Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmylad wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty of websites which have shown live TV footage of the Swansea match...

thanks Jimmylad, I'm sure there were however I am blind so a radio commentary is better for me and, unless the video commentary was in English, it wouldn't have been any use to me unfortunately. :)
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    jimmylad wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty of websites which have shown live TV footage of the Swansea match...

Yes, although it's stealing.

Ian Danter and Stewart Robson are on talkSPORT Live commentary duty this evening for Everton v Manchester United.
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Richard Connelly was making his talkSPORT debut (obviously for talkSPORT Live, but I don't believe he's worked on the main station before although that may change)

Indeed it may, very soon ;)
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have any idea when the PL radio rights from next season onwards might be announced?

Any idea when it was last time?
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,568
    Forum Member
    IRN - Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 August 2012
    Arsenal v Sunderland Andrew Cheal
    Fulham v Norwich Elliot Cook
    QPR v Swansea Nigel Bidmead
    Reading v Stoke Sam Fleet
    WBA v Liverpool Clive Edwards
    West Ham v Aston Villa Kevin Hatchard
    Newcastle v Tottenham Ali Ross
    Wigan v Chelsea Peter Smith
    Man City v Southampton Darren Stannage
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when the PL radio rights from next season onwards might be announced?

Any idea when it was last time?

I've no firm knowledge of when the next set of national Premier League radio rights are to be announced, but with thanks to Media Guardian's online archive, I have managed to pull up a list of the dates when the last four radio rights deals (since negotiations for the rights became competitive) were announced. Those dates were:

2001/02 to 2003/04 - Tuesday 28th November 2000
    2004/05 to 2006/07 - Friday 4th June 2004
    2007/08 to 2009/10 - Tuesday 10th October 2006
    2010/11 to 2012/13 - Thursday 18th February 2010

Going by that, you'd expect the negotiations to be concluded in the autumn or winter months but I wouldn't like to narrow things down any further until we get word of when the rights are due to go out to tender. If you are wondering about the real lateness of the 2004 deal, at this point in time relations between 5 Live and talkSPORT were very frosty and the rights were being sold on an all-or-nothing basis, these days the relationship between all three stations involved is much more congenial so you'd expect things to be agreed much sooner than that. In my opinion the smart money has to be on things remaining pretty much the same as they are now.

In other news, fair play to Radio 5 Live for prioritising the Challenge Cup Final between Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves on Saturday at 2.30pm ahead of a Premier League commentary. This is the kind of thing the people who voiced concerns about football having such dominance over other sports on 5 Live to the BBC Trust were talking about, so I'm glad to see that their management seem to be addressing this in light of the Trust report.

In such circumstances, I often wonder if Radio 5 Live effectively (if not officially) defer the Saturday 3pm first pick over to the second pick rights holders - it has been noticeable that talkSPORT and Absolute have had the choice Saturday 3pm games on afternoons when 5 Live have prioritised rugby union in previous seasons - and it seems to be the case in this instance. Absolute Radio will be doing commentary on Manchester United v Fulham on Saturday, nine times out of ten whenever the Red Devils play in the 3pm timeslot they will be chosen by 5 Live.

In sponsorship news, Sky Sports have renewed their lead sponsorship of both talkSPORT and Absolute's live Premier League coverage for another season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 20th August - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Monday Night Fiest Night alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    Everton v Manchester United - Graham Beecroft (with, as mentioned a few times already, Ian Danter and Stewart Robson commentating for talkSPORT Live)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everton v Manchester United
    BBC Radio Merseyside Ian Kennedy and Ronnie Goodlass (commentary)
    Radio City 96.7 Alan Irwin and Graeme Sharp (commentary)
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Difference, nothing seems imminent then!

It's Connor McNamara, John Murray and Pat Nevin for 5Live tonight.
  • Options
    Jamie JayJamie Jay Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Any news on five live dropping to one commentator. Was supposed to happen this season. Two there tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »

some of the comments on the article are laughable. will 5live only commentate on half a game to give the overworked commentators a break being my particular favourite. obviously there are no other radio examples of only one commentator and one summeriser covering a game. oh wait...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Thanks Difference, nothing seems imminent then!

It's Connor McNamara, John Murray and Pat Nevin for 5Live tonight.

just to add, it was Colin Murray presenting 5live sport tonight.
  • Options
    Rich_McLeanRich_McLean Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Devon - Tuesday 21st August 2012 (1900-2200)

Alan Richardson Presents BBC Radio Devon Sport from the Plymouth Seymour Road Studios

League 2 Commentary
    Aldershot v Exeter City - John Ayers and Gary Andrews - 990MW, 95.8FM in Exeter, 801MW in North Devon, DAB in North Devon, Exeter and Torbay
    Dagenham & Redbridge v Plymouth Argyle - Peter Guise and Chris Webb - 95.7FM and DAB in Plymouth
    Torquay Utd v Cheltneham Town - Hamish Marshall (subject to change) and Steeve Breed - 1458MW in Torbay Only

A lot of infills tomorrow tonight from the normal line up. Gordon Sparks is Argyles normal commentator, but he only does Weekends now, which is a shame. Please note that Torquay's commentator could be filled by Alan Richardson at short notice
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't even seem that 5Live are putting a game on Sports Extra on Saturday at 3pm which strikes me as strange. In the past they have relegated a game to Sports Extra for events sush as the Grand National. Could it be that they see this as an opportunity to hold back a game for rearranged midweek matches later in the season which could have greater significance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    It doesn't even seem that 5Live are putting a game on Sports Extra on Saturday at 3pm which strikes me as strange. In the past they have relegated a game to Sports Extra for events sush as the Grand National. Could it be that they see this as an opportunity to hold back a game for rearranged midweek matches later in the season which could have greater significance?

