when it's clearly not BTW :)

The Omega Mimic, the 'big daddy', if you will, obviously must have more powerful time controlling blood so when he detonated the grenades and killed it, it's blood seeped into his body and sent him back to the point where he actually arrived in England.

He then sees the news report of an "Unexplained Explosion" and that the Mimics are dying, so he knows the timeline has been altered and the Mimics are all dead or dying, so everything has stopped.

There are probably a dozen different explanations of the ending though :)
    but if he has gone back in time to when he arrived in london then how have the mimics been stopped? he hasn't killed the omega yet surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    but if he has gone back in time to when he arrived in london then how have the mimics been stopped? he hasn't killed the omega yet surely?
    fair point indeed, but I guess you have to assume that the omega's ability to manipulate time meant it was also, in effect, 'outside' time as well

when it dies, it throws him back but stays dead

maybe :)
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Saw this on Saturday - really enjoyed it.

It was weird seeing Lara Pulver right at the end - they really cut her part down then!!

Loved the scene with the army truck :) very funny!

Can anyone explain the ending for me? (maybe in a spoiler) As in....will it stop?
    I noticed Lara in the Crowd scene, thought I was seeing things, hadn't seen her in the rest of it....I wondered why she was there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was also that weird scene in the pub which seemed to have been left over from another subplot or even a completely different film. Unless anyone has a better explanation...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    There was also that weird scene in the pub which seemed to have been left over from another subplot or even a completely different film. Unless anyone has a better explanation...

I just saw that as he wanted a break from dying all the time ..
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred Risky Business.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Totally agree. They were all good films and pretty enjoyable. I really wish they had kept the original title of All You Need Is Kill, but this is getting great reviews.

Agreed. It had five title changes before it settled on Edge of Tomorrow.
    Motthus wrote: »
    The only similarity between Source Code and Edge Of Tomorrow is the reliving of the same day which was seen before in Groundhog Day.So calling Edge Of Tomorrow a rehash of Source Code is like calling Source Code a rehash of Groundhog Day!

Agreed. Groundhog Day wasn't the first of its kind, either.

For what it's worth, All You Need is Kill - which Edge of Tomorrow is based on - was inspired by a glitch in a video game Half-Life, which novelist Hiroshi Sakurazaka good-naturedly admitted almost destroyed his sanity. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

For what it's worth, All You Need is Kill - which Edge of Tomorrow is based on - was inspired by a glitch in a video game Half-Life, which novelist Hiroshi Sakurazaka good-naturedly admitted almost destroyed his sanity. :D

Interesting. Edge of Tomorrow is probably the film most like a video game that isn't based on a video game, if you see what I mean.

For example, if you're not a gamer, the idea of resetting back to a fixed start point makes no sense. If you could really reset time, you'd do it to the point that you wanted to begin from.
  • Options
    edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to add that i really enjoyed this film as well. better than I expected and well worth a watch.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    I saw this in IMAX 3D and wish I had seen it in 2D. The 3D is just too blurry half the time
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is on my list of films to go and see but just wondering how recognisable the Harry Potter sets are during it and whether this detracts from the film itself if your mind starts wondering why the are in Hogwarts