People Like Us (The Only Way Is Harpurhey) BBC 3

Comments

• mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    did it say how long they had been together?? also did I see right that she was wearing pink fluffy slippers too??

She was indeed. Bizarre.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was working class after viewing this I know I'm middle class lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    She was indeed. Bizarre.

she is, and she certainly didnt mince her words with Lucy.
    Forum Member

Aristocracy, surely :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in that area in my youth, nothing has changed.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this a joke?! :eek:

She was worried about her daughters being raped or murdered in Magaluf, so made them watch Taken beforehand to make them wary?!!!?!!! :eek: :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie is a catch, I am on the bus now, he is mine.
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    Was this a joke?! :eek:

She was worried about her daughters being raped or murdered in Magaluf, so made them watch Taken beforehand to make them wary?!!!?!!! :eek: :eek:

It was brilliant, all said with such a serious face as well. I loved how the family all had to go and see her off as if she was going to war. Presumably in case she was sold to the sex trade in Shagaluf and they never saw her again!
  • DigitalPervDigitalPerv Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    That 25yr old was bent as anything.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely bizarre!

How did Nicky afford all those pets and breed chihuahuas?!

And what's with all the 'bold' wallpaper, zebra print? really?

Entertaining, but not sure what it was trying to achieve.
  • kate53kate53 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    preston41 wrote: »
    Jamie is a catch, I am on the bus now, he is mine.

Fight you for him..............
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this programme because in the 60's I went to Harpurhey High School for Girls which was THE school to go to. And the whole area was fields!! What the heck happened? We left Manchester in 1968, I guess time happened.....
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Having grown up in Harpurhey I dont know what to make of the show. Yes most of it is like that, yes most of the people are like that. But there are also some really decent people there and its unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

Had to laugh when Diana Dior came out singing "Daddy I've fallen for a monster" with the oversized black d*ld0 in her hands.

The thing that surprised me the most is they glossed over the biggest problem Harpurhey is facing at the moment – the underlying racial tension.
    Mark my words it is about to kick off there bigtime.

Found a good review here: http://itsonthetellystupid.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/forget-towie-the-only-way-is-harpurhey/
    The first half of People Like Us, we have to admit, had us squirming in our seats. The folk we met weren’t always the best and brightest Manchester has to offer, while others were (we felt) in need of a bloody good slap.

But then it occurred to us – there’s no fakery here, no scriptwriter pulling strings or putting words in mouths – this is life exactly it happens: complicated, messy, inarticulate, sweary and very much in your face.

People Like Us doesn’t try to present a picture-perfect image of an imperfect place. Instead, it offers a glimpse of a reality some of us have, perhaps, chosen to ignore – maybe even gone so far as tried to escape. But beneath the bad language and tortured syntax, the emotions are as powerful and primeval as they come: a parent’s fear for her child, a lover’s worry for her partner, and the pain of heartbreak when a relationship goes wrong.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,845
    Forum Member

Yeah. me too. Damn, I'm positively part of The Creme of Edinburgh's Cafe Society after watching this.

Although I enjoyed watching it, I felt strangely depressed afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    This is an 'acted documentary', am I right? In the vein of Towie, MiC, The Hills etc etc

I totally thought they were making a sequel to the Chris Langham 'People Like Us' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtRUrEaRA0). So disappointed.
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Its not scripted. I doubt the majority of the cast would be able to follow a script. Half of them dont even look like they can read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    Its not scripted. I doubt the majority of the cast would be able to follow a script. Half of them dont even look like they can read.

No I don't mean scripted, I mean TOWIE style acting where they take people, create a basic situation and tell them what to say, probably do re-takes etc.

Not a documentary where they are just filming what happens.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    diary_room wrote: »
    No I don't mean scripted, I mean TOWIE style acting where they take people, create a basic situation and tell them what to say, probably do re-takes etc.

I don't think it's intended to be in the same mould as TOWIE, although obvious comparisons have been made. Seems more like a docusoap than 'constructed reality' where it's quite obvious scenes are staged and storylines are created. I wouldn't say that was the case here, although obviously editing in itself can be quite manipulative and I'm sure some elements have been contrived by the producers (that lad doing his drag show in the local pub for example seems like something that would have been decided by the producers rather than himself).
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How bad is that Lauderette with all its hand written notices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That 25yr old was bent as anything.

Agreed.Didnt see it all, but the first time I saw him and her (not the tv show) I thought, what, he's gay! and the kiss :eek: It was only a peck... but still.And thought it was creepy when she was saying that she would never be able to have kids, and she is with this young alcoholic lad, it seems like a very odd/not right situation. But maybe he's get to not work, get drunk maybe get 'some' and she got the child she always wanted... it would work out well for them both. I assumed she worked at least, having to feed the animals and live off dole must be a challenge.

Also, that tool. Hated him, and when he was sat on the couch and you could see this bare sock....and it had a hole in it! Sure it happens to us at some point, but if it were me, I would sat differently, and if asked by producers, I would try not to have to.
    Forum Member
    How bad is that Lauderette with all its hand written notices.

anno!!

It just all looked very...wrong.. and not even a place I would dare to venture in, it looked as though if you walked in they would just all sit there and stare at you.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »

Interesting that both Amber and Codie are with Laine Management casting agency. I think you could be right.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    preston41 wrote: »
    I used to live in that area in my youth, nothing has changed.

Depends on when that was. I have relatives who lived there in the 1950s and it was very different then.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Did her husband utter a single word? The whole thing was rather weird.

Seems he will marry anything to get a UK visa.......

That HAS to be the reason!

And as for that gormless girl, in love with the fat lad (he is an arsehole)....... at first I thought the mum was harsh, but she was actually trying to make the girl see sense........ he was hopeless, didn't want her, and she needed to be told.........

sad to say, she will never get anyone better, (only thinking he was ace because he didn't beat her up) because she looked like a female version of Sloth out of The Goonies...