5lsx are busy all Saturday with the T 20 finals day so the option of putting a football match on there wasn't available to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Scotland - Tuesday 21st August 2012

Sportsound presented by Richard Gordon live from Pacific Quay with Kenny Shiels.

Champions League Commentary
    Helsingsborg v. Celtic - Liam McLeod & Murdo MacLeod with Chris McLaughlin pitchside

Updates: Ramsdens Cup Second Round Falkirk v. The Rangers - Chick Young
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5lsx are busy all Saturday with the T 20 finals day so the option of putting a football match on there wasn't available to them.

That explains it. Absolute Radio will have been handed the top pick 3pm game of Manchester United v Fulham by default then.

I listened to talkSPORT Live's commentary on Everton v Manchester United last night - Ian Danter and Stewart Robson produced an excellent commentary as you would expect of them and they also did well with an hour of build-up beforehand. I caught a bit of Brila FM, the Nigerian station taking talkSPORT Live commentaries, and their coverage around the game. It was like nothing I have heard before, and I must say quite brilliant. I didn't catch the presenter's name but he was football phone-in equivalent of a "hype man", inviting callers on by greeting them in Afrikaans and consistently responding to their points by saying "I feel you brother", all the while being backed by some dance music backing track. Great to hear something so different to the norm. It was noticeable that, unlike Radio Sport New Zealand, they have already gained sponsorship for their coverage with Peter Odemwingie recording a message endorsing talkSPORT and Brila's coverage.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    BBC WM LINE UP
    Mark Regan and Rob Gurney:Sheff Wednesday v Brmingham
    Adam Bridge:Wolves v Barnsley
    Phil Cartwright:Oldham v Walsall
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC London 94.9
    Bristol City v Crystal Palace Nick Godwin and Bradley Allen (FM commentary)
    Charlton v Leiceter Jamie Reed
    Peterborough v Millwall Andrea Warth
    Watford v Ipswich Jamie Hill
    Brentford vYeovil Bill Reeves
    Leyton Orient v Stevenage Dave Victor
    Barnet v Bristol Rovers Karl Bates
    Dagenham and Redbridge v Plymouth Stuart Smith
    Burton v AFC Wimbledon Mark Taylor
    Studio Elliot Cook (sports news)

I am off to watch Wealdstone v East Thurrock tonight (in the Ryman League Premier) so will be a bit out of reach with regards to the radio tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 21st August - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside Matt Holland

Championship
    Blackpool v Leeds United - Grahame Lloyd
    Bolton Wanderers v Derby County - Dave Rowe
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Cardiff City - Richard Connelly
    Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Geoff Peters
    Charlton Athletic v Leicester City - Tony Incenzo
    Huddersfield Town v Nottingham Forest - Simon Humphreys
    Middlesbrough v Burnley - Graham Courtney
    Peterborough United v Millwall - Kev Lawrence
    Sheffield Wednesday v Birmingham City - John Temple
    Watford v Ipswich Town - Ian Abrahams
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Barnsley - Ian Danter

Having commentated on Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur on talkSPORT Live on Saturday, former BBC World Service man Richard Connelly is making his debut on talkSPORT "proper" tonight. They are not carrying reports on Helsingborg v Celtic which is disappointing.

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting WM Sport from Hillsborough

Championship
    Sheffield Wednesday v Birmingham City - Rob Gurney and Mark Regan (commentary)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Barnsley - Adam Bridge

League One
    Oldham Athletic v Walsall - Phil Cartwright

Gold (West Midlands)

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from Hillsborough

Championship
    Sheffield Wednesday v Birmingham City - Tom Ross and ? (Gold Birmingham commentary)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Barnsley - Steve Hermon and Steve Daley (Gold Black Country and Shropshire commentary)

League One
    Coventry City v Sheffield United - Joe Holt and Dave Bennett (Gold Coventry & Warwickshire commentary)

Anyone have the details of who is on co-commentary duty at Hillsborough tonight and who was Gold's commentary team for Birmingham City's game against Charlton at the weekend?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester

Charles Dagnall with BBC Radio Leicester Sport.

Championship
    Charlton v Leicester City - Ian Stringer and Alan Young (commentary)

Conference North
    Brackley v Hinckley United - Andy Gibbs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Derby

Ed Dawes with Sportscene live from the Reebok Stadium.

Championship
    Bolton v Derby County - Colin Bloomfield and Roger Davies (FM commentary)

League Two
    Burton Albion v AFC Wimbledon - Charles Collins and Tony Bentley (AM commentary)
    Chesterfield v Rochdale - Paul Fisher
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio 5 Live - 21/8/2012

With Ian Payne

Helsingborg v Celtic - Roddy Forsyth

Blackpool v Leeds - Dave Woods (Mike Sewell + Jimmy Armfield for Sports Extra)
    Bolton v Derby - Juliette Ferrington
    Huddersfield v Nott Forest - Peter Slater
    Sheff Wed v Birmingham - Darren Fletcher + Craig Burley (commentary)
    Watford v Ipswich - Simon Mann
    Wolves v Barnsley - Steve May

Coventry v Sheff Utd - Conor McNamara
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol and BBC Zummerzet (Saturday)

*Edited by Ian Cleverly in order to make it more presentable*

Geoff Twentyman (studio host)

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City - Alistair Durden and Adam Baker (94.9FM / DAB)
    Bristol Rovers v Oxford United - Ed Hadwin and Keith Brookman (1548MW) (Eventually, after a few problems with the line from the Mem)
    Yeovil Town v Coventry City - Richard Hoskin and Chris spittles (95.5FM)

Weston-super-Mare V Hayes & Yeading - Neil Evans