Options

Does Chris Rock encourage racial divisions and strife?

GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I happened to record part of his stand up show Bigger and Blacker the other night. I was struck again with the ugly "message" of the show which included stuff about blacks hating whites and generally stirring up his mainly black audience. It seemed similar to what you'd get from a Louie Farrakhan rally. A lot of shouting nasty and divisive stuff.

He was also very misogynistic - women are only good for one thing, men are only interested in eating sleeping and ****ing - so shut the **** up women - type thing. It's the sort of "culture" which seems to have been on the rise in recent times fueling rape crimes.

The odd thing is the rapture that greets his deeply unpleasant rants. He might say something like, all the women in the audience are dirty ****ing **** and the women will shriek with delight clapping furiously and the men will make that "ooh" "ooh" chant like football fans or Zulu warriors going to war.

And yet I'm not really aware of him having bad "publicity" for all this. And yes what would be said about a white comedian coming out with similar deeply unpleasant and ugly stuff?

Comments

• Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair most of his schtick is geared towards American audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair most of his schtick is geared towards American audiences.

Er, and your point is?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not watched thst but in general I do find him funny. His black men v n****** is hilarious.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's actually a very intelligent comedian. Some of the points he makes with his "rants" are really quite good.

If you're looking for anything sinister in his comedy then you're really looking far too hard and taking it far too seriously.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I've not watched thst but in general I do find him funny. His black men v n****** is hilarious.

Yeah, and so true too. " I take care of my kids!" "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!" :D
  • Options
    Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »
    Er, and your point is?

different culture, mindset.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But a lot of his material is Black vs. Black (or rather Black vs. N), so that's not inter-racial surely?

My image of his act is far more anti-black than anti-white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked his line that went something like "for my daughter, my one job as a father, my ONLY job as a father is to keep her off the pole" :)
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually I find most comedians tedious but I do like Chris Rock. This is, erm, fairly straight to the point ..
    All you crazy white people "I'm American!", all you did was come out of your mother's pussy on American soil. That's it. That's it! What, you think you're better than somebody from France 'cause you came out of a pussy in Detroit?

He takes the p*** out of those who take themselves incredibly seriously, celebs, world affairs, relationships, etc. He tends to be accurate which I think makes some people uncomfortable.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    I find him really funny and see his material quite differently.

Rather than stirring up racial hatred he comments on racial issues and makes fun of them.

Similar with his misogynisitc material, from what I've seen he's very good at observing the differences between men and women and issues in relationships etc.

While some people may perceive it as racism and sexism, I think the reason a lot of people find him very funny is that they recognise that what he's saying is extremely accurate. He dares to speak the truth unlike other tamer comedians who prefer to shy away from sensitive topics.

Also, while most of his stuff is aimed at a US audience, I think a lot of it is universal and works just as well for a British audience. We have blacks, whites, men and women in this country too! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's actually a very intelligent comedian. Some of the points he makes with his "rants" are really quite good.

If you're looking for anything sinister in his comedy then you're really looking far too hard and taking it far too seriously.

I've seen Bigger and Blacker - have you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »

Rather than stirring up racial hatred he comments on racial issues and makes fun of them.

Similar with his misogynisitc material, from what I've seen he's very good at observing the differences between men and women and issues in relationships etc.

While some people may perceive it as racism and sexism, I think the reason a lot of people find him very funny is that they recognise that what he's saying is extremely accurate. He dares to speak the truth unlike other tamer comedians who prefer to shy away from sensitive topics.

Also, while most of his stuff is aimed at a US audience, I think a lot of it is universal and works just as well for a British audience. We have blacks, whites, men and women in this country too! :)

He is referring to BLACK women. None of the women I know are like the bitches he talks about.
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's funny and he does make some good points.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the one that's been shown on the Comedy Central Channel lately, that was partly filmed in South Africa, USA and England? If so, I LOVE IT!
  • Options
    vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    I love Chris Rock, and no, he doesn't stir up racial divisions, he observes existing racial divisions (as well as other social divisions) and comments on them in an intelligent and extremely funny manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »

Great post, I think you are spot on! I would kill to go and see him live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Yeah, and so true too. " I take care of my kids!" "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO!" :D

I loved that! Chris Rock speaks the TRUTH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the one that's been shown on the Comedy Central Channel lately, that was partly filmed in South Africa, USA and England? If so, I LOVE IT!

No that's Kill the Messenger.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, very funny bloke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No that's Kill the Messenger.

Oh ok. I will have to try and source this Bigger and Blacker thing then.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I hope that Live Earth ends global warming the same way the Live Aid ended world poverty"

In an interview at Live Earth in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok. I will have to try and source this Bigger and Blacker thing then.

It's good and very funny.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    He is referring to BLACK women. None of the women I know are like the bitches he talks about.

Oh, I don't know,...
    See... Relationships are hard, man. For order, for any relationship to work, both people have to be on the same page, both people have to have the same focus, and we all know what that page is. We all know what that focus is. In order for the relationship to work both people have to have the same focus, and what's that focus? That focus is all about HER! It's all about her!

Fellas, when you wake up in the morning, you should look yourself in the mirror and say, "F*CK YOU! F*ck your hopes, f*ck your dreams, f*ck your plans … f*ck everything you thought this life was going to bring to you. Now let's go out there and try to make this bitch happy."

But here's what they don't tell you. You can never make a woman happy, it's impossible. I've never met a happy woman in my life. They're always complaining about something. You can f*ck a woman with a diamond dick and make her come ten times, and she'll still complain. "Why did you make me come so hard? This diamond dick is cloudy, why didn't you go to Tiffany's? You're so f*cking cheap!"

...Sounds pretty universal to me! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, i've seen all of his stand up work. Along with most of the films he's starred in, as well as "Everybody Hates Chris" on TV.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy most of his humour. Sure it's controversial at times but I see him as a successor to the likes of Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce who covered similar ground.