People Like Us (The Only Way Is Harpurhey) BBC 3

Comments

• maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Dale was on Sun, Sex and suspicious parents a few weeks back, I knew I recognised him and his mum from somewhere
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helenaka wrote: »
    Yes, he is her father.

I thought he was the younger sister's dad but not hers. Amber called him Paul at one point.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he is her father.

They way he ogles that amber thing is creepy, as for the amber thing she seems like a dense ignorant little madam.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was working class after viewing this I know I'm middle class lol

Nothing wrong with being working class, but these "people" are part of the underclass.
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    Having grown up in Harpurhey I dont know what to make of the show. Yes most of it is like that, yes most of the people are like that. But there are also some really decent people there and its unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

Had to laugh when Diana Dior came out singing "Daddy I've fallen for a monster" with the oversized black d*ld0 in her hands.

The thing that surprised me the most is they glossed over the biggest problem Harpurhey is facing at the moment – the underlying racial tension.
    Mark my words it is about to kick off there bigtime.

Found a good review here: http://itsonthetellystupid.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/forget-towie-the-only-way-is-harpurhey/

Yes, in rough areas everybody gets classed as the same, which is a shame.

People are too afraid to refer to race issues these days for fear of being labelled "racist". All that has achieved is to force whispered discussion underground to fester.
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    Its not scripted. I doubt the majority of the cast would be able to follow a script. Half of them dont even look like they can read.

That "Traveller" woman openly said that the household was illiterate whist speaking to somebody on the 'phone in tonights programme.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If you're talking about chris and nikki, I think you may have missed a bit .... nikki used to be nigel.

I took Scotty_c.man to mean that, because of the age difference, he thought that the relationship would provide her with a ready made son in her partner, as opposed to them actually having a baby together.
    DamienS wrote: »
    Its a shame the gay guy had to be onto drag!

He seemed pretty normal, owning a shop.

most gay men aren't camp drag queens, but another show that makes that look likr the norm

Yes, that was very stereotypical wasn't it.
    Mind you, I have to say her flat (although not to my taste) was the cleanest, tidiest and decorated - which is more than you can say for most of them! ;)

...but she did explain that the wallpaper, clock etc were obtained by shoplifting.

I wonder why the police don't do anything when someone openly admits to a crime on film and it is broadcast?

Are we now so soft in this country that these people feel quite happy and comfortable breaking the law and then casually chatting about it on national television?
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The underclass are so uneducated that they struggle to communicate vocally. Any coherent words are often used erroneously, a good example is the post about the use of the word "unanimous".

Their vocabulary is just one notch up from baby talk...
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suprised Amber got a place in drama school, her Shakespeare sounded awful.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »

I don't think she realises that there's a difference between 'acting' and just quoting from memory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    I don't think she realises that there's a difference between 'acting' and just quoting from memory.

:D Perfectly put.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That old woman taking a crap in the launderette, wtf :D

Ambers mother reminds of Chyna :p
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I took Scotty_c.man to mean that, because of the age difference, he thought that the relationship would provide her with a ready made son in her partner, as opposed to them actually having a baby together..............

It's possible. However, not really worth going back to check.
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show its like Shameless but real. I think Paul the dad from the laundrette is like a clean shaven sober Frank Gallagher. :D I loved listening to him whinging on about living in a house full of women.

How many episodes does this show have ? BBC 3 are onto a winner here. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I've only seen the first episode, so my opinion is judged entirely on that so far.

This could have been an amazing show that showed a personable account of working class life on an estate, and there was some great moments (the drag queen at the working men's club, the culture of extended family), but it veered into the too predictable territory of crime etc and showed the underclass as normal. Maybe that was the shows intention, but I personally don't think it was representative and gave into showing stereotypes far too easily.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member

...but she did explain that the wallpaper, clock etc were obtained by shoplifting.

Did I hear right, that she got the CARPET by shoplifting? How do you shoplift a roll of carpet??!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being working class, but these "people" are part of the underclass.

I took Scotty_c.man to mean that, because of the age difference, he thought that the relationship would provide her with a ready made son in her partner, as opposed to them actually having a baby together.
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It's possible. However, not really worth going back to check.

Richardcoulter was right, saw the part where she was going through the photos and found she was once a fella. Staying on them though, I found their relationship really strange and was hoping to see more of them in last nights episode, so was a bit disappointed. Have to say that even though it was a slightly grim watch, it was still entertaining, and no offence to the these people, but it made me feel better about my situation and the things I have in my life. I think I would struggle to live like them.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooo totally missed this! Must find it on catch up, grew up a couple of miles from harpurhey & learned to swim at the spooky harpurhey baths :-).
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this with the subtitles on as I couldn't understand everything that was been said. Don't know who did the subtitles, but everytime someone used the word 'nowt' it was shown as 'nought' !!
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he is her father.
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I thought he was the younger sister's dad but not hers. Amber called him Paul at one point.
    They way he ogles that amber thing is creepy, as for the amber thing she seems like a dense ignorant little madam.

That third quote......from Rowan

you saying that Paul is creepy from ogling his daughter/step daughter (Amber) is BANG out of order......

I've watched both episodes.......and not seen one but of evidence to support your view.

He looks like frank gallagher with a haircut, (and you can hear and see the snippet of humour when he complains about living with crazy women)

They might seem a bit rough and ready, but between him and the mother, they own and run a laundrette and have another daughter (and act like a surrogate family to Amber's friend)

And are no doubt would have helped support their daughter through University...... (she might have bonkers eyebrows and makeup, but underneath she is a pretty girl, clearly studies hard to get her A-Levels/Btec and wants something better)

Rather have them as parents, than be like Nicola who had that gobby illiterate traveller woman and her alcoholic ex (who ironically sounds like the better of her 'parents' ) or the guy in prison for murder,
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow there are some nasty judgemental comments on here. If you can write stuff like that you're really in no position to slag off others. Rowan...'the amber thing'...wtf does that mean?? Seems like a perfectly nice girl to me & a whole lot more respectful of others than you. Nuff said!
  • kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pianoforte wrote: »

Amber was not offered a place in Drama School. She was offered a conditional place at Essex University. Funny how my daughter got proper letters from the unis she applied for but Amber gets texts! There are no loans/grants available for Drama School, you have to pay for everything!

I live in Harpurhey and most of the people I know are decent and hardworking.

Paul's comment about half of Harpurhey having been in Strangeways is a loads of codswallop. 52% of the population are female and Strangeways is a male only prison. You cannot see Strangeways from any part of Harpurhey other than the one and only tower block in the area.

I don't know why I bother tuning in tbh. Maybe I'll go into hiding next Wednesday ...... Rant over!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judge at that rap battle: "The decision was unanimous... 3 to 1."

Brilliant!

:eek:

The guys an Einstein :D

I love this car crash in motion, amber and her wonky boobs, teeth and eyes and her simpleton attitude is typical of that certain type of chav, as for the woman taking a dump in the washeteria bin I was :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    Wow there are some nasty judgemental comments on here. If you can write stuff like that you're really in no position to slag off others. Rowan...'the amber thing'...wtf does that mean?? Seems like a perfectly nice girl to me & a whole lot more respectful of others than you. Nuff said!

Ah, don't read too much into it, you know what the internetz is like - home of the throwaway comment. We've all been guilty of that ;)
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched both episodes again :o and spotted a few things. The first episode in the highrise flat with romeo the market trader and his dozy girlfriend, did anyone see the state of the blinds that were so full of nicotine they were yellow ! The dozy gorlfriend was using a bowl for an ashtray...... rank !
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harpurhey is on the road I take into Manchester so I pass through quite a bit. I even had to walk though once, at 2am.

However grim it looks on TV, it's nothing compared to the real glamour of the place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    I have watched both episodes again :o and spotted a few things. The first episode in the highrise flat with romeo the market trader and his dozy girlfriend, did anyone see the state of the blinds that were so full of nicotine they were yellow ! The dozy gorlfriend was using a bowl for an ashtray...... rank !

Have you never been into a working mans pup or bingo hall, most have not been done up since the smoking ban, everything looks yellow lol.

The worst is electrical equipment from smokers places, the stench from them is at times overpowering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kazzabeee wrote: »
    Amber was not offered a place in Drama School. She was offered a conditional place at Essex University. Funny how my daughter got proper letters from the unis she applied for but Amber gets texts! There are no loans/grants available for Drama School, you have to pay for everything!

It looked to me like she was reading an e-mail/website rather than a text.