Options

Wow i really do miss Three after using Voda for 3 days!

2»

Comments

• Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Vodafone and consequently O2 I have exceptional coverage with, great throughput, solid connection and excellent voice quality (no so much O2 on that one).
    The whole of South Oxfordshire (only about 10 miles from Vodafone HQ at Newbury) has a very good signal for CALLS - but EDGE only for data (except in towns).

If you need data in this area use 3 or EE!
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggled to get any reception on 3 on a recent holiday in North Devon. However my friends who were on other networks seemed to have similar problems.

What annoyed me was that I had a phone signal in places but couldn't use the internet. Is it not possible to use the 2G network for data anymore?
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    What annoyed me was that I had a phone signal in places but couldn't use the internet. Is it not possible to use the 2G network for data anymore?
    I did not think 3 have ever allowed any data on their (declining!) 2G fallback!
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

correct.
    2G fallback was provided by another network, and i believe it has almost been phased out completely.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    when in fact all i was doing was picking up on an idiot trying to be funny (and failing at it) :D

Oh... I thought It was funny. :(

:)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    correct.
    2G fallback was provided by another network, and i believe it has almost been phased out completely.

It's still enabled across great swathes of the south in my experience. Still get it a lot after the train has been in a tunnel and the phone has assumed there is no 3 signal so it starts trying to roam.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had every sim going (almost) p. a. y. g. & Three ROCK my world perfectly
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

I think it used to work some years ago but got stopped.
  • Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in rural Staffordshire and would need to drive several miles to get a hint of a 3G signal from either Vodafone or O2, its the same story in rural areas of Derbyshire and Cheshire either side of here also. No sign of any advances in coverage for years in these areas, and I suspect there will be two generations worth of family come and gone before 4G appears from either of these providers.

Fortunately, EE and Three both give good coverage and excellent speeds right into the Staffordshire Moorlands, I use '3' as my main broadband connection, (as do my closest neighbours), as its 10mbps download speeds are far better than the 512k - 1mbps speeds from BT landline ADSL.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    I'm in rural Staffordshire and would need to drive several miles to get a hint of a 3G signal from either Vodafone or O2, its the same story in rural areas of Derbyshire and Cheshire either side of here also. No sign of any advances in coverage for years in these areas, and I suspect there will be two generations worth of family come and gone before 4G appears from either of these providers.

You'd be unlucky if it turned out like that for you. O2's licence obligation for 98% indoor by the end of 2017 roughly equates to the same coverage as 2G voice plus any extra that comes from MIP.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    You'd be unlucky if it turned out like that for you. O2's licence obligation for 98% indoor by the end of 2017 roughly equates to the same coverage as 2G voice plus any extra that comes from MIP.

O2's 4G coverage obligation is not actually a 4G coverage obligation at all :D

(a) The Licensee shall by no later than 31 December 2017 provide, and thereafter maintain, an electronic communications network that is capable of providing, with 90% confidence, a mobile telecommunications service with a sustained downlink speed of not less than 2 Mbps when that network is lightly loaded, to users

users:
    (i) in an area within which at least:
    a. 98% of the population of the United Kingdom lives, and
    b. 95% of the population of each of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland lives; and
    (ii) at indoor locations that meet the condition specified in paragraph 6(b)(ii) of this Schedule, which are within any residential premises within the area specified in paragraph 6(a)(i).

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1937180
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the mistake made was assuming that i was an apple fan boy.
    when in fact all i was doing was picking up on an idiot trying to be funny (and failing at it) :D

Well that's made my day, seeing Chenks post a smiley, it must the first chink in his armour that he has a sense of humour after all :D

You'll note I resisted the urge to say first chenk in his armour, I don't want to push my luck.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    So the moral of the story is that Vodafone don't have 3G coverage where you live and Three do.

I'm certainly glad I know.

I will refer you to my comment i made in post 4.

And i only said what i said because i dont exactly live in the sticks, i live in a small town, id expect at least a 2-3 bar 3G signal, not EDGE
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I will refer you to my comment i made in post 4.

And i only said what i said because i dont exactly live in the sticks, i live in a small town, id expect at least a 2-3 bar 3G signal, not EDGE

Well you'd be wrong then.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Yeah, why is an Apple fan boy using a N5? We need answers.

OMG.. I nearly died when I read that!!. Thanks for brightening my (bloody awful) day!!
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Oh... I thought It was funny. :(

Hey, you're not an idiot... are you??
    I thought you seemed like a thoroughly nice chap.
    Well there you go, you go along thinking someone is a top bloke and it turns out he's an idiot!!
    I learn so much from this forum.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm a bit of an Apple fan boy.
    I have a sense of humour.
    I got the joke.
    It was indeed very funny.
    Keep em coming!
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »

Are you sure you have sense of humour? :p
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Well you'd be wrong then.

Yes I was wrong to put any faith in Voda lol
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Hey, you're not an idiot... are you??
    I thought you seemed like a thoroughly nice chap.
    Well there you go, you go along thinking someone is a top bloke and it turns out he's an idiot!!

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

;-)
    I'm a bit of an Apple fan boy.
    I got the joke.
    Keep em coming!

If only there were more people like you around here Devonbloke. :)
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    correct.

Not in staffordshire and Shropshire it hasn't., it's alive and well and annoyingly strong in lots of places.. Wish they would just turn it off!!!
    It's utterly useless now, your call won't seamlessly switch over to it, it's only on random cells so if your travelling and do call someone back on it then it's not very long before you break up and loose the call or bumble about on 1 bar of 2g which is useless, where as 1bar of 3G can still provide a decent conversation quality...
    Plus there is no data whatsoever!
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    Why not just set your phone to use 3g only? That should solve that problem.

Loose the 4g option if I do that. sadly
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll note I resisted the urge to say first chenk in his armour, I don't want to push my luck.

indeed, you don't want to end up on my published list.
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on a training course in Telford, and certain parts of the industrial estate dropped to Roaming 2G.