Provisional Licence no longer ID in my local council

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
During this week, the local council authority decided in its own mind, that from now on, a provisional licence is not a form of id, so burger

Today 7 customer with alcohol. I asked them for id, and low and behold, they bring out there provisional licence, I apologize, and profoundly explain, I cant accept this as id, any more, due to a change in the licencing

Dont know how many have been refused, but it is upwards of 50, and the complaints are coming in fast and furious, but what customers dont understand it has nothing to do with us, its the licencing authority who is at blame

Today is the 17 March, and its St Patrick Day, and alot of people like to celebrate by drinking, unfortunate they might not be able to do this, this weekend, and only knows how many customers are going to be refused the alcohol

Comments

• Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Really getting stupid with their policies. Has a local driving instructor been pressuring the council?
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    So what are they suggesting? Everyone needs a passport to be able to drink, if they can't drive?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    So what are they suggesting? Everyone needs a passport to be able to drink, if they can't drive?

A passport that if I recall is meant to be kept safe and not be carried around on one's person just in case they want a drink.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they wish to ensure that people have made a substantial monetary investment in their form of ID (passport application and holiday or driving lessons and tests for a driving licence) to make it more trustworthy. But that's my opinion, not necessarily fact. I take it that PASS accredited ID has also been removed as a form of ID, otherwise this move seems nonsensical?

I'd love to know the reasoning behind this from the licensing authority and whether PASS accredited ID is also no longer an accepted form of ID.
    Forum Member
    I'd love to know the reasoning behind this from the licensing authority and whether PASS accredited ID is also no longer an accepted form of ID.

PASS accredited ID has always been a joke anyway, nearly everywhere around here used to just claim they were fake for little or no reason. I've not seen anyone try to use one in ages.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I hope other councils don't start doing the same thing. I currently only have a provisional license as a form of ID and its all well and good saying get a passport but I can't afford one or have any real need for one.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    The way things are going, in about 20 years we'll all have to get DNA tests at the checkout. Smaller shops will have retina and/or fingerprint scans. :(
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way things are going, in about 20 years we'll all have to get DNA tests at the checkout. Smaller shops will have retina and/or fingerprint scans. :(

Step away from the paranoia.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet my full licence wouldn't be accepted either, it's not a photo one. It probably wouldn't even occur to them that anyone with a driving licence that old must be over 18! I was asked for ID in Tesco when buying wine at the age of 39, I had nothing that they'd accept. The stupid checkout person kept saying I should take it as a compliment. I didn't and there is absolutely no way that I look younger than say 30...
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    I bet my full licence wouldn't be accepted either, it's not a photo one. It probably wouldn't even occur to them that anyone with a driving licence that old must be over 18!

At least they could check that you hadn't borrowed, or stolen, it from someone older because they would just look at the photo and ... oh hang on, it doesn't have one. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First it'll be Challenge 40, then Challenge 50, then Challenge All. PASS accredited ID will be no longer an accepted form of ID, which means expensive forms of ID for all. They'll turn their attention to Internet retailers and stop people using VISA Electron and Solo cards buying any age restricted item from UK retailers - which will completely stuff those on poor credit ratings and the poorest who can't get a VISA debit, Mastercard or other form of debit or credit card. I mean, question to the licensing authorities, where do you want it to end?

If anyone is being paranoid, it's the licensing authorities and the Government that keeping introducing more and more draconian measures for age restricted items.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    During this week, the local council authority decided in its own mind, that from now on, a provisional licence is not a form of id, so burger

Today 7 customer with alcohol. I asked them for id, and low and behold, they bring out there provisional licence, I apologize, and profoundly explain, I cant accept this as id, any more, due to a change in the licencing

Dont know how many have been refused, but it is upwards of 50, and the complaints are coming in fast and furious, but what customers dont understand it has nothing to do with us, its the licencing authority who is at blame

Today is the 17 March, and its St Patrick Day, and alot of people like to celebrate by drinking, unfortunate they might not be able to do this, this weekend, and only knows how many customers are going to be refused the alcohol

Why wasn't it flagged up well in advance ? or is it , as I suspect, a deliberate attempt by some clown at the council, to piss people off ?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Credit to roland rat for keeping us up to date with the age restricted changes in Scotland.
    Just don't shoot the messenger!
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they won't be able to get pissed? :D

Give it another 5 years and a new National ID scheme will appear and, since young people will used to carrying ID, they will be all for it.

