Why the bitter rant from Trevor Eve??

124»

Comments

• DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facepalmer wrote: »
    I've put a thread up on the subject, hopefully there'll be a positive discussion on it :)

I salute your optimism:D
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I salute your optimism:D

LOL :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought about that but I've started too many threads lately :D Go for it.
    I haven't seen any of the Merlin series' but I'm going to start as I recently visited Pierrefond castle where they film the Camelot scenes. Should I bother with the early series or just start from the new one do you reckon?

Definitely worth starting from the beginning because the first series was excellent. Also the last series is directly linked to the new (no spoilers!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Trevor Eve has always been a bit pompous
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :):)I like Trevor Eve etc , they have a right to their view and I also love dr who and sherlock and soem kids programmes and I miss old fashioned type kids programmes like "Wombles", Ivor the engine, Blue peter of old and worzel Gummidge(got box set) its a free world and people can say on the internet or anywhere really their view okay we might not like it but its a demoncratic country or supposed to be , my family aint mad on DW but its a free country A!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think that these people are more tired of the endless media shove of the show. I admit I love Doctor Who and both of its spin-offs (K9 is not a third spin off in my mind) but it is very hard to avoid it, when I'll agree it isn't to everyones taste. These people are entitled to their opinions as much as anyone else, and from the POV of a non-fanatic it does get excessive levels of attention. Its a TV show that has spawned a number of magazines, comics, DVD collections, a stage show, a Prom Event, the aforementioned spin offs and much, much more. Its hard to escape ;)
  • FacepalmerFacepalmer Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I think that these people are more tired of the endless media shove of the show. I admit I love Doctor Who and both of its spin-offs (K9 is not a third spin off in my mind) but it is very hard to avoid it, when I'll agree it isn't to everyones taste. These people are entitled to their opinions as much as anyone else, and from the POV of a non-fanatic it does get excessive levels of attention. Its a TV show that has spawned a number of magazines, comics, DVD collections, a stage show, a Prom Event, the aforementioned spin offs and much, much more. Its hard to escape ;)

That's true to a certain extent, I agree. But IMO it's not half as hard to escape as depressing soaps or reality/so called talent programmes. There's a plethora of x factor and BGT merchandise out there too, let alone in the media. :rolleyes: Xmas tv in particular would be unbearable for me if it weren't for Who, which only gets an hour. How many times is eastenders alone on on xmas day? twice? three times? Seems like more! and it doesn't fill anyone with xmas joy like Who does! I'd say that eastenders takes the lions share of BBC attention rather than Dr Who.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinny wrote: »
    :):)I like Trevor Eve etc , they have a right to their view and I also love dr who and sherlock and soem kids programmes and I miss old fashioned type kids programmes like "Wombles", Ivor the engine, Blue peter of old and worzel Gummidge(got box set) its a free world and people can say on the internet or anywhere really their view okay we might not like it but its a demoncratic country or supposed to be , my family aint mad on DW but its a free country A!

What, have we got a demon Prime Minister? :eek:
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true to a certain extent, I agree. But IMO it's not half as hard to escape as depressing soaps or reality/so called talent programmes. There's a plethora of x factor and BGT merchandise out there too, let alone in the media. :rolleyes: Xmas tv in particular would be unbearable for me if it weren't for Who, which only gets an hour. How many times is eastenders alone on on xmas day? twice? three times? Seems like more! and it doesn't fill anyone with xmas joy like Who does! I'd say that eastenders takes the lions share of BBC attention rather than Dr Who.

Absolutely spot-on!

Who the hell wants to be reminded constantly of the daily grind of work/dole, relationships/divorce, health, money problems, or how so-and-so got booted out of the Big Brother House? Not me!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of escapist fantasy.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    trilobite wrote: »
    Absolutely spot-on!

Who the hell wants to be reminded constantly of the daily grind of work/dole, relationships/divorce, health, money problems, or how so-and-so got booted out of the Big Brother House? Not me!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of escapist fantasy.

Well i am a time lord and watch eastenders because it is good escapist fantasy - a diversion from the daily grind of dalek attacks, tardis malfunctions, sontaran invasions, paradoxes and time lordy red tape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Well i am a time lord and watch eastenders because it is good escapist fantasy - a diversion from the daily grind of dalek attacks, tardis malfunctions, sontaran invasions, paradoxes and time lordy red tape.

Thought you were 'time locked'? :D

I don't have a problem with someone saying "Dr Who is a childrens programme" because it palpably is shown in a early evening viewing slot, although I prefer the description 'Family viewing'.
    I DO have a problem with someone saying "It's a childrens programme and adults shouldn't watch it because of that!"

Presumably Star Trek, Babylon 5, Blakes 7, Merlin, Primeval and loads of other shows are also not suitable for adults to watch as well !

Seems a bit of an elitist/pseudo-intellectual conceit to run a very successful show down on that basis..
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just picked up on this story after being on holiday and I'm gobsmacked by Trevor Eve's hypocrisy. :eek::mad:

So he has a problem with the money the BBC spends on DW?

Well ...

Perhaps Trevor would care to come clean about just how much Licence Fee payers' money he personally has wasted on Waking The Dead.

Yes, that's right, Trevor, I'm talking about all those times you went on set at the start of a new story, threw your toys out of the pram about the script because you didn't like parts of it, then demanded re-writes that at best meant all the cast had to relearn all their lines and the schedule was blown to pieces (so pushing the show over budget); or, at worst, had a tantrum that lasted for weeks and meant the entire cast and crew had to be stood down while everyone danced in attendance to your whims - thereby costing the BBC hundreds of thousands of pounds. Allegedly, of course ... ;) Perhaps a journalist should look into that? :rolleyes:

Trevor's MO on WTD is well-known across the industry - it has even been discussed in interviews for posts on the show - so all this pathetically bitter outburst succeeds in doing is making him look incredibly stupid.

Sure, DW went over budget for Series 5 - but at least that wasn't down to one man's immature selfishness. It is time the BBC stood up to him, threw him off the show and admitted just how much of a liability he actually is ... and a charmless one, at that.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »
    What, have we got a demon Prime Minister? :eek:

No, he buggered off a couple of years ago.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Thought you were 'time locked'? :D

I don't have a problem with someone saying "Dr Who is a childrens programme" because it palpably is shown in a early evening viewing slot, although I prefer the description 'Family viewing'.
    I DO have a problem with someone saying "It's a childrens programme and adults shouldn't watch it because of that!"

Presumably Star Trek, Babylon 5, Blakes 7, Merlin, Primeval and loads of other shows are also not suitable for adults to watch as well !

Seems a bit of an elitist/pseudo-intellectual conceit to run a very successful show down on that basis..

LOL, perhaps they should introduce a pre-8 o'clock watershed where adults are banned from watching television programmes unless they are in the company of a suitable child...Esther Rantzen could be drafted in for an infomercial detailing how the system will work :D