Tabby's Popstar To Operastar Thread

Comments

• DormouseDormouse Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Jenkins' crowning career highlight for me has to be the Last Night of the Proms on the telly last year, when in the interval the BBC cut from the Albert hall to the Proms in the Park around the country and caught her trying to sing Una Voce Poco Fa without any facility at coloratura or notes above F. The final top C will remain in my memory for a long time. It wasn't even a B. Someone must have recorded it on YouTube for posterity. Anyone find it? Surely she/her management must have assumed that she wouldn't be broadcast? It was on a par with that "Classical Music" awards ceremony a couple of years ago that had a tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber with Sarah Brightman "singing" Pie Jesu-note...by...note.

I'm one of the backing singers for that. There was nearly pant-wettage, and we should have been paid extra for managing to keep straight faces...
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dormouse wrote: »
    I'm one of the backing singers for that. There was nearly pant-wettage, and we should have been paid extra for managing to keep straight faces...
    Again to be fair, that is a difficult piece... so if anything it was just a silly choice. I'm struggling to find another mezzo soprano singing it.

For those who don't know the piece, here's one of the best performing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7W5fScBRQ0&feature=PlayList&p=1DE5AF68074B9A3D&index=0

And here's Katherine's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgfiySQrEk Unfortunately it is a rather poor quality recording though and I've certainly heard her sing it better.
  • daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurence-Llewelyn Boyen- designed the set?

Meatloaf appeared to be a crazed uncle who left his seat and joined the panel.

I had doubts, but liked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Again to be fair, that is a difficult piece... so if anything it was just a silly choice. I'm struggling to find another mezzo soprano singing it..

I had to do a bit of quick research after this post and apparently...
    While contemporary printed scores tend to list Rosina as a mezzo-soprano role, the actual casting practice of opera houses varies widely. The role in its original key can be portrayed by both contraltos and mezzo-sopranos, and a popular transposed version is often used when a soprano is cast in the role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again to be fair, that is a difficult piece... so if anything it was just a silly choice. I'm struggling to find another mezzo soprano singing it.

For those who don't know the piece, here's one of the best performing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7W5fScBRQ0&feature=PlayList&p=1DE5AF68074B9A3D&index=0

And here's Katherine's version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgfiySQrEk Unfortunately it is a rather poor quality recording though and I've certainly heard her sing it better.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was one of the Classical Brits bunch.

For the record, KJ has an inoffensive enough voice, but there's not enough substance to back it up for me. And she has expressed an interest in singing in opera one day, which is an unfortunate indication that she doesn't know her own limitations.

And I've heard many a top class pro REALLY lay an egg on Una voce poco fa - a case of KJ being badly advised rather than her own choice, I would hope.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daddy66 wrote: »

Meatloaf appeared to be a crazed uncle who left his seat and joined the panel.
    Marvin Lee Aday is the loose cannon on this panel dont know if he is there for his musical prowess or token nuttiness
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For the record, KJ has an inoffensive enough voice, but there's not enough substance to back it up for me. And she has expressed an interest in singing in opera one day, which is an unfortunate indication that she doesn't know her own limitations.

And I've heard many a top class pro REALLY lay an egg on Una voce poco fa - a case of KJ being badly advised rather than her own choice, I would hope.

I must admit I retyped my reply about five times as it read completely wrong plus I missed the fact that it is traditionally a mezzo soprano piece. Which is a little odd as I've only ever seen full recordings with Rosina cast as a soprano...

I suspect they just get given a list of "crowd pleasers" at these things and just have to make the best of it. ;)

Anyway I have managed to find one - the wonderful Elina Garanca sing the piece - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od368OEUZ_8

Now that is class!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

waiting for them to try Gounoud's Ave Maria

Mario Lanza shows you how its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULVjKTl6cE&feature=related
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect they just get given a list of "crowd pleasers" at these things and just have to make the best of it. ;)

Producers getting their own way as per normal
  • daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marvin Lee Aday is the loose cannon on this panel dont know if he is there for his musical prowess or token nuttiness

...it appears to be token.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waiting for them to try Gounoud's Ave Maria

Mario Lanza shows you how its done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULVjKTl6cE&feature=related
    Check out his Nessun Dorma http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZ2XA84MPI&feature=related
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the type of show I would normally watch (I'm not into classical music) but liking the Osmonds for many years I had to watch Jimmy:)

I thought vocally Vanessa was the best girl and couldn't believe she was in the bottom two:eek:

Looking forward to seeing what they have to tackle next week:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I concur:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I thought vocally Vanessa was the best girl and couldn't believe she was in the bottom two :eek:

I really felt for Vanessa, she has an absolutely beautiful tone to her voice but unfortunately her nerves just got the better of her...
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marcella or Darius to triumph - who knows?! Heehee, Darius looks like some suavey old Persian business man these days - defo not a 'Pop Idol' ;)

(PS - I know it's 'Iranian' not 'Persian' but I just like the word 'Persian' :))

My girlfriend says Darius looks like Clive owen
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    KJ is a beauty but she can't help looking a bit WAG. Flog the blonde etc. etc.
    :D:D

is it just me but does she remind you of Lady Penelope or Marina from Stingray? Somehow she doesn't look real:eek:
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it just me but does she remind you of Lady Penelope or Marina from Stingray? Somehow she doesn't look real:eek:

Yep, you're right. A teensy bit 'pneumatic doll'. She could look so much more natural :rolleyes:
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I too have heard this and doubt that she will ever be able to sustain an operatic performance - but for now she doesn't claim to be an opera singer, but a classical singer and that's how she should be judged.