Plus some older people will also be used to carrying a Photo ID on the buses so they probably won't object either.

Next idea after Chip and PIN will be Chip and Fingerprint. No PIN to remember and more secure.

I don't know why the didn't just introduce a Photo National Insurance card and catch the 16 - 18 year olds whilst they are still at school and they can have their photo countersigned by a teacher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Give it another 5 years and a new National ID scheme will appear and, since young people will used to carrying ID, they will be all for it.
    Nah, an ID card scheme would be cheaper for end users and make the Government less money, so it wouldn't go ahead. They'll keep the passport/full photo driving licence as ID because they cost far more money (and bring in far more revenue) to obtain and renew, without the anger from privacy groups and other members of the public.

It's just a pain for the poorest who can't afford either, or to go on holiday or to run a car.
    Forum Member
    Nah, an ID card scheme would be cheaper for end users and make the Government less money, so it wouldn't go ahead.

Weren't the ID cards going to be basically the same price as a passport when they were suggested before?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with a provisional if a full licence is ok?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Weren't the ID cards going to be basically the same price as a passport when they were suggested before?

Not originally, but as the likely costs spiralled out of control it was indeed said that the ID cards would cost around the same as passports.

It wasn't the idea of the ID card themselves most people had problems with, it was the proposals for the huge database behind it. Every piece of information about you on all public databases linked to it, and the fact that private companies were to be allowed access to it, and to share their databases with the ID card database too, that had most people opposed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not originally, but as the likely costs spiralled out of control it was indeed said that the ID cards would cost around the same as passports.

It wasn't the idea of the ID card themselves most people had problems with, it was the proposals for the huge database behind it. Every piece of information about you on all public databases linked to it, and the fact that private companies were to be allowed access to it, and to share their databases with the ID card database too, that had most people opposed.

and we all know how well government databases are run and how secure they are!
    Forum Member

Well yeah, that does seem the point of this thread. Maybe the council decided for whatever reason that people with a full license were more trustworthy? Or maybe someone suggested that provisional licenses were easier to fake or something. Trying to guess the motivations of local councils is not exactly an easy task though lol.

So it would seem the majority of the cost would have been for the database then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah, that does seem the point of this thread. Maybe the council decided for whatever reason that people with a full license were more trustworthy? Or maybe someone suggested that provisional licenses were easier to fake or something. Trying to guess the motivations of local councils is not exactly an easy task though lol.

Back in the day I used to have a fake NUS card. I made it myself. It never failed me once. Back then though pretty much anything was accepted as ID.
    Forum Member
    Back in the day I used to have a fake NUS card. I made it myself. It never failed me once. Back then though pretty much anything was accepted as ID.

My brother used to use my birth certificate as ID lol.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A provisional can be got by anyone, but a full licence can't, you have to have gone in for a driving test and it confirms who you are!... well allegedly....;)

I didn't think a provisional was ever ok as a form of identity?....

But op.. if you have had that many you have had to refuse!, is it such a bad thing?.... just goes to show how many youngsters there are that are drinking!......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is all getting a bit silly now. They are overly strict and to be honest I can not see what benefits it brings?

I am seeing more than ever, kids drinking. There certainly has been no reduction in anti social behaviour. All it seems to have achieved in doing is pi55ing your everday customer off.
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope other councils don't start doing the same thing. I currently only have a provisional license as a form of ID and its all well and good saying get a passport but I can't afford one or have any real need for one.

:eek: