Football Commentators Thread (Part 15)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,738
Administrator
jda135 wrote: »
Nice one.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1662208

Comments

• Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I liked how that crap joke was clearly the impetus for the last part of the thread to be closed down. Kindly leave the stage.
    • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
      Forum Member
      I liked how that crap joke was clearly the impetus for the last part of the thread to be closed down. Kindly leave the stage.

1-0 Mods :)
    • CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I think Schmeichel was superb tonight and offered real insight and knowledge. Wasn't afraid to disagree with Redknapp and Souness either. Was good on the De Gea debate also. I think Readingfan was wrong saying

"Not convinced about Schmeichel either. When you consider some of the pundits Sky have at their disposal, using Schmeichel and Redknapp isn't exactly inspiring."
    • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
      Forum Member
      I'm a little disappointed Sky didn't show at least the goals from Shakhtar v Dortmund. Anyway I caught them on the Events Centre even though it's on it's arse, Commentators were Gary Weaver and Garry Birtles
    • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Real Madrid v Manchester United

Presenter: Bill O'Herlihy
      With: John Giles, Liam Brady & Eamon Dunphy
      Commentators: George Hamilton & Ray Houghton
      Reporter: Peter Collins

Highlights:
      Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund - Ger Canning
      Celtic v Juventus - Ger Canning
      Valencia v PSG - Tony O'Donohue
    • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
      Forum Member
    • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
      Forum Member
      I think Schmeichel was superb tonight and offered real insight and knowledge. Wasn't afraid to disagree with Redknapp and Souness either. Was good on the De Gea debate also. I think Readingfan was wrong saying

Schmeichel was good but talked too much at the expense of Souness who doesn't seem to mind taking a back seat.

His squid remark was amusing :D
    • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,533
      Forum Member

It was not that bad a debut to be honest. Neither goal was "headed up" but the trademark scream was subdued and I was surprised. In the 2nd half he really made a point of not over-talking.

Can't say Barton is any good nor has he ever been, but it wasn't full-on disaster at least.

Was impressed with Gus' player identification and the fact that he sounded semi-knowledgeable. He said in an article he still had "a lot to learn" and hopefully he continues to improve.

Right now he's about a 4/10 grade level commentator. We have maybe one good American commentator (John Strong) so this would be a huge plus for us.

His first PL game is Man City/Chelsea with Lee Dixon as co-comm. Does Dixon do co-comm duties for the BBC on radio or TV?
    • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Boca Juniors V Deportivo Toluca (Copa Libertadores Group 1)

Tim Caple for ESPN UK
    • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,976
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      His first PL game is Man City/Chelsea with Lee Dixon as co-comm. Does Dixon do co-comm duties for the BBC on radio or TV?

As of this season Lee's joined ITV but I don't think he ever did do any co-commentary for the Beeb on TV. Not sure about radio.
    • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,072
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      As of this season Lee's joined ITV but I don't think he ever did do any co-commentary for the Beeb on TV. Not sure about radio.

He used to co-commentate on Radio 5 Live about half a dozen times a season throughout his run as a regular on Match of the Day and MOTD2, right up until the end of last season. By the end of his spell at the BBC, he was one of the more prominent co-commentators on their Champions League coverage, he would typically cover UCL games rather than those played at weekends (although he did have a stint as studio pundit on Sunday's 5 Live Sport).
    • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
      Forum Member
      Al Jazeera Sports always take the Sky feed for all their Champions League games.

They use the World Feed on all their other games apart from the big games they show where sometime they use their own comms on +3, like Tony Jones, Joe Speight, Peter Drury & Tim Caple.

All in all its a very good package and i for one glad i have it, although its a shame out 15 Sports channels they have, only 3 are HD.
    • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      It was Ben and Didi Hamann on Shaktar last night

Approximately 17 people watched.
    • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,727
      Forum Member
      bwfcol wrote: »
      It was Ben and Didi Hamann on Shaktar last night

Approximately 17 people watched.

And Sky can eff right off for not showing the goals at the end of the Real v Man U match. When they'd had the best part of 2 hours build-up, I don't think stopping on air for another 10 minutes at the end would have been that great a hardship.
    • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,245
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Yeah I thought that was a really poor touch from Sky. I was watching in a pub and had no idea at all of what the Dortmund score was. I stayed after expecting that Sky would have their usual highlights programme (in one form or another) but for some reason they clearly coujldn't be bothered! It didn't help that on twitter Gary Neville had made a point of saying that the Dortmund game would be a great one too and worth catching!
      Forum Member
    • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      John Hardy had tweeted to say there'll be no Welsh language commentary for the next World Cup matches for Wales against Scotland and Croatia next month through Sky Sports' red button facility.

Shame.
      Forum Member
      Wednesday 20 February on RTE Two

AC Milan v Barcelona- Darragh Maloney is joined by Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton to present. Commentary by George Hamilton and Trevor Steven.
    • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
      Forum Member
      Al Jazeera Sport +3 - 17:00-22:30

Richard Keys with Ray Houghton, Alan Curbishley & Andy Gray.

Sparta Prague v Chelsea - Mark Scott
      Spurs v Lyon - Phil Blacker

World Feeds

17:00
      Anzhi v Hannover - Tim White
      Zenit St Petersberg v Liverpool - Rob Daly

18:00
      Ajax V Steaua Bucharest - Adam Summerton
      BATE Borisov v Fenerbahce - Adam Bates
      Bayer Leverkusen v Benfica - Phil Blacker
      Dynamo Kiev v Bordeaux - Jonathan Beck
      Levante v Olympiakos - Simon Watts
      Napoli v Plzen - Andrew Raeburn

20:05
      Atletico Madrid v Rubin Kazan - Rob Daly
      Borussia Monchengladbach v Lazio - - Simon Watts
      FC Basel v Dnipro - Adam Summerton
      Inter Milan v CFR Cluj-Napoca - Adam Bates
      VfB Stuttgart v Genk - Andrew Raeburn
      Newcastle v Met'st Kharkiv - Jonathan Beck
      Spurs v Lyon - Phil Blacker
    • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
      Forum Member
      Is it me or is the ITV4 picture really blocky and poor this evening?
      Usually its an excellent PQ..

Still, liking Peter Drury on comms.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Yes, Drury was alongside Beglin and Matt is at White Hart Lane with Gareth Southgate (like Steven Gerrard, a rare run-out in the Europa League) and Gordon Strachan. Meanwhile on ESPN it's Ray with Didi Hamman and Steve McManaman. Champion and Burley on the Chelsea game, Rae and Waddle at Newcastle.

Intriguingly next week ITV start at 7.45 again despite the fact the early game is a 6pm kick-off so ITV4 are going on until eight o'clock. Be intriguing to see how ITV cope with being on two channels at once.
    • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Yes, Drury was alongside Beglin and Matt is at White Hart Lane with Gareth Southgate (like Steven Gerrard, a rare run-out in the Europa League) and Gordon Strachan. Meanwhile on ESPN it's Ray with Didi Hamman and Steve McManaman. Champion and Burley on the Chelsea game, Rae and Waddle at Newcastle.

Intriguingly next week ITV start at 7.45 again despite the fact the early game is a 6pm kick-off so ITV4 are going on until eight o'clock. Be intriguing to see how ITV cope with being on two channels at once.

ITV hasn't picked its games for next week yet. It could be both 8.05pm kick-offs
    • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ariusuk wrote: »
      ITV hasn't picked its games for next week yet. It could be both 8.05pm kick-offs

I don't think they'll do that as they'll be splitting their audience. I think they'll go with Liverpool v Zenit as the 8.05pm kick off then see who looks the better bet between Newcastle and Tottenham for the early kick off.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Be intriguing to see how ITV cope with being on two channels at once.
      ariusuk wrote: »

Well, the point still remains, doesn't it? I don't know in what circunstances ITV would choose a Chelsea home match when they're leading from the away leg at the same time as a Liverpool game, when the other two look set to be far more competive even at this stage. If both Spurs and Newcastle win or lose 10-0, maybe.
    • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Surely ITV will show the Spurs and Liverpool 2nd legs after tonights results.
    This discussion has been closed.