Whilst some regard her as an artist of modest talent, would her critics have turned down the opportunities she's been given? If nothing else she has helped to bring classical music to the attention of a wider audience and that must be good.

Oh and sofakat - yes she does bear a striking resemblance to Lady P. :D

I saw her on a programme without a truckload of makeup and she looked very pretty and natural.

My advice to her - ditch the greasepaint it's sooooo dated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this and was really enjoying the performances, but was driven to distraction by the stupid audience whooping and screaming part way through - you could hardly hear some of the singers through it - no doubt some floor manager prompted it; I know this is all 'Britain's Got Talent' stylee, but it is really off-putting.

And can someone please tie Meatloaf to his chair?

I really like the premise of this programme, and i'll give it another go, but I fear the audience and Meatloaf will cause it's downfall for me. :o *moan over*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tab wrote: »
    I watched this and was really enjoying the performances, but was driven to distraction by the stupid audience whooping and screaming part way through - you could hardly hear some of the singers through it - no doubt some floor manager prompted it; I know this is all 'Britain's Got Talent' stylee, but it is really off-putting.

They used to do that with "stars in their eyes" the punter utters a few words of the song and audience goes mental"
    yes floor manager asking the crowd to go bonkers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    I too have heard this and doubt that she will ever be able to sustain an operatic performance - but for now she doesn't claim to be an opera singer, but a classical singer and that's how she should be judged.

Whilst some regard her as an artist of modest talent, would her critics have turned down the opportunities she's been given? If nothing else she has helped to bring classical music to the attention of a wider audience and that must be good.

Oh and sofakat - yes she does bear a striking resemblance to Lady P. :D

I saw her on a programme without a truckload of makeup and she looked very pretty and natural.

My advice to her - ditch the greasepaint it's sooooo dated.

I used to share your opinion on bringing classical music to a wider audience, but now I'm not so sure.

There's still an unwillingness for the general, non-classical exposed public, if you like, to even go to a Gubbay style popular opera evening, let alone a full opera, because the artists employed are still the real deal, and don't sound like what they've come to expect from Classic FM/Britain's Got Talent, etc.

And of course, no classical singer in their right mind would have turned down those opportunities - for what it's worth, I've got a lot of time for Lesley Garrett, as at least she put the serious graft in (and trained properly, and for many years) before hitting the crossover circuit.

Maybe I'm just bitter and jaded about it all. Won't stop me watching the rest of the show with interest. :)
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Op-eh-rah singers are not doing their art a great service by attacking the show in such a vehement and frankly in my opinion snobbish way. Take Ms Evans in her ivory tower in preparing for a role at the Met. I'd never pay my hard earned money to go to see anyone who so clearly despises any would be members of the audience who are "not one of us"

I'm tired already with the continuing not exactlyy subtle attacks on Darius personally, because the whole aria was lowered by a fifth. Surely if his voice is lower he's starting from a much lower note and hitting the equivalent higher note above, as a tenor would, doing the same bit starting from his more lofty first note in the phrase.

I''m also sick of opera singers telling us how hard it is for them to prepare for their roles. Do they really think it's any easier in the West End? Maybe they should ask Jimmy, Kym, Bernie and Darius how hard they had to work to get their characters right.

Jill Paice was on stage for over 3 hours in Gone With The Wind and the whole cast were working 16 hour days, long after the first preview. They were rehearsing one show during the day and doing the previous one that night after opening night.

Darius was also handling most of the media publicity interviews, not something many opera stars have to do often.. Songs went in, songs were cut, the beat of songs were changed and yet the cast were excellent and got standing ovations almost every night.

Jill and Darius had to channel two of the most iconic literary romantic figures, measure up to the legendary Hollywood stars and yet make them their own. OK, they did it in English, whilst operas are more often in foreign languages, but they had to sustain Southern accents throughout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Katherine if you're reading this...will you wear your rugby top for the lads next week please!
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to share your opinion on bringing classical music to a wider audience, but now I'm not so sure.

There's still an unwillingness for the general, non-classical exposed public, if you like, to even go to a Gubbay style popular opera evening, let alone a full opera, because the artists employed are still the real deal, and don't sound like what they've come to expect from Classic FM/Britain's Got Talent, etc.

And of course, no classical singer in their right mind would have turned down those opportunities - for what it's worth, I've got a lot of time for Lesley Garrett, as at least she put the serious graft in (and trained properly, and for many years) before hitting the crossover circuit.

Maybe I'm just bitter and jaded about it all. Won't stop me watching the rest of the show with interest. :)

It's always good to read the views of those who've been there, done that and are still wearing the t shirt.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    I''m also sick of opera singers telling us how hard it is for them to prepare for their roles. Do they really think it's any easier in the West End?
    It's an entirely different discipline, and if they tell you it's hard that's because it is. There’s good reason they rarely if ever perform an opera on consecutive nights..

It's like comparing a "roller" with a roller skate - people retrain for years to move from stage/film into opera and even then very few achieve critical acclaim.